PDA

View Full Version : non *buntu users

SuperSonic4
April 30th, 2009, 06:44 PM
For all users who don't use ubuntu (or a variant such as kubuntu) as your main OS which is your main OS?

I remember seeing a thread about the prevalence of Arch users here but I was wondering if that's true.

Wes7
April 30th, 2009, 06:54 PM
If there was no Ubuntu, I would use Fedora.

NightwishFan
April 30th, 2009, 07:00 PM
I tend to use OpenSUSE often. I would be using it now, if 11.1 was not completely incompatible with my system... Once the KDE3/KDE4 clears up, there should be more packages available on the dvd for me, and perhaps their energy can be spent more on bug fixing for GNOME. 11.2 I await thee, until then, Jauntee.... ahem Jaunty.

I just got off a stint of Fedora as well, I like it, but it's GUI tools actually complicate the system rather than simplify it. The 11 preview seems nice, although I like the Solar art better.

I wish Ubuntu would put as much stock into their themes. (I am one of those rare people who like the human theme, however I dislike having to customize the grub and boot splash to spice them up.)

conundrumx
April 30th, 2009, 07:00 PM
If I had to say a particular OS was my "main"one it would be OSX.

Twitch6000
April 30th, 2009, 07:04 PM
Right now i am on the latest version of Mint testing it and such.

However i am thinking about going to Mandriva again <.<.

SuperSonic4
April 30th, 2009, 07:06 PM
Right now i am on the latest version of Mint testing it and such.

However i am thinking about going to Mandriva again <.<.

Well Mandriva 2009 Spring was released just today :p

It looks rather snazzy

Flyingjester
April 30th, 2009, 07:07 PM
If there was no Ubuntu, I would use Fedora.

+1, First linux OS i installed, and sulphur was pretty good.

jeffathehutt
April 30th, 2009, 07:14 PM
I have been using arch for about a year now, and I plan to continue using it at least in the near future. :)

I still recommend Ubuntu for beginners though.

HermanAB
April 30th, 2009, 07:32 PM
I use Mandriva for work and Ubuntu for fun. The reason is the Mandriva wizards, which are a real time saver == $$$. I have only one machine running Ubuntu.

Twitch6000
April 30th, 2009, 07:43 PM
I use Mandriva for work and Ubuntu for fun. The reason is the Mandriva wizards, which are a real time saver == $$$. I have only one machine running Ubuntu.

+1 to that... it helped me set up my wireless in less then a minute..

kk0sse54
April 30th, 2009, 08:44 PM
FreeBSD, NetBSD, and Gentoo

liamnixon
April 30th, 2009, 09:47 PM
Slackware, baby! Or as I like to refer to it, "God's favorite operating system." (just kidding) I was using Fedora for a while, but I took the plunge into Slack and now every time I try another OS, I find myself complaining and wishing I were using SW.

I am, however, quite interested in trying Mandriva 2009. I used it for a while and liked it quite a bit. There's something about RPM distros that I just seem to like better than Debian based ones.

Dark Aspect
April 30th, 2009, 10:39 PM
I spend so much time away from my Desktop (Ubuntu) that my main OS is Puppy Linux on a 4 GB flash drive. Its actually dual boot between Puppy and windows XP and I still have almost a GB left over.

richg
May 1st, 2009, 01:10 AM
I use an upgraded version of Ubuntu 8.10 called Mint 6.

Rich

.Maleficus.
May 1st, 2009, 01:22 AM
Arch. I need to give FreeBSD a little more time though, I can see it being a really nice OS with a little effort.

kerry_s
May 1st, 2009, 02:10 AM
i use both debian & arch, i only want to use a true rolling release os, install once and just update, no more installs every "#" months to keep up with the latest release.

jimi_hendrix
May 1st, 2009, 02:27 AM
right now, windows, until i find a distro that gives me half decent ati support...if that is possible

yoasif
May 1st, 2009, 02:37 AM
right now, windows, until i find a distro that gives me half decent ati support...if that is possibleIntrepid not working for you?

init1
May 1st, 2009, 02:40 AM
+1, First linux OS i installed, and sulphur was pretty good.
Same here. My first was Fedora Core 1.

SomeGuyDude
May 1st, 2009, 05:36 AM
Archer.

I think this place has a wayyyyy disproportionate number. Probably because the Cafe is a great non-specific Linux forum and Arch's are pretty much all "get help here" types.

sertse
May 1st, 2009, 05:53 AM
sidux.

Complements Ubuntu in my opinion; periodic release from freezing sid vs rolling release using sid, both which somewhat cater for the end user.