PDA

View Full Version : Seek advise to replace D top speakers

Wanda
April 30th, 2009, 04:54 PM
My present speakers Boston Acoustic BA735 which came packaged on a gateway desk top in the last millennium, have been funky for years, much prior to switching to a Dell Power Edge 500SC. This recycled (loud fan) work horse was use in a series for a server and has only run Linux.

I really need to replace the BA 735 ( http://preview.tinyurl.com/csf2b3 )as the sound over the past few days has just become unacceptable. (The hissing radiator season is over :oops:...) I plan to replace the computer too, but this is more of an immediate problem. I will probably buy used speakers on E bay or Amazon, but have no clue as to what to purchase.

Can anyone recommend some relatively good quality speakers for cheap under $40 that would work well with Ubuntu 8.10. and hopefully adapt to a better computer that I plan on getting by the end of the year? I am trying to plan ahead for the next LT Ubuntu version to arrive but for now I am relatively pleased w/ 8.10. I'll add that I watch a lot of streamed films and listen to many radio stations around the world on a daily basis, so this is important to me.

Any suggestions would be a great help.
TIA,
Wanda

sydbat
April 30th, 2009, 05:04 PM
Spend a little extra and get a quality speaker set up. The Logitech X230 (http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/speakers_audio/home_pc_speakers/devices/208&cl=roeu,en) 2.1 speakers I have used for about 4 years were definitely worth the extra cost.

Not sure if they are still available though...surely something similar is.

Saint Angeles
April 30th, 2009, 05:58 PM
i found a cheap 5.1 surround sound system with dvd player at walmart for about $60. its designed for use with a home entertainment center (dual RCA connection), but i connect it through my m-audio USB fasttrack audio interface.

i love 5.1. I think that you should decide what your budget is and TRY to find a surround sound system for that. using a USB interface like I do or an audio card with RCA connections will really expand your selection...

no matter what you decide to get... make sure you get speakers with some sort of subwoofer (2.1 at least). you will probably find the best deal at either a pawn shop, or an independant music store (i used to run one of these for two years and i turned over my fair share of decent used speakers).

just my $0.02

MikeTheC
April 30th, 2009, 06:08 PM
I don't know if they're still available, but for a while Harmon Kardon was making desktop computer speakers that were bundled with Dell computer systems. Apparently, as businesses and/or individuals would return these computers (exchanges, end of lease, etc.) these speakers were getting collected and recycled. I bought a couple pairs for computers I had at the time, my mom bought a pair for her laptop, and several friends bought them (at my recommendation) for their various computers. These "refurbished" speaker pairs were being sold for $20, and I can't begin to tell you how impressed I was with them.

If you can find a pair, I would highly recommend giving them a listen, as they are much nicer than they might appear at first glance.

Wanda
April 30th, 2009, 06:39 PM
Thanks for the info. The subwoffer is a given. I am somewhat homebound so an independant, although not impossible (and indeed prefferable), is a challenge.

Wanda
April 30th, 2009, 06:51 PM
I am looking into these right now. I am getting a good "vibe" about this. Even if these are not useful in a longer term plan they seem to fit with my immediate problem and the loss that I would take later on would be far less that getting something more pricy. It kills me the prices on electronic gear can get so astronomical. Thanks for the tip!

gn2
April 30th, 2009, 07:09 PM
I have a pair of Creative Gigaworks T20 speakers and I can highly recommend them.

Review here (http://www.trustedreviews.com/multimedia/review/2007/04/19/Creative-GigaWorks-T20-2-0-Speakers/p1)

https://www.pcczone.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/5e06319eda06f020e43594a9c230972d/G/i/GigaWorks_T20_c_1.jpg

PurposeOfReason
April 30th, 2009, 08:13 PM
There is a lot to be asked here? What do you listen to? What quality are your files? Do you game? Like bass? Using an amp?

Really, get yourself a good pair of 2.0 speakers for $100 or less. If they're decent quality, they'll cover the bass just fine. Never get 5.1 unless you're about to fork out some big cash. Those logitech for $300USD, yeah, those are horrible. If you really want 2.1, I sugguest these some swan m10s. They won't break the walls with thumping bass, but that's a good thing IMO.

http://www.theaudioinsider.com/product_info.php?cPath=21_24&products_id=89

EDIT - I know he said $40, but there aren't that many, if any, good speakers for $40 out there. Unless he really just needs something to put out sound. Then anything works really.

Wanda
April 30th, 2009, 10:44 PM
Thanks for taking the time to post gn2 and Purpose of Reason,

PurposeOfReason: You may be POR but I am POOR :(. Yes, there are a lot of questions but the answer to them is NO. My audio files are mediocre at best in terms of quality. Please bear in mind that I am using a machine from the last millennium and my present speaker system was a bundled deal, that was never sold as a direct retail product from Boston Acoustics. When they were new they sounded great. As I mentioned I listen to a lot of streamed radio and films, and there the audio quality is doubtful add to the equation that my connection is slow DSL. (Personally I am not that impressed with fiber optic speeds... but then again my style is in the slow track.)

gn2: your speakers look great and I have no doubt that they sound swell, but I am on a very fixed survival income.

