PDA

View Full Version : [wubi] Getting an error msg trying to run wubi

bjohnson33
April 30th, 2009, 07:33 PM
Hello everyone,

Please be gentle - this is my first post. My use of Linux amounts to about a half hour in total!

My parents have a computer that is approximately 7 years old, with a 1.2GHz processor and 248MB of RAM. They have a "questionable" copy of WinXP Pro currently running on it. There is plenty of hard drive space. It has AVG running as its antivirus. I would love to install Kubuntu on their system and would really like to do this using Wubi.

Here's the problem - after downloading Wubi and trying to run it, an error message pops up saying "this application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect". I cannot figure out how to get around this. I have redownloaded it several times, and tried rebooting the computer. A few times when I tried to run the .exe file, a window appeared saying that the file needed to be associated with another program to run.

To make things just a little more complicated, I'm trying to do this over LogMeIn, since I'm in another country for the time being. Their computer is running pretty badly with Windows and I would love to set them up with this. Can anybody help?

Many thanks,

Brian

skimo12
May 10th, 2009, 08:20 AM
Hello everyone,

I got the same error that Brian reported. I have recently installed Windows XP on my laptop - an old one with 256MB RAM and 16GB hard drive. I don't get the problem with my desktop, which is up to date with Windows Updates - Service Pack 3 etc
Brian, I think that there might be a number of updates missing from your parents' computer. Please see if they have SP3 installed.
Unfortunately, because the battery on my laptop is pretty dead (needs power cable connected permanently), I can't install SP2 since Windows thinks I'm always running on batteries.
If anyone else has any ideas, please let us know.

Cheers,
skimo12

skimo12
May 10th, 2009, 08:26 AM
Brian,

I think I found a workaround. Try to install Wubi 8.10 instead of 9.04. It seems that there's a new dependency added.
I just now downloaded 8.10 and it brings up 'ubuntu setup' (after complaining that I had 255MB of RAM instead of 256).
Go to the bottom of this page and click 'wubi.exe'

http://releases.ubuntu.com/8.10/

Let me know how you get on.
Skimo12

suttertm
November 17th, 2011, 02:07 AM
Using a (2004) pentium M 1.5GHz, 256 MB, Windows XP (SP 1). Wubi 8.10 installer downloaded through Firefox 7.0.1. Up and running, Thanks

Rubi1200
November 17th, 2011, 04:40 AM
Hi and welcome to the forums suttertm :)

Glad you got things up and running. If you require assistance with anything please start your own thread.

Thread closed.

Reason: necromancy