PDA

View Full Version : Why does openSUSE rape Ubuntu so badly on laptops?

garythegoth
May 1st, 2009, 01:47 AM
Ive been trying to create a USB install of Ubuntu for my laptop for 2 days. 8.04, 8.10 and 9.04 wont boot after various different configurations. I try my old openSUSE 11.1 disc and it works perfectly.

Why is this?

myusername
May 1st, 2009, 02:01 AM
unetbootin? or the usb creator? try both. opensuse sucks on my laptop

SunnyRabbiera
May 1st, 2009, 02:02 AM
It might be the hardware or the laptop in general, Ubuntu can work on laptops though, just because you have issues with your laptop doesnt mean its a universal issue...

garythegoth
May 1st, 2009, 02:06 AM
Tried both, the USB Startup Disk Creator works fine, but Im trying to install Ubuntu to the USB stick. No version of Ubuntu will work. Modprobe always fails with all versions. 8.04 wont even boot the Live CD into X-Server. openSUSE has always worked perfectly when Ive tried it, ubuntu on the other hand hasnt. The only reason I use it is because of the more straight forward approach. Unfortunately Fedora and co havent quite realised what Canonical did about ease of use....

geekygirl
May 1st, 2009, 02:17 AM
I tried openSUSE 11.1 on my laptop and it sucked. The screen resolution was unable to be detected (unlike Ubuntu), none of the Fn keys worked (an issue with Ubuntu but will be fixed with kernel 2.6.30 and a current kernel patch solved it for now) and it was very laggy in comparison.

Guess it depends on the laptop, but I was always given the impression that openSUSE had excellent hardware support OOB, not so with my Vaio TT, Ubuntu just pwnd openSUSE's butt lol

garythegoth
May 1st, 2009, 02:24 AM
I tried openSUSE 11.1 on my laptop and it sucked. The screen resolution was unable to be detected (unlike Ubuntu), none of the Fn keys worked (an issue with Ubuntu but will be fixed with kernel 2.6.30 and a current kernel patch solved it for now) and it was very laggy in comparison.

Guess it depends on the laptop, but I was always given the impression that openSUSE had excellent hardware support OOB, not so with my Vaio TT, Ubuntu just pwnd openSUSE's butt lol

Hmmm fair enough. Thats one of the downsides to Linux. There are so many diffferent variations that may or may not work its utterly mind numbing.

Wes7
May 1st, 2009, 02:29 AM
Ubuntu kicks ***, enough said guys :)

garythegoth
May 1st, 2009, 02:30 AM
Ubuntu kicks ***, enough said guys :)

Not really. Only Intrepid has been a highlight. Jaunty and Hardy are both experiences I would currently like to forget.

dmizer
May 1st, 2009, 02:35 AM
Hmmm fair enough. Thats one of the downsides to Linux. There are so many diffferent variations that may or may not work its utterly mind numbing.

If it wasn't for the different variations of Linux, you'd be stuck with Fedora or Debian with no option but to compile kernels for your laptop's hardware. This is what you have in Windows. If it doesn't work there's no alternative.

But instead, you had the option of going to OpenSUSE and it worked "perfectly". How is this a bad thing?

garythegoth
May 1st, 2009, 02:39 AM
If it wasn't for the different variations of Linux, you'd be stuck with Fedora or Debian with no option but to compile kernels for your laptop's hardware. This is what you have in Windows. If it doesn't work there's no alternative.

But instead, you had the option of going to OpenSUSE and it worked "perfectly". How is this a bad thing?

Its a bad thing for new users who arent aware of the dozens of different distros. I thought Ubuntu WAS linux when I first tried it. Boy was I wrong.

And isnt Linux the alternative?

forrestcupp
May 1st, 2009, 02:42 AM
Ive been trying to create a USB install of Ubuntu for my laptop for 2 days. 8.04, 8.10 and 9.04 wont boot after various different configurations. I try my old openSUSE 11.1 disc and it works perfectly.

Why is this?

You can't really compare a usb install to a disc. If you're trying discs, did you try Ubuntu's livecd?

garythegoth
May 1st, 2009, 02:48 AM
You can't really compare a usb install to a disc. If you're trying discs, did you try Ubuntu's livecd?

Yeah. 8.04 wont boot into X-Server. 8.10 wont boot into X-Server unless I turn off APIC at the Live CD boot menu. Although curiously 8.10 via a Live USB dosent have this problem. Even though its created from the same CD via USB Startup Disc Creator. Jaunty works fine in LiveCD mode, but like I said I was trying to install to the USB drive like I would to a hardrive. For me Ubuntu just wont work this way where openSUSE does flawlessly.

phrostbyte
May 1st, 2009, 02:57 AM
Why don't you search the forums for a solution? I had a common laptop that sucked with Ubuntu and I managed to find workarounds on a thread here that actually fixed pretty much all the issues with it. Worth a try.

garythegoth
May 1st, 2009, 03:02 AM
Why don't you search the forums for a solution? I had a common laptop that sucked with Ubuntu and I managed to find workarounds on a thread here that actually fixed pretty much all the issues with it. Worth a try.

