PDA

View Full Version : My Suggestions for Ubuntu Netbook Remix w/ pics

joeydawson
May 1st, 2009, 12:58 AM
Hi there, i wanted to discuss with someone where i think UNR has gone wrong (especially with the right hand menu) and didn't know where else to past my complaints.
The news of it's release had me quite hyped, so I downloaded it and after checking a few screenshots i installed the OS on my little sisters machine. aesthetically pleasing.

If i where to redesign UNR to make it's User Interface more well, useable, I would make the following changes:

1. I would not change the left hand side of the screen or the way the application sub categories open to the centre of the screen, I would however have all the applications customised to open into the centre panel. This way you could have several programs open stacked one upon the other within the centre panel.

2. A simple 'full screen' tab would give the user the ability to view any of these apps in full screen mode with the program remaining docked within the centre panel.

3. Along the bottom of the screen a vertically expanding dashboard would show the programs that are running rather than the usual dashboards that show a list of installed programs to run.

4. Rather than opening a gnome window (when i click on either of the music, pictures, video or docs tabs)
the files are displayed in the centre panel
- with a player function for music and video
- with a slideshow feature for photos

5. Gnome is a standalone app which gives the user the ability to edit files and folders but the vast majority of the user experience will exist without the need for using gnome.

I'll go and fix up a few screenshots of these proposed changes and see what people think, until then, feel free to respond and add to this topic

Mazza558
May 1st, 2009, 01:00 AM
What's in the "random ****e" folder? :)

joeydawson
May 1st, 2009, 01:01 AM
it may be worth saving all the images then viewing as a slideshow in fullscreen to get the gist of what i'm suggesting

joeydawson
May 1st, 2009, 01:05 AM
random s**** of course :)

p.s. sorry for some of the shoddy graphic work

zeborgman
May 11th, 2009, 04:55 AM
The idea that I find most useful, particularly in the case of a Netbook (though I might even use on a non-netbook), is the vertically expanding app bar. To me, it looks a lot like the Mac app bar at the bottom of the screen. This is a nice feature that I think could be implemented into the UNR very easily.

Fingers & Thumbs
May 11th, 2009, 06:11 AM
I'm very happy with remix, although I have tweaked a little and added some packages, but regarding the UI, I have to agree that I expected the right hand menu to respond in the same way as the left menu, and would like to see that implemented.

Warpnow
May 11th, 2009, 06:58 AM
Why would applications only open in the middle?

You already have a small screen...why deplete it further?

I think I'd prefer all applications to by default full screen myself.

joeydawson
May 28th, 2009, 01:02 PM
Why would applications only open in the middle?

You already have a small screen...why deplete it further?

I think I'd prefer all applications to by default full screen myself.

each app would include a button to toggle between mid screen and full screen as i have included in the pictures
obvious to revert from full screen mode you would simply press esc.

therabidbadger
May 28th, 2009, 05:45 PM
I think 1-3 are retarded. However, 4 and 5 are genius and should definitely be implemented on the next release.

Anybody know of some good themes for UNR? I hate the way it currently looks.

Oreo
May 31st, 2009, 01:42 PM
I have not found the way to include a desktop switcher to Netbook Remix. Is there a way to do this currently?

I have switched to the default desktop mode, but now all applications start maximized. I have several multiple-widow applications where I work with carefully arranged windows. Now all those windows get maximized at start-up, so I have to un-maximize them before I can work.

I will start another thread to see what the fixes are for these things.