PDA

View Full Version : Win7 plug on BBC News, kind of "lol".

ZarathustraDK
April 30th, 2009, 03:45 PM
Mr Curran said that the Microsoft Windows team had been poring over every aspect of the operating system to make improvements.

"We were able to shave 400 milliseconds off the shutdown time by slightly trimming the WAV file shutdown music.

"It's indicative of really the level and detail and scrutiny on Windows 7."

One has to wonder when they'll figure out how to remove the shutdown sound in order to increase performance. :lolflag:

Giant Speck
April 30th, 2009, 03:53 PM
Wow... Mr. Curran really doesn't know how to sell an operating system...

Paqman
April 30th, 2009, 04:16 PM
I think you'll find Linux devs do similar stuff. Once you've trimmed out the big hitters shaving off 0.4sec here and there is how you get improvements in bootup and shutdown.

I read a really good link to one of the Debian dev's blogs detailing where improvements have been made in boot times recently, but can't find it.

Swagman
April 30th, 2009, 04:40 PM
I was going to post something about this myself.

Not so much about Windows Seven but more to do with the Blatant bias of the BBC

EG:

Where's the announcement about Ubuntu 9:04 being released ?

Paqman
April 30th, 2009, 04:41 PM

That's not really an example of bias. Windows is immensely more notable than any single Linux distro.

An Ubuntu release might be notable in Linuxworld, but it's not really a big deal in general. It happens every six months like clockwork after all.

And a quick search reveals that the BBC is quite happy (http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/technology/2008/04/is_it_lift_off_for_linux.html) to (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7358483.stm) cover (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7729978.stm) Ubuntu (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/6610901.stm) stories.

Swagman
April 30th, 2009, 04:52 PM
All from over a year ago

Ubuntu has come on leaps and bounds since then.

Giant Speck
April 30th, 2009, 04:57 PM

BBC will cover Ubuntu the day it starts reporting the news about my hometown of 10,000 people in Iowa. Daily.

Paqman
April 30th, 2009, 05:06 PM
All from over a year ago

Ubuntu has come on leaps and bounds since then.

So has everything else.

The Jaunty release is newsworthy for Linux news sites, but not really for general tech news. There's no bias, we're genuinely too small and our releases too incremental to be newsworthy.

Calmatory
April 30th, 2009, 05:11 PM
I was going to post something about this myself.

Not so much about Windows Seven but more to do with the Blatant bias of the BBC

EG:

How many people care about Ubuntu? Yeah, some 4 % of computer users. No wonder they don't bother reportinh something such insignificant as some minor Ubuntu upgrade version which happens every 6 months anyway. :|

Yeah, I am more interested about Windows 7 than I am about anything Ubuntu/Linux community has to offer for 2009-2010. The seven is actually an IMPROVEMENT.

Saint Angeles
April 30th, 2009, 05:19 PM
0.4 seconds?! holy crap! i think i need to throw out my current operating system for this amazing piece of software!

i mean... when i want to turn it off, it will take two fifths of a second less time than vista! this is excellent news to those of us who want to turn off windows very very quickly!

joey-elijah
April 30th, 2009, 05:49 PM
0.4 seconds?! holy crap! i think i need to throw out my current operating system for this amazing piece of software!

i mean... when i want to turn it off, it will take two fifths of a second less time than vista! this is excellent news to those of us who want to turn off windows very very quickly!

Windows 7 actually takes longer to shut down than vista. which is really bad given Vista has a known "issue" that was half addressed in SP1 resulting in shut downs of well over 1mins.

Saint Angeles
April 30th, 2009, 10:17 PM
Windows 7 actually takes longer to shut down than vista. which is really bad given Vista has a known "issue" that was half addressed in SP1 resulting in shut downs of well over 1mins.
damn... oh well, disregard my last post then.

i guess the only manly way of shutting down windows is by yanking the power cord outta the wall.

looks like i'll be sticking with my perfectly-configured jaunty install then... poop.

Namtabmai
April 30th, 2009, 10:19 PM
Blatant bias of the BBC

It's not bias as others have pointed out, it's nothing more than the BBCs usual incompetent reporting.

