PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Unable to connect to wired access

ArchieBunker
May 1st, 2009, 03:50 AM
I'm new to Ubuntu and Linux in general, but I like learning new things and I'm not going to give up on this. I switched over from Windows, because I really like MythTV. So I built a new machine and installed Mythbuntu 8.10 (I assume it's the same Ubuntu version). At any rate, I'm at a dead end trying to get network connection. When I had Windows installed, I just plugged in the ethernet cable and it worked, but I haven't had the same luck with Ubuntu.

I've been through the message boards and tried a few different things. I found the jamesonwilliams script fix, but that didn't work...or I didn't execute it properly. At any rate, here's some of my info:

Lan Chipset: Realtek 8111C

lspci | grep Ethernet
Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 02)

uname -mro
2.6.27-7-generic i686 GNU/Linux

I would be glad to provide any other information that would help. Thanks!

mousestalker
May 1st, 2009, 11:35 AM
Have you tried disabling "Wake on LAN" in your computer's bios?

Butthead
May 1st, 2009, 07:02 PM
Try running the "Recovery" option in the Grub menu and have it fix any broken packages.

Seems to have worked in my case.

Butthead
May 2nd, 2009, 01:52 AM
Disregard. Mine is not working again either. :(

eworthy
May 2nd, 2009, 02:03 AM
Yep same here. Wired network was working fine in this inspiron 2200 but died upon doing a "distribution upgrade" 9.04. Wireless is working.
I can't believe with the testing and maturity of Ubuntu that this has happened.

eworthy
May 2nd, 2009, 02:48 AM
my bad. wired only said it wasn't working. In fact there was a DHCP error which I caused :( which was the problem. It still says "not managed" but it is working fine.

ArchieBunker
May 2nd, 2009, 05:11 AM
Thanks for the suggestions. I can't find the WoL option in my BIOS, but I also can't find an energy setting either. Anyone know where this is on Asrock BIOS?

mousestalker
May 3rd, 2009, 02:40 AM
Thanks for the suggestions. I can't find the WoL option in my BIOS, but I also can't find an energy setting either. Anyone know where this is on Asrock BIOS?

What motherboard?

ArchieBunker
May 3rd, 2009, 02:53 AM
Asrock A780FullHD

H.K.Murmu
May 3rd, 2009, 04:04 AM
I have the same problem and always use pppoeconf to connect internet. But now I am able to connect through network manager applet no need to open a terminal.

To connect through ADSL modem you have to configure your modem device by self or take it to your service provider. Once configured then follow the steps
1:-system----adminstration------user and groups
2:-In user setting select user-----properties---check the box "connect to internet using modem" and "connect to wireless and ethernet networks" then close
3:- open network manager applet from panel under DSL ---ADD---Edit DSL connection-----in tab DSL provide internet userid and password and under tab IPv4 setting select "automatic pppoe" and then close(perhaps require restart system not sure)
4:-In pannel left click network manager applet and click the radio button
5-now you are connected to internet through Network manager Applet

ArchieBunker
May 3rd, 2009, 05:52 AM
H.K.Murmu Re: Unable to connect to wired access
I have the same problem and always use pppoeconf to connect internet. But now I am able to connect through network manager applet no need to open a terminal.

To connect through ADSL modem you have to configure your modem device by self or take it to your service provider. Once configured then follow the steps
2:-In user setting select user-----properties---check the box "connect to internet using modem" and "connect to wireless and ethernet networks" then close
3:- open network manager applet from panel under DSL ---ADD---Edit DSL connection-----in tab DSL provide internet userid and password and under tab IPv4 setting select "automatic pppoe" and then close(perhaps require restart system not sure)
4:-In pannel left click network manager applet and click the radio button

Thanks for the suggestion. This isn't practical for me, because I connect to a router and not the modem directly(without going into a big explanation, it is a necessity to do it this way). That being said, I did connect directly to my modem with the machine I'm having issues with, then went through your steps. Much to my displeasure, still no connection.

H.K.Murmu
May 3rd, 2009, 05:56 AM

3:- open network manager applet from panel under DSL ---ADD---Edit DSL connection-----in tab DSL provide internet userid and password and under tab IPv4 setting select "automatic pppoe" and then close(perhaps require restart system, not sure)

4:-In panel left click network manager applet and click the radio button

Best of luck

ArchieBunker
May 3rd, 2009, 06:09 AM
Did you mean to post that again?

mousestalker
May 3rd, 2009, 01:23 PM
All Asrock mobos have 'wake on lan' (http://www.asrock.com/support/faq.asp?c=General), apparently. The only way I see to disable it in your bios is to navigate to the ACPI configuration screen and make sure 'PCI Devices Power On' is set to 'disabled'. If it already is and you still have this problem, then we can rule this one out.

ArchieBunker
May 4th, 2009, 05:14 AM
mousestalker Re: Unable to connect to wired access
All Asrock mobos have 'wake on lan' (http://www.asrock.com/support/faq.asp?c=General), apparently. The only way I see to disable it in your bios is to navigate to the ACPI configuration screen and make sure 'PCI Devices Power On' is set to 'disabled'. If it already is and you still have this problem, then we can rule this one out.

It was already set to disable.

drjackal
May 21st, 2009, 09:14 PM
please! how does one unlock his user? all my settings seem to have been frozen!!