PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] how to boot from external hdd if bios not support??

stinger30au
April 30th, 2009, 12:21 PM
i have installed ubuntu 9.04 to an external usb hdd. i have tried it on a few pc's i can set the bios to "boot from usb hdd"

i have a toshiba satellite a60 that id like to get it to boot ubuntu from the hdd

the bios does not support usb booting

is there a cd or floppy i can make or download to enable this to happen?

thanks

Judgegeo
April 30th, 2009, 12:36 PM
i have installed ubuntu 9.04 to an external usb hdd. i have tried it on a few pc's i can set the bios to "boot from usb hdd"

i have a toshiba satellite a60 that id like to get it to boot ubuntu from the hdd

the bios does not support usb booting

is there a cd or floppy i can make or download to enable this to happen?

thanks

Youll need to update your BIOS by flashing it with the latest version. They might have added USB support, but then again they might not have.

halitech
April 30th, 2009, 12:47 PM
Is windows installed on the internal drive? If so then you could edit the windows boot loader to list Ubuntu on the external and allow you to boot it. If you don't want to do that then a boot disk is possible but not sure where you would get one.

stinger30au
April 30th, 2009, 01:12 PM
Youll need to update your BIOS by flashing it with the latest version. They might have added USB support, but then again they might not have.

done this just now. no usb boot :-((

stinger30au
April 30th, 2009, 01:12 PM
Is windows installed on the internal drive? If so then you could edit the windows boot loader to list Ubuntu on the external and allow you to boot it.

im happy to do this

how do i do it?

halitech
April 30th, 2009, 01:20 PM
I'm not completely sure. Is it Windows 2000, XP or Vista?

stinger30au
April 30th, 2009, 01:54 PM
windows xp home

i have been for a hunt with google and found this

http://www.pendrivelinux.com/usb-boot-cd-for-ubuntu-810/

i have 9.04.
will investiage further tomorrow afternoon after work. im going to catch some zzzz's for the night

halitech
April 30th, 2009, 01:59 PM
that should work, just replace 8.10 in the menu list with 9.04 and use the 9.04 cd to create the cd.

lisati
April 30th, 2009, 02:04 PM
There's also Smart Boot Manager (http://sourceforge.net/projects/btmgr/), which can be put on a floppy to let you choose where to boot your main OS from.

stinger30au
April 30th, 2009, 10:03 PM
thanks guys

i will put it to the test tonight

logos34
April 30th, 2009, 10:12 PM
smartbootmanager doesn't have usb support, and how could the windows method work when your Bios does not support usb boot (can't see the ext drive)?

I think the only way is to put the kernel on the internal disk and boot it from there:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BootFromUSB#Booting%20the%20kernel%20from%20an%20i nternal%20hard%20drive

stinger30au
May 1st, 2009, 01:13 AM
i followed these instruction

http://www.pendrivelinux.com/usb-boot-cd-for-ubuntu-810/

copied here just incase the other web site vanishes

==========================================
This USB Boot CD can be used to boot a Ubuntu 8.10USB flash drive on computers with a BIOS that does not natively support booting from USB. The boot CD contains a grub bootloader that loads the initrd and vmlinuz kernel from the CD and then proceeds to locate the filesystem on the USB flash drive. Because the USB drivers are preloaded from the initrd on the CD, the USB flash drive can then easily be detected.

Could also be used to Boot Ubuntu from a USB Flash Drive on Apple Mac, Macbook and, Macbook Pro.
Note: This USB Boot CD should work on most older systems. However, it has been noted from testers that some systems with hardware that only supports USB 1.0 may not work.
Can be used to boot flash drives created using the USB Ubuntu 8.10 tutorial (http://www.pendrivelinux.com/ubuntu-810-install-using-the-built-in-usb-installer/)
USB Boot CD for Ubuntu 8.10 creation essentials

PC with a BIOS that does not support booting from USB
Working CD Drive and USB Port
Ubuntu 8.10 Live CD
USB flash drive with Ubuntu 8.10 preinstalled

How to Create a CD to Boot Ubuntu from USB

The following process will enable you to create a Boot CD that can be used to Boot Ubuntu 8.10 from a USB Flash drive on systems that do not natively support booting from USB.

