PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] live cd worked but installation of 9.04 fails?

ifbaptist
April 30th, 2009, 10:42 PM
I have an Asus X83vb-X2 laptop with Vista 64 bit installed. The live CD worked fine on this laptop so I decided to install 9.04 to the whole hard drive.

The install starts just fine. I select use entire disk and the progress bar comes up with creating partitions.

Immediately after that a large list of I/O errors comes up and it drops me to a command line. It looks like it created desktop folders (Documents, Desktop, etc.) but startx doesn't work and I sudo shutdown to get it turned off.

It has an GeForce 9300M GS card with 512mb but I don't know if that's the problem or if it's the dvd drive or ??

From when the partitioning "finishes" to when the system stops installing is only a couple of seconds. There's no way the whole OS got installed.

Is there some sort of boot parameter I need to enter? Safe Graphics mode did the same thing.

Any help would be appreciated.

ifbaptist
May 3rd, 2009, 10:17 AM
Fixed. I just installed the ISO to a thumb drive and installed from there. Went great. I think there are some issues with this laptop dvd drive being compatible with Ubuntu though. It has locked me out of a couple of data discs that worked fine on my Ubuntu desktop. Said I didn't have permission... something, something. I'll look into it later.