PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] NetworkManager automatically reconnects to my wireless network

skotos
April 30th, 2009, 10:32 AM
At every reboot / user login, Network Manager automatically reconnects my notebook to my wireless network and this is not my favourite default option.

Unfortunately I did not find a way in the Gnome Network Manager applet to permanently unmark the Enable Wireless flag. How can this be achieved?
The Connect automatically flag is not set for my only one configured wireless lan.

Furthermore, I have noticed that Network Manager is currently able to automatically re-enable my hardware switched off wireless nic. Any idea on how this hardware switch might be treated/configured in order to have Network Manager act accordingly to its hardware state?

FYI: My notebook is an Acer Aspire 9815WKMi (20" LCD).

skotos
May 17th, 2009, 03:13 AM
As of today the problem has been partially solved probably due to an update: there is no more wifi automatic reconnection (no change in any automatic login flag has been performed).

This can be sufficiently secure, though I have not still found a way to automatically avoid to start the wifi nic.

tp42
May 25th, 2009, 04:16 PM
Hi Skotos,
Sorry for not providing a solution... but rather sharing a similar problem...
I work on an Lenovo X301 notebook. And I am faced with a rather similar situation:
I switch off the WLAN-access with the Function Key (F5) or within the Network-Manager Applet and both works perfect. But when I restart my X301, it connects automatically to LAN *and* WLAN interface. I am really looking for an option to make the LAN interface active per default and to make the WLAN interface inactive per default.
Perhaps someone more experienced could provide us a hint?

skotos
November 10th, 2009, 09:50 AM
Since many has come here looking for a solution, I am giving a very late feedback anyway: I have just upgraded to Karmic (9.10) and this is no more an issue.

The Gnome NetworkManager applet, in fact, has got this flag:

Connect automatically

and this definitely solves the problem. Still, I think it has been solved/added before, but I cannot check any more: all my Ubuntu network is proudly and simply running Karmic.