PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] General Install Problems

cybercrypt13
April 30th, 2009, 01:51 PM
Its been a while since I tried out Linux and was really hoping after the 3 years I've been gone that it would have improved as far as the desktop goes. However, I seem to be having problems getting anything substantial to work and hope you guys can help me out.

1) I downloaded and attempted to install Skype and get error message that lib-qt4 is missing and no instructions on how to correct this.

2) I've tried opening mpeg video files just to see what happened and get messages that I'm missing something but again no instructions on how to correct this.

3) My dual monitor is showing all sorts of flashing colors on it instead of displaying the desktop and I'm not sure why or how to correct it.

Can anyone point me to where I can learn more about how to get Ubuntu to work correctly and fix some of these issues?

Thanks,

taurus
April 30th, 2009, 03:03 PM
1. Install skype from Medibuntu, https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Medibuntu.

2. Have you installed ubuntu-restricted-extras package?

cybercrypt13
April 30th, 2009, 03:03 PM
Forget item one as I found a google link that talked about the package application. I used it and it fixed my problems. Still trying to figure out the dual monitor problem but now is looking like I'm going to have to totally reload XP which really stinks. I can't get it to book at all now.

taurus
April 30th, 2009, 03:08 PM
What graphic card does it have and have you installed a driver for it?

cybercrypt13
May 1st, 2009, 06:52 PM
I found the driver program in a google search and have gotten it going. Everything for the most part seems to be working now.

Sorry for the trouble.