PDA

View Full Version : Go-oo and OpenOffice

joey-elijah
April 30th, 2009, 10:34 PM
Forgive the naivety on my part, but i've never taken an overly interested look at the world of OpenOffice and it's derivatives past finding a version for PPC OS X.

However in the 'Oracle May Spin Off OpenOffice Into A Foundation' thread i heard mention of 'go-oo': a Novell version of OpenOffice that includes patches either refused by Sun or implimented sooner than they take to float upstream to OpenOffice proper.

Ubuntu uses a combination of both, right? But are they are reasons for installing original go-oo on Ubuntu? Does anyone currently do this?

I'm interested :)

mister_pink
April 30th, 2009, 11:35 PM
I think the one we use is go-oo. Or at least if you go to their website they tell you to just install the package "openoffice.org". I think this is why ubuntu had docx support earlier than the official one.

calc
May 6th, 2009, 04:00 PM
Yes, the Ubuntu version is OpenOffice.org with the Go-OO.org ooo-build patches. The only difference between the version at the go-oo.org website and what is in Ubuntu is that the Ubuntu version has Ubuntu specific changes like launchpad integration and a few other minor things.