PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu_studio] if I upgrade from ubuntu studio 8.04 to 9.04 can I still access the 8.04 system?

_nate
April 30th, 2009, 07:09 PM
I would like to update ubuntu to the latest release but was wondering if I could still access the old 8.04 system with the real time kernel. Would I be better off creating a separate partiton?

thanks nate

zvacet
May 1st, 2009, 12:58 AM
If you upgrade you will do that on top of existing partition and then there will not be Hardy anymore.Second(or should I say it first),you can not upgrade in way to skip versions.If you want to upgrade from Hardy to Jaunty you will go like this: 8.04>8.10>9.04.If you want to have both versions install Jaunty on new partition.Third option is to do fresh install of Jaunty on top of Hardy partition.If you decide to do that back up your files/data or make separate home partition if donīt have it already.To create separate home you can follow this (http://www.ivankuznetsov.com/2008/04/moving-home-to-its-own-partition.html) guide.

ov3rcl0ck
May 1st, 2009, 01:00 AM
You can still use the kernel, but all the software such as Gnome, firefox, and all will be updated.