Insert the Ubuntu 8.10 Live CD and restart your computer, booting from the CD
Open a Terminal and type mkdir -p ubcd/boot/grub
Type cp /usr/lib/grub/i386-pc/stage2_eltorito ubcd/boot/grub
Type gedit ubcd/boot/grub/menu.lst
Add the following information to your menu.lst file and save it to ubcd/boot/grub

title Run Ubuntu 8.10 from USB DISK
root (cd)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz file=/cdrom/preseed/ubuntu.seed boot=casper noprompt cdrom-detect/try-usb=true persistent quiet splash
initrd /boot/initrd.gz
boot

Type cp /cdrom/casper/initrd.gz ~/ubcd/boot
Type cp /cdrom/casper/vmlinuz ~/ubcd/boot
Type mkisofs -R -b boot/grub/stage2_eltorito -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 -boot-info-table -o usbcd.iso ubcd
Burn the usbcd.iso to a CD

Booting from the USB Boot CD

Shutdown your computer
Insert both the Boot CD and the Ubuntu 8.10 USB flash drive
Set your BIOS or Startup Menu to boot from CD
Start your computer (booting from the CD)

If all goes well, the CD should load the necessary USB drivers, detect your
USB device and proceed to boot Ubuntu 8.10 from the flash drive.
==========================================

i burnt the cd
it starts up and says it will boot ubuntu 9.04 usb
up comes the ubuntu splash screen and the knight rider led waves backwards and forwards for a few minutes and i can see the usb hdd light flashing away as it loads

then i get a "busybox v1.10.2" screen pop up

under that i get this

(initramfs)

and next to that is a flashing cursor, so it almost worked!

logos34
May 1st, 2009, 01:29 AM
yep, that's the other way--put the kernel on a boot cd.

stinger30au
May 1st, 2009, 10:31 AM
yep, that's the other way--put the kernel on a boot cd.

did that, and it almost worked

i burnt the cd
it starts up and says it will boot ubuntu 9.04 usb
up comes the ubuntu splash screen and the knight rider led waves backwards and forwards for a few minutes and i can see the usb hdd light flashing away as it loads

then i get a "busybox v1.10.2" screen pop up

under that i get this

(initramfs)

and next to that is a flashing cursor, so it almost worked!

any ideas how to fix this?

logos34
May 1st, 2009, 07:39 PM
maybe it's a bug (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/jaunty/+source/linux/+bug/363038)

stinger30au
May 2nd, 2009, 02:28 AM
maybe it's a bug (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/jaunty/+source/linux/+bug/363038)

ah ha... reading this it looks like it afftects the r/s and thats what i have

looks like i need to download the final as the bug is solved...

must try this

stinger30au
May 3rd, 2009, 12:35 AM
i gave up on this and decided to dual boot the laptop instead

it has a 30 gig hdd so have given 6 gig to ubuntu 9.04

i think from what i have been reading the reason why my boot cd failed is becase the external hdd i have setup i made it boot on a pc that had a bios to allow it to boot and let it to its updates

when i made the boot cd i went to the laptop and put the original 9.04 boot dc in with the usb hdd plugged in and made the boot cd

from what i gather, the kernel on the boot cd mus be the *SAME* as the kernel on the external hdd

cos i did the update on the usb hdd and it updated the kernal so it was newer then the one on the cd, i think this is the reason for the failure

no matter now... it works and i will just save my data to the 160 gig external hdd i have

i must have another go thu at making a boot cd as i have a friend who has a toshiba and his hdd controller on his laptop mobo has died and im sure we can keep it going if we use an external hdd and a boot cd.
the latop is 4 year old so its warranty is over

logos34
May 3rd, 2009, 01:47 AM
i think from what i have been reading the reason why my boot cd failed is becase the external hdd i have setup i made it boot on a pc that had a bios to allow it to boot and let it to its updates

you mean you just downloaded the updates or did you also install ubuntu to the usb on another machine? If the latter, that could be the explanation for your troubles.

I don't think the difference in the kernels is the issue--you'll just be running the older one from the cd. Should work all the same. I boot my previous kernel every once in a while.

What about booting the kernel for the usb installation from the hard disk, as I suggested above? Might not work, but worth a try--you already have an ubuntu partition on it. If successful, you can then reduce the 6 gb / to just the bare minimum to hold the kernel (~50 mb). Then you can have the whole 30 gb for windows, and linux segregated on the external.

stinger30au
May 3rd, 2009, 06:04 AM
you mean you just downloaded the updates or did you also install ubuntu to the usb on another machine? If the latter, that could be the explanation for your troubles.

I don't think the difference in the kernels is the issue--you'll just be running the older one from the cd. Should work all the same. I boot my previous kernel every once in a while.

What about booting the kernel for the usb installation from the hard disk, as I suggested above? Might not work, but worth a try--you already have an ubuntu partition on it. If successful, you can then reduce the 6 gb / to just the bare minimum to hold the kernel (~50 mb). Then you can have the whole 30 gb for windows, and linux segregated on the external.

i understand what your talking about, but how to actually *DO* what your talking about i have no idea

logos34
May 3rd, 2009, 07:35 PM
i understand what your talking about, but how to actually *DO* what your talking about i have no idea

It's all explained in the link in Post #11.

stinger30au
May 4th, 2009, 01:05 AM
It's all explained in the link in Post #11.

awesome. thanks