PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] preferred mulimedia application

Messyhair42
May 1st, 2009, 05:38 AM
under system>preferences>preferred applications>multimedia there's a custom option. i would like files such as .avi and .mkv to open in VLC by default b/c currently when i click it defaults to totem which never has the right codecs and i always have to force quit the app.

Bucky Ball
May 1st, 2009, 05:43 AM
Click custom and in the command line type:

vlc

Not sure if that is the correct command to run it, but you need to enter the command that will get it to run from a terminal.

* Update: After a quick check, that looks like the command. Type vlc, try to open something that normally opens in Totem (know what you mean, never use it) and let us know. :)

Messyhair42
May 1st, 2009, 05:48 AM
i made the command change and i just tried to normally open an .avi file, opens movie player, and it tells me "error occured...following decoders...MP3...XVID MPEG layer 4"

Bucky Ball
May 1st, 2009, 05:54 AM
Ah ha. Have you added Medibuntu repository to your sources? This contains many third-party codecs and applications, which is why you need to add it manually (will also add skype to Synaptics along with a bunch of other things). If your okay with that:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Medibuntu#Adding%20the%20Repositories

Add the version for 9.04 and the keyring and you should be good to go after updates.

Regards Bucky (alias Messyhair48!)

Messyhair42
May 1st, 2009, 05:56 AM
i've got medibuntu enabled. but some things still aren't opening in vlc, i've got run in terminal checked and the custom option under multimedia.

Bucky Ball
May 1st, 2009, 06:10 AM
Uncheck run in terminal. Not right.

Messyhair42
May 1st, 2009, 06:46 AM
still no change