PDA

View Full Version : Need a good monitor. Suggestions?

Iandefor
January 8th, 2006, 11:24 PM
I'm beginning to feel cramped with my current 15'' 1024x768 monitor. Anybody have any suggestions for a good monitor that's bigger than that? It needs to show text well and have an analog (VGA) input. I don't particularly care about whether it's an LCD or CRT.

lotusleaf
January 9th, 2006, 01:46 AM
My 2 cents: CRT's cost more at the end of each year in electricity, plus expose you to more radiation. "R.I.P. Cathode ray tube monitor" (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/1459817.stm)

kairu0
January 9th, 2006, 01:48 AM
I would definitely go LCD. Smaller, portable, less electricity, doesn't heat the room up as much, no radiation worries.

And, best of all, your eyes will thank you for it.

BWF89
January 9th, 2006, 01:49 AM
My 2 cents: CRT's cost more at the end of each year in electricity, plus expose you to more radiation.
Yeah but with LCD monitors unless your looking at it directly the picture gets dark. That's been my experience with our iMac G5's at school.

Iandefor
January 9th, 2006, 02:02 AM
Yeah but with LCD monitors unless your looking at it directly the picture gets dark. That's been my experience with our iMac G5's at school. The G5's at my school have no such problem... but, then again, they both use those ginormous Apple Cinematic Screens :). I 'm starting to think CRT is not what I need... big, bulky, high power drain. I'd like something that's a little less power-draining, but know of no alternatives to CRT aside from LCD which has analog input. Okay, so how about a good LCD?

majikstreet
January 9th, 2006, 02:27 AM
i dunno about monitors, all I can say is my eyes hurt from staring at a monitor all day.

Omnios
January 9th, 2006, 02:36 AM
You might want to check your local stores for Viewsonic CRT monitors. Aperently Viewsonic is dumping there old crts at extreem discount prices. I picked up a 19 inch A91f+ for about $230 Canadian and its like a .22mm with diffent lighting switch for reading and gaming.

mstlyevil
January 9th, 2006, 04:59 AM
Any LCD from Samsung and the evil Sony is better than most of their counterparts. You pay a preminum price for it though.

souled
January 9th, 2006, 05:11 AM
How about one of these (http://www.engadget.com/2005/12/03/the-dell-3007wfp-dell-brings-the-30-inch-lcd-love/)bad boys. Yours for the low price of $2199! ;-)

Iandefor
January 9th, 2006, 05:17 AM
How about one of these (http://www.engadget.com/2005/12/03/the-dell-3007wfp-dell-brings-the-30-inch-lcd-love/)bad boys. Yours for the low price of $2199! ;-) I'll buy two! Who cares that one of those costs about 7 times as much as I paid for my computer?

kairu0
January 9th, 2006, 05:18 AM
i dunno about monitors, all I can say is my eyes hurt from staring at a monitor all day.

Oh, you're still using a monitor? I'm getting live ubuntuforums feeds beemed onto my retinal surface 24/7 by the KGB.

Iandefor
January 9th, 2006, 05:18 AM
Oh, you're still using a monitor? I'm getting live ubuntuforums feeds beemed onto my retinal surface 24/7 by the KGB. mm... is that at all like Lasik?

briancurtin
January 9th, 2006, 06:05 AM
i was going to suggest the 30" dell monitor, but was beaten. however, heres another article on it for those interested in reading up: http://hardware.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=06/01/08/1543202&tid=196

Iandefor
February 28th, 2006, 07:52 AM
Oooh! Ooh! Let's bump the thread!

GreyFox503
February 28th, 2006, 08:18 AM
LCD Monitors:CRT as Laptop: Desktops.

They are more expensive, have potential ghosting, potential dead pixels, have a fixed native resolution (requires upscaling of other resolutions) and generally don't display as accurate & high quality an image as a CRT of the same price. The only real advantage they have is that they are smaller, lighter, and consume less electricity.

LCD Monitors don't seem any easier on my eyes than a properly set up CRT. And you're also going to be staring into a large source of light. Many LCD's come set way too bright.

The radiation from CRTs is a non-issue. It does emit radiation, but it's no more harmful to you than staring at anything else, like your TV. It's not nuclear radiation. Just the time spent sitting in a chair all day will do you more harm.

In short: I would always go with a CRT unless it has to be small or light.

This is a PSA from an LCD Monitor owner.. :)... because I have to.

As for the brand... either way, Samsung has yet to let me down. And they aren't evil, to my knowledge.

mips
February 28th, 2006, 08:36 AM
Amen,

You are not going to get the same picture quality from a LCD as you would from a CRT unless you buy a very expensive Lacie or something like that.

Most Photoshop people still shun LCD because of colour & level consistancy issues.

I'm very happy with my hp p1230 21" CRT which HP no longer makes. Only downside for me is the space it takes up.

GreyFox503
February 28th, 2006, 08:46 AM
Yeah, it's a shame that many manufacturers are stopping production of their CRTs. I wonder how long it will be before CRTs are a very niche market?

mips
February 28th, 2006, 09:21 PM
Unfortunately it is the same same with all things in life, the best does not always win the war/market over the mediocre. It's all about marketing & perception....

WildTangent
March 1st, 2006, 12:20 AM
If I could, I'd take my 21" flat IBM CRT to the grave with me. And I wouldn't be surprised if it happened either, CRTs last A LONG TIME!

-Wild

darkoptix
March 1st, 2006, 12:23 AM
I lub my 19' Samsung SyncMaster 930B. Great upgrade my my old CRT. I would totally recommend a LCD over CRT.

midwinter
March 1st, 2006, 12:50 AM
My 21" Dell CRT died yesterday :(

I'm hoping to replace it with something similar off ebay for $100-$200AU, I don't even want to think about the cost of a similar spec LCD... which probably couldn't even match the resolutions I am used to.

Iandefor
March 1st, 2006, 12:51 AM
Interesting. So, CRT's then? Excellent. Well, thank y'all so much for your suggestions!

senorian
March 1st, 2006, 05:35 PM
Consider warranty and especially how easy it is to get in contact with the manufacturers technical service dept.
I have a Viewsonic VG191b LCD. It came with a 3 year warranty. A few months after the warranty ended the text began to be fuzzy when the computer was switched on. At first the text cleared up in about 5 minutes but now it is taking more like 15 minutes.
The Viewsonic technical phone #(for canada) said that the mail box was full. I have one estimate from a computer repair shop of 250 US dollars.
If you are consideing a Dell product first attempt to contact their technical help phone # (as a home consumer, it is different for a business account)
good luck

<L-S>Amero
March 1st, 2006, 05:56 PM
Good morning from Vancouver canada My wife was nice enough to by me an LCD Nec 19 inch multisync 1970gx about a year and a half ago I am really happy with it It cost around 550.00 back then so they have dropped in price

Very very Happy with it
Color is great and best of all it has a 8 mm responce time

Cheers <L-S>Amero:cool:

Alpha_toxic
March 1st, 2006, 06:12 PM
If you spend more time in front of the monitor go for a LCD. Picture quality is one, but you're gonna need your eyes for the rest of your life...
I'd suggest sth like Samsung 713N or 740N. As I recall Those are 17' , 8ms, and about 250$. Actually everything that has response time under 8ms is good.