I know that in 2009, $100 is not a lot of money to spend on anything, from a bar chit, to a handbag (those daze long gone for me). However, I just can't see spending so much for something that is so basic. In the end I may very well have to get even better speakers when I eventually get the new computer. In the interim would the added cost be justified? Especial since I have acclimated over the years to increasingly problematic audio output and acquired such a tin ear?

gn2
April 30th, 2009, 10:55 PM
No need to spend $100 (http://cgi.ebay.com/Creative-Technology-GigaWorks-T20-2-Speakers_W0QQitemZ320366263904QQcmdZViewItemQQptZP CA_Speakers?hash=item320366263904&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1234|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A13 18|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50).

Saint Angeles
April 30th, 2009, 11:02 PM
...Never get 5.1 unless you're about to fork out some big cash...
unless you find some cheap ones and get lucky with the quality, like i did! i'm very happy with my surround sound, especially while watching movies on my computer. nothing beats having explosions come from behind you (or the sides in my case, due to the layout of my room, the rear speakers are on the walls to the side of me).

i'm very familiar with the importance of high quality speakers as I've spent a couple years studying music at a private music school, took classes on studio recording, and i've recorded a couple albums on my own computer(s).

the truth is, a lot of people make a huge deal about getting expensive speakers but the quality of the sound is determined by not just how expensive and fancy the speakers are, but the size/shape of the room the speakers are in and anything else thats in the room too. sometimes you can get lucky with a cheap set of speakers. its really hard to tell exactly how its going to sound until you plug it in.

when creating any kind of entertainment system, you must realize that good quality audio is more important than good quality video. this is because when you have good sound with a subwoofer, your body can feel the vibrations which places you in the center of the action more so than a good picture does. it has to do with the way your body interprets external stimuli and blah blah blah...

to sum this up... surround sound rocks really hard, but if you can't get it, make sure you got a powerful subwoofer you can really feel!

hessiess
April 30th, 2009, 11:08 PM
Just get an amp and some 2/3 way desktop/shelf speakers ;)

PurposeOfReason
May 1st, 2009, 12:22 AM
Thanks for taking the time to post gn2 and Purpose of Reason,

PurposeOfReason: You may be POR but I am POOR :(. Yes, there are a lot of questions but the answer to them is NO. My audio files are mediocre at best in terms of quality. Please bear in mind that I am using a machine from the last millennium and my present speaker system was a bundled deal, that was never sold as a direct retail product from Boston Acoustics. When they were new they sounded great. As I mentioned I listen to a lot of streamed radio and films, and there the audio quality is doubtful add to the equation that my connection is slow DSL. (Personally I am not that impressed with fiber optic speeds... but then again my style is in the slow track.)

gn2: your speakers look great and I have no doubt that they sound swell, but I am on a very fixed survival income.

I know that in 2009, $100 is not a lot of money to spend on anything, from a bar chit, to a handbag (those daze long gone for me). However, I just can't see spending so much for something that is so basic. In the end I may very well have to get even better speakers when I eventually get the new computer. In the interim would the added cost be justified? Especial since I have acclimated over the years to increasingly problematic audio output and acquired such a tin ear?

I understand that, very much so in todays economy. So if $40 is really you're limit:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16836113013
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16836121002

Remember, never listen to newegg reviews unless they are very one sided. "Experts" are 15yr old kids who think they know what [insert item here] is capable of. Both of these sets will more than meet your needs.

Wanda
May 1st, 2009, 01:41 AM
Purpose Of Reason, thanks for taking the time. I think I can do better on newegg, which I just bookmarked. BTW, You have some real street cred with making that list of desk tops twice:KS! It is very impressive. Everyone should take a gander at those 25 Best Desk Tops. I am inspired!

San Angeles, Of course you have a point. It is just that I don't really want anything shaking. Bass IS important but I already have a problem with falling plaster, for real. And although listening to "Good Vibrations" in quadraphonic was all the rage... and it would be something to hear again, if only to recall a different time...

Hess, I thought about that, but for me it is just not practical. I am beginning to sense that I have too much stuff. I try to freecycle as much as possible.

gn2, I've taken note.

Continued thanks to all for posting. I think you all have oriented me as to how the cafe works - this is my first time here and in some ways I like it more than just asking for straight technical information. I really appreciate the posts.

CharmyBee
May 1st, 2009, 01:47 AM
I'm in love with my Logitech X-530 5.1 speaker set. Not an audio enthusiast's set that's for sure, but it's the best speakers i've personally heard out of. The x-530 hovers around the $50-60 price range.