PDA

View Full Version : How my system fares here??

heatblazer
April 30th, 2009, 06:08 PM
Here is an attachement (a shot) from my system monitor. I am using 4 desktops, one for Thunderbird, one for FF3, one for chats, msgrs, etc and one for others (file copying right now) I have mounted 4 HDDs, and here is the CPU graph. Share what do you think.

P.S. As I expect most of you to be familliar with buntu`s look so I won`t explain which icon what means. I just need some comments about that shot :)

jdrodrig
November 4th, 2009, 04:40 PM
To be honest, not sure which type of comments you were expecting....what I like the most was the 15 celcius! for me the perfect temperature!

HappyFeet
November 4th, 2009, 05:11 PM
To be honest, not sure which type of comments you were expecting....what I like the most was the 15 celcius! for me the perfect temperature!

I agree. Looks like a standard ubuntu desktop to me. Is there something unusual that I missed?

heatblazer
November 4th, 2009, 08:11 PM
I agree. Looks like a standard ubuntu desktop to me. Is there something unusual that I missed?

I forgot to mention the running apps. I was copying files form HDD 1 to HDD 2, running im clients, FF3, and Thunderbird, but forgot to list:
ps -ely
sorry. I was showing the load of E8400 at multitasking. Average performance but I guess quads will be better :)

jdrodrig
November 5th, 2009, 05:31 AM
I forgot to mention the running apps. I was copying files form HDD 1 to HDD 2, running im clients, FF3, and Thunderbird, but forgot to list:
ps -ely
sorry. I was showing the load of E8400 at multitasking. Average performance but I guess quads will be better :)

The advances in CPUs is one of the things that keeps interested in searching for kernels that fully exploit them.....so far, I have a couple of months using a Corei7 that ubuntu recognizes as 8 cpus and it is clearly amazing! btw, Good luck to Intel with this recent lawsuit!

HappyFeet
November 5th, 2009, 05:52 AM
ps -ely

Well, here's my quad@2.8ghz. See attachment for screenshot of my system monitor. Keep in mind that I am converting a DVD, seeding 4 torrents, have dual screens, recording TV, and 4 tabs open in opera.

heatblazer
November 5th, 2009, 06:04 AM
The advances in CPUs is one of the things that keeps interested in searching for kernels that fully exploit them.....so far, I have a couple of months using a Corei7 that ubuntu recognizes as 8 cpus and it is clearly amazing! btw, Good luck to Intel with this recent lawsuit!

Yes. That`s because of i7`s Hyper Threading I guess. Good I am happy that ubuntu benefits from multiple cores!

running_rabbit07
November 5th, 2009, 08:26 AM

If you don't mind, I'd love to see a screenshot with all of those CPUs. That is awesome. I will have to google to see what they are getting sued for this time.

jdrodrig
November 5th, 2009, 09:15 PM
If you don't mind, I'd love to see a screenshot with all of those CPUs. That is awesome. I will have to google to see what they are getting sued for this time.

Sure. let me get home tonight and I will post the screenshot.

jdrodrig
November 5th, 2009, 09:26 PM
Well, I am cheating a bit...I am logged-in in the opensolaris partition, but it is the same gnome...

Hopefully I added the image correctly..(my first time)

heatblazer
November 5th, 2009, 09:28 PM
Well, I am cheating a bit...I am logged-in in the opensolaris partition, but it is the same gnome...

Nice one :")

running_rabbit07
November 5th, 2009, 11:45 PM

That is cool. I don't mind what people use, everyone uses what makes them happy. I like trying out different OSes.

heatblazer
November 6th, 2009, 05:08 AM
Thanks to everybody that revived that old thread of mine. I am interested in something - BOGOMIPS. As I fugured BOGOMIPS are calculated with thre freq of core x nuber of cores. Kind of if you have a dual core with 2GHz, the BOGOMIPS will be 4000 BOGOMIPS. Can you show me i7`s bogomips :) I am jsut curious.

3rdalbum
November 6th, 2009, 01:13 PM

What on earth are you doing that uses no CPU power, but consumes 5.5GiB of RAM?

Still, impressive screenshot.

The first screenshot in the thread seems to be using too much CPU power for what is being done in the background. All of the programs being used should be near-idle.

I must say, my favourite thing is to rip a DVD and look at both CPU indicators sticking to 100% - it's like "Yep, I'm pushing my computer to its absolute limits!".

3rdalbum
November 6th, 2009, 01:17 PM
Thanks to everybody that revived that old thread of mine. I am interested in something - BOGOMIPS. As I fugured BOGOMIPS are calculated with thre freq of core x nuber of cores. Kind of if you have a dual core with 2GHz, the BOGOMIPS will be 4000 BOGOMIPS. Can you show me i7`s bogomips :) I am jsut curious.

MIPS is "Million Instructions Per Second". It's not calculated with CPU frequency, at least not from what I've heard. The "Bogo" bit means "bogus" - which is a reference to how inaccurate the Bogomips measurement actually is.

-grubby
November 6th, 2009, 01:19 PM
What on earth are you doing that uses no CPU power, but consumes 5.5GiB of RAM?

Cache?

heatblazer
November 6th, 2009, 03:39 PM
MIPS is "Million Instructions Per Second". It's not calculated with CPU frequency, at least not from what I've heard. The "Bogo" bit means "bogus" - which is a reference to how inaccurate the Bogomips measurement actually is.

Interesting... I`ll look more into that. Thanks.

3rdalbum
November 6th, 2009, 03:58 PM
Cache?

My Gnome System Monitor doesn't count the cache, only the active use. Unless he's running an old version that maybe does count cache?

underquark
November 6th, 2009, 09:44 PM
No screenshot necessary. Just decode a DVD using DVDShrink running under Wine and watch four processors go like the clappers. Add in a session or two of Virtualbox if you want to feel that you're using all your memory.

heatblazer
November 7th, 2009, 01:34 AM
Not bad ideas. One good test is Wine > mame32 > tekken tag tournament. When in-game press F11. Then hold INSERT to see what % you`ll get.