PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] partial upgrade does not work in Jaunty

m4lte
April 30th, 2009, 02:33 PM
SOLVED

I recently upgraded to Jaunty. It seems like everything works, my machine is running fine.
However, when I start the Update Manager, I get a message saying "Not all updates can be installed
Run a partial upgrade, to install as many updates as possible."
I click on 'partial upgrade' and a window title "Distribution Upgrade" saying it's "Running partial upgrade". Then I get a dialogue box saying "Do you want to start the upgrade.
1 package is going to be removed. 3 new packages ware going to be installed. 38 to be upgraded..."
I click OK, then the windows disappears and the Update Manager quits.

What could be the reason I can't install updates properly?

I have Jaunty 9.04, with Kernel 2.6.28-11 and GNOME 2.26.1 running on a ThinkPad R400.

EDIT:
I solved the problem running the Update Manager from the command line as described in this post: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1122008&page=2
I got the partial upgrade installed and now everything seems to work again.

danebramaged
April 30th, 2009, 02:54 PM
You are not alone in this. I get pretty much the same thing. (1 package is going to be removed. 3 new packages are going to be installed. 1 package is going to be upgraded.) It wants to remove libdb4.5-java and, install libdb4.6-java, install libdb4.6-java-gcj, install liblrdf0 and Upgrade liblucene2-java.

I then click on "Start Upgrade" and I get nothing. The window disappears and that is all.

I am upgrading from 8.10 TO 9.04 on an AMD Sempron 3100+

UPDATE: Yep. Works for me.

Pointu
May 1st, 2009, 12:07 AM
Thank you for sharing this. I had the same problem too and this solution worked for me too.

flarkit
May 1st, 2009, 04:45 AM
Hi,

Another 'thanks' from me. Also solved this for me by running "sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade"
:)

spmccann
May 4th, 2009, 02:14 PM
Thanks for that it was bugging me. Now just to fix xorg with the intel chipset and I'm sorted.