PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installing 9.04

GreenBowlPacker_3
April 30th, 2009, 07:03 PM
I've downloaded Ubuntu 9.04 and made the start up cd. When I boot my computer from the cd I can get as far as the menu that asks if I want to try, install, etc... But no matter what I pick I get a long list of I/O errors that doesn't end. I'm using a Dell Inspiron 1501 laptop with dual boot Windows XP and Ubuntu 8.04. I even tried uninstalling the 8.04 version and formated the HD I wanted to put 9.04 on and it still didn't work. Any ideas?

kestrel1
April 30th, 2009, 07:07 PM
I would suggest that you re-burn your CD. It sounds like it could be corrupt. Try burning at a lower speed.

GreenBowlPacker_3
April 30th, 2009, 07:54 PM
That worked, thanks!

kestrel1
April 30th, 2009, 07:58 PM
Great stuff. Glad to be of help.

giosimar
July 4th, 2009, 03:50 PM
O__o
I have your same problem, but starting from a 7.10 the cd works.

Hoe did you solve? just recording another disk?

did you give the option pci=nomsi at beginning?

kestrel1
July 4th, 2009, 06:05 PM
O__o
I have your same problem, but starting from a 7.10 the cd works.

Hoe did you solve? just recording another disk?

did you give the option pci=nomsi at beginning?
Have you tried burning the iso to a CD at a lower speed. Use the lowest speed possible.

giosimar
July 4th, 2009, 09:39 PM
actually I tried before with a 9.04, after with 8.04 and at the end with a 7.10 on the same rewritable cd...

the last worked.

the problem is that a beginning every version works, and open the menu dialog.
but when i choose to start live cd, the 9.04/8.04 is unable to start (and there aren't I/O errors), whereas 7.10 starts.

this happens if i give at beginning the option pci=nomsi
without this initial option also 7.10 fails, giving the same error.

earthpigg
July 4th, 2009, 09:46 PM
i can personally attest that burning at the slowest speed possible increases the chances of a good burn by quite a bit.

alternatively, you can make a usb startup disk and bypass the possibility of your cd burner being damaged:

system -> administration -> USB startup disk creator

("My cd burner works fine! i burn music on it all the time!" ... if a single 1 or 0 is on the wrong place in a music cd, you wont notice... an operating system, different story :) )

Ra-Hoor-Khuit
July 4th, 2009, 09:59 PM
... 9.04, after with 8.04 and at the end with a 7.10 on the same rewritable cd...
Ditch the CD-RW for a standard CD-R. Rewritables are no good for this sort of operation.

Use a name-brand CD-R and burn it slow, no faster than 8x.

giosimar
July 4th, 2009, 10:16 PM
yeah, I know :)
but, I check the written files every time, and I didn't notice any I/O error during installation (and, moreover, if you have problems with rw cd, usually you have them at the end, not at beginning!).
and the error I noticed with 9.04 and 8.04 is the same I noticed with 7.10 when I don't put the option pci=nomsi.

kestrel1
July 5th, 2009, 01:15 PM
yeah, I know :)
but, I check the written files every time, and I didn't notice any I/O error during installation (and, moreover, if you have problems with rw cd, usually you have them at the end, not at beginning!).
and the error I noticed with 9.04 and 8.04 is the same I noticed with 7.10 when I don't put the option pci=nomsi.
It is possibly to do with your hardware & not the CD.