PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Install Problems - Please help.

Pinecone_
April 30th, 2009, 03:26 PM
Hi. I've been using a dual boot setup with windows XP and Ubuntu for about a month now with no problems and i thought it was time to reformat and organize my partitions so i could have documents and music and whatnot on a separate partition so i could access them from both windows and Ubuntu.

Anyway, i arranged my partitions and installed XP again as follows:
40gb partition with windows installed
40gb partition which i planned on installing Ubuntu on
60gb partition for documents and the like

XP is now installed however when i inserted the Ubuntu CD, i came across a few problems.

Firstly, i had to disable the "ACPI APCI support" option in my bios, otherwise booting of the live CD would freeze at "Starting hardware abstraction layer hald". However, the down side of disabling that option is that I have to re-enable it in order to boot back to windows installed on my hard drive.

Second, my mouse lags unbearably when booting from the live CD. I haven't been able to find any information about this.

Third, if i put up with the mouse lag and try to install ubuntu, when i get to the select partition stage of the installer, the box is just empty and i can't select anything. I read somewhere that a corrupted partition table could cause that, but i cant see that being the problem as i had just reformated.

The Ubuntu CD I'm using shouldn't have any errors as it just arrived in the mail today (previously i was using an image burned to a disk which is now experiencing the same problems as the pressed CD).

Thanks in advance for any help.