I just want to install an operating system. Not find an endlessly supply of workarounds that will probably break with an update ot something. Anyway openSUSE will do perfectly until I get a new harddrive. So yeah :)

init1
May 1st, 2009, 03:07 AM
Realize that not everyone had the same laptop as you. No distro has perfect hardware support.

Arup
May 1st, 2009, 03:10 AM
New users should exert some patience, the Windoze world has dumbed down everyone. Years back during DOS days everyone configured their IRQ, same with NT, now all we have are brain dead victims of MS Wiblows brainwash and they have no patience at all. If their junk hardware doesn't run a flavor of Linux, its bad. Btw, the word FLAVOR is whats everything about Linux, every different kind of it. Unlike in Winbloze world where all you have is Vanilla recycled in a new pack in different names.

garythegoth
May 1st, 2009, 03:10 AM
Realize that not everyone had the same laptop as you. No distro has perfect hardware support.

I know not everybody has the same laptop as me but Ubuntu is the least able to run on laptops from my experience. When Ive tried to show friends what a Live CD is on their laptops, Ubuntu is the one that usually screws up the most.

garythegoth
May 1st, 2009, 03:12 AM
New users should exert some patience, the Windoze world has dumbed down everyone. Years back during DOS days everyone configured their IRQ, same with NT, now all we have are brain dead victims of MS Wiblows brainwash and they have no patience at all. If their junk hardware doesn't run a flavor of Linux, its bad. Btw, the word FLAVOR is whats everything about Linux, every different kind of it. Unlike in Winbloze world where all you have is Vanilla recycled in a new pack in different names.

Microsoft may be a mess but Windows XP and 7 are generally good products. Calling it Winbloze or whatever just makes you look childish.

dmizer
May 1st, 2009, 04:42 AM
I know not everybody has the same laptop as me but Ubuntu is the least able to run on laptops from my experience. When Ive tried to show friends what a Live CD is on their laptops, Ubuntu is the one that usually screws up the most.
Ubuntu certainly may suck on your laptop(s), but that's no reason to make such sweeping generalizations.

My experience has been quite the opposite. I have several laptops that won't run OpenSUSE, but will run Ubuntu. With the exception of one laptop (currently running Fedora), Ubuntu been the most capable. The most annoying problem I've encountered is that certain kinds of touchpads are not detected by the kernel. I've seen this on 2 of the 45 or so laptops I've installed Ubuntu on, so I'd say that's a pretty good track record. Especially considering about half of those were basically useless after installing Windows, required significant "tweaking" for basic functionality (net and video), and 4 wouldn't run an English version of Windows at all because they required Japanese drivers.

That said, I did have one NEC laptop with an SiS video card that required a significant amount of tweaking to get working but I did not try OpenSUSE.

Edit:
I was actually trying to make a point ...

Saying "Why does openSUSE rape Ubuntu so badly on laptops?" is ridiculous because obviously Ubuntu works for a great many people. Saying something like "Why does openSUSE rape Ubuntu so badly on my $manufacture $model laptop?" would have been far less sensational, far less flammable, and far more accurate.

CJ Master
May 1st, 2009, 04:48 AM
Personally it annoys the heck out of me when people create topics like "Ubuntu sucks, and DistroX/Windows/Mac beats the heck out of it in server/desktop/latop/notesbooks!!" They assume it's universal, when it's not. Seriously, I think this really is just a help topic, and the OP was clever enough to say he'd move onto another distro. Now the whole community seems to want to help him.

...Just something I noticed.

garythegoth
May 1st, 2009, 04:50 AM
Ubuntu certainly may suck on your laptop(s), but that's no reason to make such sweeping generalizations.

My experience has been quite the opposite. I have several laptops that won't run OpenSUSE, but will run Ubuntu. With the exception of one laptop (currently running Fedora), Ubuntu been the most capable. The most annoying problem I've encountered is that certain kinds of touchpads are not detected by the kernel. I've seen this on 2 of the 45 or so laptops I've installed Ubuntu on, so I'd say that's a pretty good track record. Especially considering about half of those were basically useless after installing Windows, required significant "tweaking" for basic functionality (net and video), and 4 wouldn't run an English version of Windows at all because they required Japanese drivers.

That said, I did have one NEC laptop with an SiS video card that required a significant amount of tweaking to get working but I did not try OpenSUSE.

Edit:
I was actually trying to make a point ...

Saying "Why does openSUSE rape Ubuntu so badly on laptops?" is ridiculous because obviously Ubuntu works for a great many people. Saying something like "Why does openSUSE rape Ubuntu so badly on my $manufacture $model laptop?" would have been far less sensational, far less flammable, and far more accurate.

