PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Selecting characters in Terminal

DayvanKowboy
April 30th, 2009, 01:57 PM
Good day http://ubuntuforums.org/images/smilies/guitar.gif What do you mean that emoticon was out of place?
Ok so I am pretty brand spankin new to Linux and I have a question about using Terminal. I'm wanting to write a shell script that will automate and rename some mp3's for me. Right now I'm using something like this:

for f in *.mp2; mv "$f" "${f.mp2}.mp3"; done (On an off-note I'm really unsure what % means because I tried to find it as I just nicked this script and I couldn't find an explenation of why it is so important? I tried removing it but got a bad substitute error)

Ok so that's just an example and I can't really think of any decent reason for songs having a .mp2 extension in the first place. However I don't think this method is very efficient (actually it is very efficient it's just a pain in the **** when you misuse it) as I was messing around with scripts last night and I ended up with files ending in .mp3.mp3.mp3.mp3.mp3(etc for the next four lines). So it was hard to fix and I ended up just removing the files and starting again. So what I'm looking for now is to store in the variable f all the characters before .mp3? Because I think the way terminal works is if I used something like

for f in *.mp3

It would put the whole filename in f. So basically all I want is to learn how to select all the characters before a certain point in a file name. Cheers for any help Peace Jamie

cariboo
April 30th, 2009, 06:30 PM
To make you task a lot easier, use somethin like this:

for i in *.mp3; do mv "$i" `echo $i | tr ' ' '_'`; done

to remove the spaces and replace them with an underscore. then for consistency use this:

for i in *.[Mm][Pp]3; do mv "$i" `echo $i | tr '[A-Z]' '[a-z]'`; done

to remove capital letters in file names. Linux doesn't deal well with spaces in file names, as it sees words seperated by spaces as seperate files.

DayvanKowboy
April 30th, 2009, 07:50 PM
Cheers man that helps, but I was wondering if there was alternate code so that if I do make a mistake again and end up with multiple extensions, is there a way to select all the characters before the first period (.) in the filename?

DayvanKowboy
May 1st, 2009, 12:39 AM
Bumpity?

spillin_dylan
May 1st, 2009, 03:40 AM
You're going to need something along the lines of:

echo ${file%%.mp3*}
This should "echo" anything before ".mp3", IIRC.

There are some awesome bash tutorials on this stuff on the 'net, but I'm not sure exactly where at the moment....

spillin_dylan
May 1st, 2009, 04:51 AM
Try this:

http://www.tldp.org/LDP/abs/html/

DayvanKowboy
May 1st, 2009, 08:26 PM
Thanks a lot guys, I see what I'm doing now :)