PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Disk Partitions

budoor
May 1st, 2009, 12:34 AM
Dear all ,

I am using vmware in order to install ubnutu, but during the installation there is a part about setting up the partitions, I chose "Use Entire Disk", but I still need to know how this choice is deviding the partitions????

What are the partitions created?
What is the size of each partition?
How can I modify the partitions?

zvacet
May 1st, 2009, 12:43 AM
I believe you will have root / and swap partitions that way.Most of the space will be occupied by root partition and smaller part will be swap( that is virtual memory).You donīt have to modify partitions i you are just want to see how Ubuntu work.If you want you can use manual way to install and have separate home partition.That way your files/data and settings will be safe.

budoor
May 2nd, 2009, 12:09 AM
Can you tell me how I can create a /home partition ..

Plus .. How can I know the size of each partition /home, root and swap

zvacet
May 2nd, 2009, 01:59 AM
I will not use more then 10 GB for root and 1 GB (even less) for swap.Rest of your free space dedicate to home.I find here (http://mywebsite.bigpond.net.au/dfelderh/p23.html) example how to install manual way.It is for dual boot but when it comes to partitioning it is same as you install Ubuntu only.

budoor
May 2nd, 2009, 02:43 AM
Thank you for the link, but I couldn't understand because I am a beginner :( .. I know that we could use gparted in order to edit the partitions, but I don't know what are the default partitions I am going to get and what are the needed partitions? + the reason of having different sizes for each of the root, swap and home partitions.

Please help

zvacet
May 2nd, 2009, 02:24 PM
If you use option "Use Entire Disk" Ubuntu will do partitioning for you.That is easiest way to install.When you become more familiar with Ubuntu then you will maybe want to try other options.For begging use entire disc and enjoy Ubuntu.