PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How to connect to a remote system

aprashanth
May 1st, 2009, 10:17 AM
I have two system connected in lan.. and both of the system has ubuntu (Linux) as the operating system...

I am not able to have access from one system to the other..

I tried using the command ssh mike@xx.xx.xx.xx
I am getting an error as below

ssh: connect to host xx.xx.xx.xx port 22: Connection refused

please help

coutts99
May 1st, 2009, 10:18 AM
Is ssh enabled? Is there a firewall blocking it?

Sub101
May 1st, 2009, 10:21 AM
I would suggest you need to install the openssh-server.

sudo apt-get install openssh-server

aprashanth
May 1st, 2009, 11:28 AM
I have installed ssh by the command given by you
sudo apt-get install openssh-server

still i am getting the same error
ssh: connect to host xx.xx.xx.xx port 22: Connection refused

aprashanth
May 1st, 2009, 11:30 AM
Is ssh enabled? Is there a firewall blocking it?
I have installed ssh..

How can i know that the fire wall is blocking me..
I am very new to this..

neu2buntu
May 1st, 2009, 11:34 AM
do code in terminal
gksu ufw status this will show firewall status............................................ .................................................. .....also look at man page for ufw to see how to punch hole in firewall for your connection...
man ufw

aprashanth
May 1st, 2009, 12:42 PM
do code in terminal
gksu ufw status this will show firewall status............................................ .................................................. .....also look at man page for ufw to see how to punch hole in firewall for your connection...
man ufw
I am getting this error message

root@photon:/home/mike# gksu ufw status
No protocol specified

(gksu:10318): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display: :0.0
root@photon:/home/mike#

neu2buntu
May 1st, 2009, 12:47 PM
are you running as root already ie "root@photon:/home/mike" just run as your normal user and try commands again....

aprashanth
May 1st, 2009, 12:53 PM
are you running as root already ie "root@photon:/home/mike" just run as your normal user and try commands again....
Sorry i am very new to all these...

when i am giving command as a normal user.. a dialog box pops up and asks me for password..when i gave the user password it is not acepting.. neither is it accepting the super user password...

now how to proceed ??????

neu2buntu
May 1st, 2009, 12:57 PM
the passwords dont show (as if they have not even been typed) just type your user password and hit enter..... also running as root is a bad idea for security risks and doing damage to your file system,if you make a mistake.... thats where the "gksu" and "sudo" commands come in,... they allow the execution of the 1 command as root

neu2buntu
May 1st, 2009, 01:04 PM
ooops just realised "gksu" open a seperate dialog box,.. the password will show as blanked out letters ie circles....then press ok

aprashanth
May 1st, 2009, 01:04 PM
the passwords dont show (as if they have not even been typed) just type your user password and hit enter..... also running as root is a bad idea for security risks and doing damage to your file system,if you make a mistake.... thats where the "gksu" and "sudo" commands come in,... they allow the execution of the 1 command as root
ok... now I got it

Its giving the firewall is not loaded..

neu2buntu
May 1st, 2009, 01:11 PM
try this on the other ubuntu box too...... am not really sure if i can be of much more help here.... have you the correct cable for connecting the 2 machines ie crossover cable.. be very specific when posting as it will help others to help you...

aprashanth
May 1st, 2009, 01:17 PM
try this on the other ubuntu box too...... am not really sure if i can be of much more help here.... have you the correct cable for connecting the 2 machines ie crossover cable.. be very specific when posting as it will help others to help you...
yes it is connected well..there is no doubt in it..

pwaldo
May 1st, 2009, 01:34 PM
Try these steps. Hydra is the machine I will SSH to.

This command will tell if you have network connectivity to the remote machine:

paul@zeus:~$ ping -q -c 2 hydra
PING hydra.waldo.home (172.16.0.5) 56(84) bytes of data.

--- hydra.waldo.home ping statistics ---
2 packets transmitted, 2 received, 0% packet loss, time 1006ms
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 0.146/0.166/0.187/0.024 ms

If you have anything other than "0% packet loss", you have deeper network problems. Now let's see if the remote machine is listening for SSH connections on port 22:

paul@zeus:~$ telnet hydra 22
Trying 172.16.0.5...
Connected to hydra.waldo.home.
Escape character is '^]'.
SSH-2.0-OpenSSH_4.7p1 Debian-8ubuntu1.2
^]
telnet> quit
Connection closed.

Note that I hit Control-close-square-bracket to get the telnet prompt in order to quit. This shows that indeed hydra is listening on port 22 and that it is the OpenSSH server that is doing the listening. Here is an example of what you would get if there is no server listening or a firewall is blocking:

paul@zeus:~$ telnet hydra 23
Trying 172.16.0.5...
telnet: Unable to connect to remote host: Connection refused

If you get a positive response from the telnet to port 22, try ssh again. If not, you need to get logged into the remote machine to continue finding out what is going on. So once on the remote machine, we first see if OpenSSH is installed and if it is running:

paul@hydra:~$ dpkg -l openssh-server
Desired=Unknown/Install/Remove/Purge/Hold
| Status=Not/Installed/Config-f/Unpacked/Failed-cfg/Half-inst/t-aWait/T-pend
|/ Err?=(none)/Hold/Reinst-required/X=both-problems (Status,Err: uppercase=bad)
||/ Name Version Description
+++-========================-========================-================================================== ==============
ii openssh-server 1:4.7p1-8ubuntu1.2 secure shell server, an rshd replacement

"ii" at the beginning of the line indicates SSH is installed. Now lets see if SSH is running:

paul@hydra:~$ sudo netstat -anp|grep :22
tcp6 0 0 :::22 :::* LISTEN 6548/sshd
tcp6 0 0 172.16.0.5:22 172.16.0.8:54347 ESTABLISHED 14736/sshd: paul [p

This shows us that sshd is listening for connections on port 22. Lastly, we check the firewall:

paul@hydra:~$ sudo ufw status
Firewall not loaded

Hopefully these steps should point out where the problem is. If not, please post the results of all of these commands. Good luck!

Paul