PDA

View Full Version : ubuntu vs chrome [rant]

holyskeleton
April 30th, 2009, 11:13 PM
I guess you can't have too much of a good thing. On one hand you have all-free super light super secure OS, on the other hand you have all-free super fast super secure browser, but you can't enjoy both.

I understand why so many people like Firefox but somehow it's just too slow for me, and from experience it still crashes more often than chrome. Sure you can have Opera but that crashes left and right too with negligible performance gain, it's also got the least viewing space.

Without the driver for my G5 mouse it makes everything even slower. the names of the system folders made me second guess myself every time. What's man folder for anyway? Where's the woman folder?

So ya, it sounds crazy, but I'm thinking of switching back... to the OS chrome supports.

Namtabmai
April 30th, 2009, 11:15 PM
Have you tried Chromium?

Skripka
April 30th, 2009, 11:22 PM
Sure you can have Opera but that crashes left and right too with negligible performance gain, it's also got the least viewing space.

I honestly don't know what you are talking about. I've never had an Opera crash on Linux. You can also customize the interface if you bother to learn.

ghindo
April 30th, 2009, 11:25 PM
Chromium and Chrome will one day work on Linux, just be patient ;)

happysmileman
April 30th, 2009, 11:26 PM
I guess you can't have too much of a good thing. On one hand you have all-free super light super secure OS, on the other hand you have all-free super fast super secure browser, but you can't enjoy both.
So ya, it sounds crazy, but I'm thinking of switching back... to the OS chrome supports.

I assume you aren't aware there are builds available for Linux?
Look for "Chromium", and yes, it's the same code, not just a similar project with a similar name.

Namtabmai
April 30th, 2009, 11:27 PM
Chromium already works on Linux, Chrome will probably never be available on Linux.

Granted Chromium is behind Chrome, but it's only a matter of time.

Saint Angeles
April 30th, 2009, 11:28 PM
whats so good about chrome? i mean... how could a new trendy browser be worth abandoning the greatest OS ever?

plus, you can't beat all the free extensions available for firefox. adblock plus, stylish, serverspy, CHM reader, searchload options, and user agent switcher offer me functionality that i couldn't imagine being without.

if these add-ons were available for other browsers, i would instntly switch over to epiphany this instant! epiphany is pretty quick and GTK'ed (so it looks good).

zeex
April 30th, 2009, 11:29 PM

I understand why so many people like Firefox but somehow it's just too slow for me, and from experience it still crashes more often than chrome. Sure you can have Opera but that crashes left and right too with negligible performance gain, it's also got the least viewing space.

Without the driver for my G5 mouse it makes everything even slower. the names of the system folders made me second guess myself every time. What's man folder for anyway? Where's the woman folder?

Hi,

Try the GNOME web browser Epiphany. It's awesome. A version of it uses Firefox engine and another uses Safari engine. Safari version is little buggy but Firefox version works like charm. No extra CPU usage, smooth browsing experience. I've used all of 'em Firefox, chrome, opera but Epiphany is the one for me from now on :)

try it

smudi
April 30th, 2009, 11:32 PM
Chromium already works on Linux, Chrome will probably never be available on Linux.

http://www.google.com/chrome/intl/en/linux.html

Namtabmai
April 30th, 2009, 11:34 PM
Chrome will probably never be available on Linux.

Awesome, post that link again when they actually have something to download.

arashiko28
April 30th, 2009, 11:40 PM
That's a cheap excuse for saying you're going back...
Besides, according to my friends servers builders and that kind of IT geeks, chrome it's not the safest browser for a "single man". They all rather Epiphany.

I use firefox, opera and epiphany and for the exceptions of the alpha or beta versions of firefox, none has crashed.

Giant Speck
May 1st, 2009, 12:04 AM
Awesome, post that link again when they actually have something to download.

Who do you think is behind the whole Chromium project? The same people who will brand it when it's finished.

Skripka
May 1st, 2009, 12:06 AM

Didn't they say the same thing about HURD 20 years ago?

Sashin
May 1st, 2009, 12:06 AM
Yup, when Google has worked on the Chromium browser to the extent that they are happy with it they will add the chrome logo and it'll become chrome.

It should be this year too.

ghindo
May 1st, 2009, 12:20 AM
Didn't they say the same thing about HURD 20 years ago?There are already some pre-alpha builds of Chromium that work, at least on a very basic level. I'm not sure the same can be said about HURD. (But that's a discussion for another thread entirely.)

Google has said that they will port Chrome to Linux; what reason is there not to believe them? And even if Google itself doesn't port it, it's open source, meaning that anyone can.

SunnyRabbiera
May 1st, 2009, 01:18 AM

Sigh, look windows and linux are two different OS's that work different ways.
And as for chrome it has little to do with your linux issues.

days_of_ruin
May 1st, 2009, 03:11 AM

Troll much?
The man folder stores manual pages for programs.
You can read the with the man command.
But if you think "C:\\Documents and Settings" is an acceptable name for a system directory go ahead and leave.

garythegoth
May 1st, 2009, 03:14 AM
Google have already confirmed that Chrome will be released for Linux.

Saint Angeles
May 1st, 2009, 03:55 AM
...But if you think "C:\\Documents and Settings" is an acceptable name for a system directory go ahead and leave.
thank you!! i've always found it excruciatingly painful when theres spaces in the damn directory name!

