View Full Version : [ubuntu] File System - Application data - Need some very basic information

April 30th, 2009, 11:33 AM
I have installed the program Rainlendar. No sweat. Now I want to add a skin. Uhoh.

The installation instruction tells me to copy the files to the Rainlendar skin folder. Aha.

Sounds easy enough.

Except I can't find it.

Searched the internal hard drive for Rainlendar. It doesn't seem to exist. (Does the Search function search the subfolders too ? It doesn't say and there seems to be no option for it)

And while looking for it, the question pops up: Where is the Ubuntu equivalent to the Windows "application data" ? Some of it seems to be in my home folder. But not all of it.

Where are the program files ? I looked through Places | File System but it really doesn't make much sense to me.

Can somebody either point me to a place where this is explained, in detail, in newbie-speak, in ex-windows-user-speak and/or just tell me where to copy those skin files ?

Thanks in advance for any help.

April 30th, 2009, 11:39 AM
The application data does in fact reside in the home folder. It is however in hidden directories. A file or directory name that starts with a dot "." is hidden. You can unhide the files by hitting the "Ctrl" + "h" key or by selecting Show hidden Files" from the "View" menu.

Look oft the directory ".rainlendar"

April 30th, 2009, 11:41 AM
Where are the program files ?

Most of the configuration files for programs are in your home directory - they are hidden though. a directory that startd with "." like:

will be hidden in nautilus. You can make them visible with CTRL+H

Good luck

April 30th, 2009, 12:52 PM
ok, that is good to know !

Now I only need to find that introduction to the linux file system...but 'll find it...

thank you :-)

April 30th, 2009, 01:26 PM

Take your pick :)