PDA

View Full Version : Worst Forum Ever?

bitskrieg
May 1st, 2009, 12:59 AM
Yes.
I've actually created a thread that had a single view, which happened to be mine.
Think about that for a moment... No person views the thread at all in the general help section.
The mailing lists are no better.
I just recently switched over to Ubuntu with Jaunty because it was the only rational thing to do; it's way ahead of everyone else now. But what kept me for switching earlier was the horribly weak community.
You get absolutely no help here and what help you do get is basically worthless.
I didn't read the rules so sorry if I'm breaking them with this thread but I couldn't care less about this forum.
Ubuntu is the greatest distribution with the weakest community ever, that's life I guess.
Oh wait, I think I know where the help is, it's that asian dude with the headset waiting to take my call for a price.

doas777
May 1st, 2009, 01:06 AM
um. ok then.

if your not getting views, then look at your subject line. does it concisely sumarize the issue or type of issue you are experiencing?

then look at the body. are you providing detail sufficient to the problem, so the community can help you with it? is your tone polite and are your requirements reasonable? is there any troubleshooting information you've noticed anyone else using for similar types of problems while researching your problem online? if so, attach it.

if you don't get hits within the first day, bump. if you are getting hits but no replys, try reorganizing your post, and wait.

thats the best advice I can give you. I've had many a thread with no good answers (you can check). you can't expect everything to work perfectly for everyone.

best regards,
franklin

kernelhaxor
May 1st, 2009, 02:09 AM
The number of views don't get updated immediately .. they only get updated periodically .. so log back in after a few hours and see if the number of views is still the same ..

garythegoth
May 1st, 2009, 02:13 AM
That really, really isnt fair or true. These forums are by far the best you will find for any O/S let alone a Linux distribution. If you want a phenomenology weak forum experience go take a look at Debians forums.

Youll come back a changed man ;]

Dougie187
May 1st, 2009, 02:17 AM
Also, I think you might try reading the stickys that describe how to get help effectively. Either way, good luck finding a better forum with more active users willing to help most people with their problems.

lisati
May 1st, 2009, 02:18 AM
This is my opinion, but this forum is one of the better ones that I'm involved in.

Don't be discouraged if no-one responds to your posts immediately: sometimes the person who is best able to answer a particular question doesn't get to see the question immediately.

I've even put out the occasional question which has had absolutely NO replies!!!!!

As for the new release, many of us are trying to find our ways around it ourselves, dealing with the occasional muckup that can happen.

Dr.Vista
May 1st, 2009, 02:25 AM
Remember, we are volunteers spending our own time to help people and are not obliged to help you.

garythegoth
May 1st, 2009, 02:28 AM
Remember, we are volunteers spending our own time to help people and are not obliged to help you.

Actually as a "community" we should be obliged to help as much as we can. And to be honest your attitude is disappointing to say the least.

Ericyzfr1
May 1st, 2009, 02:37 AM
You can always bump....

BGFG
May 1st, 2009, 05:01 AM
Actually as a "community" we should be obliged to help as much as we can. And to be honest your attitude is disappointing to say the least.

i don't think you should encourage the Op's behavior though. i have had a few threads fade away into nothingness and never thought ' these forums suck'
It's all about the time of day, the subject of the post, the mood of the person reading it....

Dr. Vista is right to an extent, but I am willing to assume that that is not his/her prevailing attitude nor the one of the forums in general. I for one am honestly not inclined to deal with petulant users...

Sef
May 1st, 2009, 05:29 AM
Locked for trolling.