Rainstride
May 1st, 2009, 04:15 AM

the test version of firefox(minefield) is faster than chrome. also you can hit F11 and it will full screen firefox to max the viewable area, f11 to go back to normal. personally I think chrome sucks, it doesn't have ad block or no script, so yeah... try installing 3.5 from the repo's maybe it will fix your speed problems:).

gymophett
May 1st, 2009, 04:26 AM
http://www.codeweavers.com/services/ports/chromium/

Download Chromium.
Google says they are working on a Linux version of Chrome.
Who would wanna switch an OS over not having Chrome?

garythegoth
May 1st, 2009, 04:30 AM
You can also get the native Chromium alpha from here if your so desperate for it......

http://www.detector-pro.com/2009/03/how-to-easy-install-google-chromium.html

Skripka
May 1st, 2009, 05:10 AM
Who would wanna switch an OS over not having Chrome?

Especially over a feature-lacking browser. Yes Chrome on Windows is fast...but that is about it.

Firestem4
May 1st, 2009, 05:57 AM
Wait for firefox 3.5 to be released. It is as fast, if not faster than Chrome. I am incredibly impressed. i am using it right now.

garythegoth
May 1st, 2009, 05:59 AM
Wait for firefox 3.5 to be released. It is as fast, if not faster than Chrome. I am incredibly impressed. i am using it right now.

Where did you get it from? I downloaded the Vanilla from Mozilla and its only slightly faster than 3.0.10.

Firestem4
May 1st, 2009, 06:12 AM
It should be in the testing repository as 3.10RC4 (Beta3). I have it on Windows atm. But I know its in the repositories.

Rainstride
May 1st, 2009, 06:44 AM
Where did you get it from? I downloaded the Vanilla from Mozilla and its only slightly faster than 3.0.10.

open synaptic and type firefox in the quick search, you should see 3.0.10 and 3.5 and one other if i remember right. then install.:)

also, are you one 9.04?

Orlsend
May 1st, 2009, 07:32 AM
When Chrome or Chromium gets a Stable and customisable as Firefox I may switch. In my guess it will take about five years.

ahop
May 2nd, 2009, 02:07 AM

:whistle whistle whistle:

:twiddling thumbs:

Rokurosv
May 2nd, 2009, 02:14 AM
I actually like Chrome, it's my main browser. I personally wouldn't switch OS just to use it but I think it's a good browser.

DeltaPHC
May 2nd, 2009, 02:21 AM
Daily builds of Chromium for Linux:
https://launchpad.net/~chromium-daily/+archive/ppa

Its current status:
- It runs!
- The most basic features seem to be working; tabbed browsing, the multi-process architecture, drag-and-drop tab reordering, 'empty' tab page, URL bar features
- That said, it's still very much pre-alpha. Other than the main browser window and maybe an about box, there's not much else to look at yet. You may also run into crashing bugs.

In short, it's nowhere near ready, but it's getting there.

matthew.ball
May 2nd, 2009, 03:37 AM
I actually really enjoy getting the daily builds of chromium, you can literally see the browser evolving, it's awesome.

I used chrome briefly late last year before switching entirely to Linux, I *sort of* know what to expect, so just watching the daily build :)

wersdaluv
May 2nd, 2009, 05:54 AM

Have you tried Firefox 3.5 beta?

Pasdar
May 2nd, 2009, 09:33 AM
I don't like chrome at all and will not be using it.

Ichtyandr
May 2nd, 2009, 10:05 AM
the test version of firefox(minefield) is faster than chrome. also you can hit F11 and it will full screen firefox to max the viewable area, f11 to go back to normal. personally I think chrome sucks, it doesn't have ad block or no script, so yeah... try installing 3.5 from the repo's maybe it will fix your speed problems:).

minefield is really fastest I used, including Chrome. I used it back in Vista also because it was 64bit (if it relevant of course) and it was way faster and "in control" than IE. and the Chrome is allegedly terrible with privacy and data collection, I read that it sends the company every url location you type in. So if you are after fast browsing minefield is an option

t0p
May 2nd, 2009, 10:33 AM

Bye then.

t0p
May 2nd, 2009, 10:47 AM
Chrome is allegedly terrible with privacy and data collection, I read that it sends the company every url location you type in.

Well, that's how they make a living - by selling information about you. I use their search engine a lot, but I've got the CustomizeGoogle plugin for my browser with the privacy settings on full. I've also got a gmail account, but that's used mostly for my mailing lists. I don't think I'd use their services if I wasn't anonymized first.

Old Marcus
May 2nd, 2009, 11:26 AM
If you're the kind of person who will deny an OS without trying it properly first, then we wouldn't want you anyway. I'll call a taxi for you.

Xbehave
May 2nd, 2009, 11:42 AM
If your going to leave linux to use chrome on windows instead of help with chromium, then your clearly no loss to the community, so don't let the door hit your ***.

Seriously while more developers (and to a lesser extend people that file bugs and generally help out) would be great, OS shouldn't be a popularity contest, I honestly couldn't care less if there was 1 non contributing user or 1 billion!

vexorian
May 2nd, 2009, 12:57 PM
chrome is just a waste of time.

If you ask me, firefox 3.1 works just fine, I am yet to see it crash and performance is a non-issue.

As for 9.04 epiphany is also a nice choice, it got an 'awesome bar' it uses webkit and is correctly integrated to the OS.

There's really no point in wanting other proprietary, windows-only browsers when we have these choices.

I dislike chrome and opera for being so egocentric they feel an urge not to follow the host OS' look settings. Firefox got some small issues with the menu bar as well, this all blows.