PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] compiz 3d cube deformations under jaunty

danebramaged
April 30th, 2009, 04:33 PM
Upgraded from 8.1 to 9.04 and instead of the cylinder deformation, I get the cube. I turned deformations of and the gray back ground went away but I still get the cube.

PLease help me.

lovinglinux
April 30th, 2009, 04:45 PM
Me too. I think it is a bug.

When I first turned deformations on, nothing happened. Then the cylinder just appeared after a while using the machine, then vanished again and never came back.

overdrank
April 30th, 2009, 05:23 PM
Moved to Desktop Environments

lovinglinux
May 2nd, 2009, 09:01 AM
I figure it out. It seems that it only works if compiz draws the desktop, so the Wallpaper plugin must also be enabled.

danebramaged
May 2nd, 2009, 11:50 PM
What is, or where is the "Wallpaper Plugin". I enabled "Wallpaper" in compiz but it has absolutely no effect.

lovinglinux
May 3rd, 2009, 01:06 AM
What is, or where is the "Wallpaper Plugin". I enabled "Wallpaper" in compiz but it has absolutely no effect.

Just look for the "Wallpaper" tool in the compiz manager. I guess you got it already. Dunno why mine just works with it enabled tho. I must be missing something.

danebramaged
May 3rd, 2009, 04:24 AM
Thanks anyway. I live about 40 miles from the nearest magazine rack and download speeds are about 1/2 a megabit.

So, sometime this week I will take a look at what kind of distros are in the magazines. If there are no fixes by then, I will have to re-install or switch distros. I am not going to continue to run with a mangled system like this.

danebramaged
May 4th, 2009, 11:28 PM
The "Cube Deformations and Reflections" Plugin has not had the "Cube" option ever since 8.10, only cylinder and sphere. Yet, the cube is all i get and, I cannot make it go away.

Other plugins such as "Fire" work just fine. Perhaps it is just that one plugin?, as opposed to their being a serious flaw in compiz settings manager? Everything worked fine under 8.10. So what would have changed in compiz because of the upgrade? And why am I getting the cube to begin with? If anything I should be getting a cylinder or a sphere, as per usual.

Would uninstalling compiz and then re-installing it do more harm than good or, would that actually work? I am hesitant to try this prior to getting some feed back from the community.

Is it possible to just uninstall an individual plugin? ( ...and then of course reinstall it )

danebramaged
May 5th, 2009, 01:01 AM
I just uninstalled compiz using "Applications" then "Add/Remove". I rebooted my computer even though it probably wasn't required. I hit ctrl-al mouse click (button one). It's still there!

The other compiz effects (like fire) are there, but the cylinder deformation does not work and, the unwanted cube remains.

help.

danebramaged
May 7th, 2009, 10:02 PM
bump
:popcorn:

dvl300
May 8th, 2009, 09:46 PM
Go here
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/CompositeManager/CompizFusion
and do everything it says

Then restart Ubuntu and all should now work :)!
Enjoy!
\\:D/

dvl300
May 8th, 2009, 09:58 PM
-bump-

lovinglinux
May 8th, 2009, 10:37 PM
Edit: Thread was merged. Thanks.

Don1500
May 8th, 2009, 11:01 PM
I just uninstalled compiz using "Applications" then "Add/Remove". I rebooted my computer even though it probably wasn't required. I hit ctrl-al mouse click (button one). It's still there!

The other compiz effects (like fire) are there, but the cylinder deformation does not work and, the unwanted cube remains.

help.

Just a guess since mine works, ATI crad?