PDA

View Full Version : Be careful what you sign up for!

thewolfman
May 1st, 2009, 08:05 AM
I live in Germany and like every modern country that has a good IT infrastructure; it finds itself open to abuse.

The problem is that there are too many crooks out there waiting to get their hands on our money by whatever means possible, read the next paragraph for a run-down of what happened to me.

Whilst showing someone how the basics of the internet work and by way of demonstration; I signed up for a "Free" peer-2-peer service, okay so I entered my email address and gave them an address and thought no more about it, little did I know that within 3 weeks I would be getting a bill for 84 Euros with a 2 year contract because hidden in the terms and conditions was a little thing saying that I was signing up for a cost intensive user contract.
This of course is not legal but many people do/did pay, I didn't and when these people finally came to court, they received a 26,000 Euro fine and were told not to do it again. They must of made a fortune stealing money from innocent people but the law (being an ***) made it worth their while.

Btw, their lawyer was also in on the scam!.

Does this sort of thing happen in other countries and if so where.

Happy May Day.

Sef
May 1st, 2009, 08:30 AM
Any country you can find that in.

billgoldberg
May 1st, 2009, 09:43 AM
Standard scam.

I have had stuff send to my home without me asking for it.

In the package (it were books) there was a bill for 100+ euro.

I just laughed my *** off. Hey I just got some free books.

They sent a few letters to scare me but it didn't work.