PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] screenreoslution cannot be fixed

newintolinux
April 30th, 2009, 12:27 PM
As a newcomer to ubuntu i tried to install the latest distro on two laptops and experienced the same problem: The screen resolution is too low and everything looks very big.

The settings cannot be changed by me. If i install Kubuntu there is no rpoblem with my screenresolution and everything works fine.

I would like to switch to Ubuntu but i need to solve this problem. Can anyone help me to solve this?

AlecJ
April 30th, 2009, 12:31 PM
You need to install the correct video card drivers. You don't say what type your computers have.

khelben1979
April 30th, 2009, 01:01 PM
Check what graphic card/chip there is before trying to install new drivers also:

sudo lspci | grep VGA

newintolinux
May 3rd, 2009, 11:50 AM
The laptop is a ASUS G1 with NVIDIA 9500M GS. I have tried to install the new drivers from nvidia but this also does not help.

blackened
May 3rd, 2009, 12:05 PM
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Config/Resolution is a good place to start.

newintolinux
May 3rd, 2009, 10:23 PM
Today i spent some time again with uninstalling and installing Ubuntu 9.04 on the laptop. And the third time everything worked fine and i can set my screen resolution accordingly.

Thanks for the help

khelben1979
May 4th, 2009, 12:06 AM
Today i spent some time again with uninstalling and installing Ubuntu 9.04 on the laptop. And the third time everything worked fine and i can set my screen resolution accordingly.

Thanks for the help

Installing and uninstalling the whole Linux distribution should never be necessary. Hmm.. :-k But I guess this is the consequence when Windows users moves to Linux.

Glad that you got it working.

trentmc
May 4th, 2009, 12:14 AM
I had this problem with a Toshiba laptop awhile ago. I was able to do this by...

booting up off kubuntu live cd
copy the /etc/X11/xorg.conf to a usb flash drive

boot back up into ubuntu
back up your current /etc/X11/xorg.conf
and replace it with the one you copied from kubuntu

... this worked for me

may be worth a try

- Trent

EDIT: just realized you have already fixed this .... anyway may be useful for someone else

blackened
May 4th, 2009, 12:46 AM
Installing and uninstalling the whole Linux distribution should never be necessary...

Necessary no, sometimes easier than spending all the time it would take to diagnose, research, and repair that which you have torn up, absolutely.

...Hmm.. :-k But I guess this is the consequence when Windows users moves to Linux...

True. Sad, but true. The bad part is that it's not always necessary to reinstall Windows either, but many do, both for the reasons I described above and just because they know it's a sure-fire way to fix their problem.