Fair point. But like I said its the Ubuntu LiveCD(s) that usually screws up the most when trying them on friends/familys laptops.

Flyingjester
May 1st, 2009, 04:51 AM
I agree with most of the posts in this thread... i have a laptop hp pavillion ze4900, and every linux distro (cept foresight) has worked flawlessly.

Messyhair42
May 1st, 2009, 04:51 AM
I had a similar problem wiht my laptop, any disk i tried with ubuntu would stall durring instalation and when i tried OpenSuse 11.1 it worked well. i dont like the distro as much, but maybe it's just that i perfer Gnome to KDE anyday.

pparks1
May 1st, 2009, 04:52 AM
I know not everybody has the same laptop as me but Ubuntu is the least able to run on laptops from my experience. Well, from my experience with my Dell laptops, Ubuntu has installed and run quite well. I've installed to C600's, C610's, D800's, and currently an E6400. Any my experience has only improved from 8.04 to 8.10 and now 9.04. 9.04 was the first time that EVERYTHING worked right out of the box...before any updates (sound, video at 1440x900, network, wireless, cdburner, webcam, suspend).

There is nothing wrong with OpenSuSE...why not just use that rather than trying to rile everybody up? I've got friends who swear by OpenSUSE. Personally, I've never liked the look and feel, but that is just me. It's a solid product.

For servers, I "rarely" use Ubuntu. For me, it's CentOS and RHEL. My reasons are because that is where my experience is, that's what most of my books are based on, that's what my certifications are in, and that is what I have written my documentation around. But my desktops are almost always Ubuntu. So, I don't believe you have to be 100% with 1 distro. It all depends upon your needs.

garythegoth
May 1st, 2009, 04:56 AM
I had a similar problem wiht my laptop, any disk i tried with ubuntu would stall durring instalation and when i tried OpenSuse 11.1 it worked well. i dont like the distro as much, but maybe it's just that i perfer Gnome to KDE anyday.

The openSUSE Im using has gnome. But the layout is kind of annoying compared to Ubuntu. Except for the menu which is quite nice in a Windows kind of way.

dmizer
May 1st, 2009, 05:11 AM
Fair point. But like I said its the Ubuntu LiveCD(s) that usually screws up the most when trying them on friends/familys laptops.
Have you run an integrity test on any of those CDs?

Remember, live CDs require far more resources (RAM and CPU) than an actual install, so even if your computer has sufficient specs to run Ubuntu, it may not run the Ubuntu live CD well (crashing programs, lost desktop, drawing, hanging, etc). If you just want to show off Ubuntu, try a lighter Xubuntu live CD instead as it is less demanding of limited resources. It may be that the OpenSUSE live CD is lighter (I haven't tried it, but I will).

I have two Xubuntu USB keys that work extremely well, and have saved my tail on many occasions. Also good for testing hardware before purchasing it.

Also, any time I've had a problem booting a USB key, it's been one of two BIOS issues:
1) BIOS simply wouldn't recognize the key.
2) I failed to correctly configure BIOS to boot to the key (USB key was under IDE settings :confused:).

garythegoth
May 1st, 2009, 05:20 AM
Have you run an integrity test on any of those CDs?

Remember, live CDs require far more resources (RAM and CPU) than an actual install, so even if your computer has sufficient specs to run Ubuntu, it may not run the Ubuntu live CD well (crashing programs, lost desktop, drawing, hanging, etc). If you just want to show off Ubuntu, try a lighter Xubuntu live CD instead as it is less demanding of limited resources. It may be that the OpenSUSE live CD is lighter (I haven't tried it, but I will).

I have two Xubuntu USB keys that work extremely well, and have saved my tail on many occasions. Also good for testing hardware before purchasing it.

Also, any time I've had a problem booting a USB key, it's been one of two BIOS issues:
1) BIOS simply wouldn't recognize the key.
2) I failed to correctly configure BIOS to boot to the key (USB key was under IDE settings :confused:).
Dude Im not a complete noob. I know how to set a bios up. I dislike XFCE. And the LiveCDs are perfectly ok as they work flawlessly in desktop machines. The version of X.org/X-Server used by Hardy is the reason it wont boot. And the Jaunty Live USB boots but bails with a FATAL modprobe failure for whatever reason. It just seems to me that Uubntu rocks on desktops but sucks on laptops. Anyways you just have to look at the Hardware and Laptops section. About 50% of those threads revolve around laptops so you know........

swoll1980
May 1st, 2009, 05:24 AM
My computer won't boot openSuse, or Mandriva

garythegoth
May 1st, 2009, 05:27 AM
My computer won't boot openSuse, or Mandriva

Mandriva will boot on my laptop but not my desktop. Go figure.

cariboo
May 1st, 2009, 06:40 AM
Nothing seems be getting accomplished in this thread, it just seems to go round and round. This thread is closed.