ZarathustraDK
April 30th, 2009, 10:52 PM
Ehmm not to be nitpicking or anything, but the OP was not really about MS being able to shave 0.4 sec off shutdown. Kudos for that, every little bit helps.

It was rather about how they describe "shaving 400 milliseconds off a wav-file" as a humonguous effort and a proof of their cunning attention to detail (emphasis mine).

I mean, ffs guys, if you're making an OS and you want that OS to be speedy, what does trimming a wav-file for speed (resulting in a faster shutdown) say about your competence in building an OS.

It's kinda like having a supposed 3-starred Michelin Chef ask if he should boil the water before making poached eggs.

t0p
April 30th, 2009, 11:07 PM
How many people care about Ubuntu? Yeah, some 4 % of computer users. No wonder they don't bother reportinh something such insignificant as some minor Ubuntu upgrade version which happens every 6 months anyway. :|

Yeah, I am more interested about Windows 7 than I am about anything Ubuntu/Linux community has to offer for 2009-2010. The seven is actually an IMPROVEMENT.

I accept that most computer users are not interested in Ubuntu. But it escapes me why anyone who frequents this site could care less about Windows 7. Heck, that's like a music lover celebrating the fact that Ringo Starr isn't dead yet.

mister_pink
April 30th, 2009, 11:42 PM
I mean, ffs guys, if you're making an OS and you want that OS to be speedy, what does trimming a wav-file for speed (resulting in a faster shutdown) say about your competence in building an OS.

I couldn't quite decide whether they meant they'd optimised the file, or just literally made it 0.4s shorter. If it really is the latter then that suggests that nothing else is occuring whilst playing the shutdown noise!

Anyway, I think the most amusing thing was how absolutely terrible that guy is at selling something. People dont want to read that their OS will turn off marginally quicker, they want to be told it will make their breakfast for them.

Daveski
April 30th, 2009, 11:46 PM
I couldn't quite decide whether they meant they'd optimised the file, or just literally made it 0.4s shorter.

I'd have thought the only way to optimise a WAV file would be by making it shorter.

Paqman
May 1st, 2009, 11:02 AM
But it escapes me why anyone who frequents this site could care less about Windows 7.

What makes you think that people who use this site don't use Windows?

renzokuken
May 1st, 2009, 11:11 AM
i could improve that 400 milliseconds by simply turning off the shutdown sound. i think i should patent that idea then sell it back to microsoft.

3rdalbum
May 1st, 2009, 12:13 PM
If trimming the shutdown sound really makes the computer shut down quicker, then that must mean that the shutdown sound is blocking the rest of the shutdown process.

Microsoft could be REALLY clever and have the sound play asynchronously, so other shutdown tasks can be happening while the sound is playing. Or better yet, they could fix the problem where Windows decides not to shut down because a program has hung, and after about 5 minutes you get a message asking if you want to end the task.

Maybe Microsoft's engineers aren't quite that clever.

Calmatory
May 1st, 2009, 01:37 PM
I accept that most computer users are not interested in Ubuntu. But it escapes me why anyone who frequents this site could care less about Windows 7. Heck, that's like a music lover celebrating the fact that Ringo Starr isn't dead yet.

Not everyone here is Linux fanatic. Not everyone here hates Microsoft. And not everyone here thinks that Ubuntu is the holy savior of computer Operating Systems. It is not. And some people actually have to use Windows on a daily basis. And then there are these people who don't care, including me.

I hope we all can get along in the same boat we sail.

ZarathustraDK
May 1st, 2009, 05:19 PM
Not everyone here is Linux fanatic. Not everyone here hates Microsoft.

Don't equivocate Microsoft with WinXP or Win7. Sure, the systems may have their merits, but I've yet to see anyone with a "I love Microsoft"-t-shirt who doesn't hold MS-stocks.

And not everyone here thinks that Ubuntu is the holy savior of computer Operating Systems. It is not.

Perhaps not, but if any linux were to be nominated for beatification, I'm pretty sure Ubuntu would be first choice ;)

And some people actually have to use Windows on a daily basis.

Call PETH (People for the Ethical treatment of Humans)