PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Can't log onto my schools vpn

tentel
May 1st, 2009, 02:52 AM
In order to get online at my college, I have to get onto their wireless network, which is local only, and from there I have to get onto a VPN in order to access the Internet.

Using Jaunty 9.04, I simply cannot get this to work.

Here are my schools directions for using the VPN with linux:

http://www.umassd.edu/cits/wireless/

scroll down a little bit to "VPN setup and your notebook"

right below that is a link to a pdf that lists the steps to take.

It tells me to use VPN Connection Manger (PPP Generic), but I can't find it in Add/Remove programs

I found another vpn manager, but it won't connect to the vpn.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks
-Tim

Hobgoblin
May 1st, 2009, 03:52 AM
right below that is a link to a pdf that lists the steps to take.

It tells me to use VPN Connection Manger (PPP Generic), but I can't find it in Add/Remove programs

Did you try just clicking the network manager icon as per those instructions, VPN is there on mine though I still have 8.10

Young Burnsy
May 1st, 2009, 06:03 AM
Did you try just clicking the network manager icon as per those instructions, VPN is there on mine though I still have 8.10

The pptn setup is different in the newer version. The OP an I are friends and go to the school and there for are having the same problem.

I just installed Easy Peasy 1.1 on my eee 900 and I have tried to use the 'built-in' version of the pptn vpn setup. Which does not work since there is no 'refuse EAP' option which is required by our VPN. See here (PDF link) http://www.umassd.edu/cits/wireless/vpn_linux.pdf
Every time I attempt to connect to the VPN using this pptn the server refuses to make a connection.

So I decide to try Kvpnc even though Easy Peasy is a Gnome interface. Now Kvpnc will connect to the VPN fine and authenticates as it should, how ever the web browser (Firefox 3) functions as if the VPN is not connected. Meaning it still redirects me to the default 'How to connect to the VPN' site.
I spent a while trying to figure this out today to no avail an asked a friend who is a redhat/fedora user and he had no suggestions except to try a different pptn client?(not sure if I am using the right terminology here)

So I'm stuck. Any suggestions?

Qwerty_
May 1st, 2009, 07:10 AM
I cant connect the VPN at my uni either. When I try to add a VPN from the icon in the top right hand corner. The button to add a VPN from the VPN section is greyed out and I cannot click it.

Young Burnsy
May 1st, 2009, 01:12 PM
I cant connect the VPN at my uni either. When I try to add a VPN from the icon in the top right hand corner. The button to add a VPN from the VPN section is greyed out and I cannot click it.

You need to add a pptn client from the synaptic manager.

Qwerty_
May 6th, 2009, 02:37 AM
Thanks Burnsy ill test it out.