PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu on a Touchscreen tablet pc?

Blackbagger
May 1st, 2009, 04:06 AM
Hi, I'm new to the forum, but a big fan of ubuntu and linux in general, and have been playing around with several versions of linux on my eeePC over the last year, which brings me to my question...

I picked up a Kohjinsha SC3 tablet PC about a month ago: 1.33 GHz Atom, 2 Gig of Ram, 60 Gig hard drive, touch screen, built in tv tuner, win XP.

I like my little Kohjinsha and have tweaked the touch screen to be very responsive especially in Firefox, but I've been thinking the whole thing might be a lot more usable with Ubuntu. My 1 question is about hardware. Does anyone know what the steps are to get a touchscreen working in Ubuntu. I'd love it if the system would set it up for me, as I'm a semi-linux noob, but I wouldn't be too adverse to jumping through some hoops if I could get it all working. Any advice?

Mark Phelps
May 1st, 2009, 04:12 AM
Tablet functionality has been integrated into Ubuntu 9.04, so I would suggest you boot from a LiveCD and try it out. That will give you a feel for how well Ubuntu detects and handles the hardware.

Blackbagger
May 1st, 2009, 04:12 AM
Sorry, found info I was looking for. Please delete this post.

Blackbagger
May 1st, 2009, 04:13 AM
Thanks for the quick reply. I'm gonna try it out later tonight.

Brunello
May 5th, 2009, 10:31 AM
Hi,

Blackbagger did you install ubuntu 9.04 on your Kohjinsha SC3?
Which problems do you find?
I'm waiting my SC3 from Korea but I read some people has big problems to boot ubuntu, and some problems to use the ethernet.

Thank you.
Bruno

Blackbagger
May 7th, 2009, 06:46 AM
Hi, I haven't installed it yet. I've been toying with either installing Windows 7 or Ubuntu on it. I've heard people got Windows 7 working fine, but others saying it was almost impossible. I've heard the same thing about Ubuntu.

My gut says it must be partially to do with the version of the SC3 you have. The one you ordered, will it come with Vista or XP? I have an XP model and I have a feeling it's the XP packaged ones that are having the problems. But I still need to check around.

Brunello
May 7th, 2009, 08:31 AM
Hi,

SC3 arrived yesterday, really small, I like it :)
I don't know which version I received, but it arrived with Vista installed, but I asked also the WinXP iso file to the seller on ebay. So I found on the hard disk 11MB of XP iso file, and about 350MB of XP drivers. The XP iso file is really small I hope it can run, but I don't know :(
Yesterday I tried to boot with USB pen with ubuntu desktop 9.04. on it. It works, but I haven't yet installed. Ubuntu doesn't recognize wireless and ethernet devices :confused:

Now I'd like install WinXP, then I'd like put on it Ubuntu with dual boot.

Bruno