PDA

View Full Version : Hello all

Gregory
January 8th, 2006, 05:56 PM
Having just registered just minutes ago, I saw an invitation to introduce myself. Well my name is Greg and I came across Ubuntu through Tom's Hardware guide. I downloaded the DVD version and completely forgot that I had it in my DVD reader, so when I went to reformat my Red Hat Fedora core, I ended up loading Ubuntu. So I thought I might as well try this while I have it on the computer. I must say that I love the Synaptic Package Manager for installing programs. I have loaded more programs in one week then I had with RHFC1 in six months!
My biggest problem is getting my printer to work. I have four computers, three on Windows XP and a HP Laserjet 1000 hooked up to one Windows XP computer. Ubuntu can read all the computers but not the printer.... Where can I go for support on this one.
On my birthday I received th O'Reilly Linux Pocket Guide and Linux in a nutshell. I hope that with these books and this forum I can be quite efficient with Linux by the end of 2006!
Greg

mstlyevil
January 8th, 2006, 06:54 PM
Having just registered just minutes ago, I saw an invitation to introduce myself. Well my name is Greg and I came across Ubuntu through Tom's Hardware guide. I downloaded the DVD version and completely forgot that I had it in my DVD reader, so when I went to reformat my Red Hat Fedora core, I ended up loading Ubuntu. So I thought I might as well try this while I have it on the computer. I must say that I love the Synaptic Package Manager for installing programs. I have loaded more programs in one week then I had with RHFC1 in six months!
My biggest problem is getting my printer to work. I have four computers, three on Windows XP and a HP Laserjet 1000 hooked up to one Windows XP computer. Ubuntu can read all the computers but not the printer.... Where can I go for support on this one.
On my birthday I received th O'Reilly Linux Pocket Guide and Linux in a nutshell. I hope that with these books and this forum I can be quite efficient with Linux by the end of 2006!
Greg

Are you using Breezy 5.10 or Dapper 6.04. Dapper is a unstable development version and Breezy is the official release. The printer problem may a problem due to using a release canidate. HP has linux drivers but I am not sure if they are installed in Ubuntu by default. Check your version and let us know.

BTW. Here is a link to the thread for support issue
http://www.ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=90
I have no clue myself on the printer issue but there are people on these threads that do this sort of thing all the time. They are very friendly also.

Gregory
January 8th, 2006, 08:14 PM
I don't really know what I am running. I know that it is Ubuntu 5.10. Is that "Breezy?

Iandefor
January 8th, 2006, 08:45 PM
5.10 is Breezy Badger. You're running the recommended version, then.

Gregory
January 8th, 2006, 09:33 PM
Thank you / Merci
Good to know. But how can I find out on My computer?

mstlyevil
January 8th, 2006, 09:39 PM
Thank you / Merci
Good to know. But how can I find out on My computer?

Log on to Ubuntu then pop in the CD you installed from. Then open it up and read the files inside and they should have the version number listed in there some where. It might show on the Grub but I am not shure where you would look on the desktop to tell you which version.

Gregory
January 9th, 2006, 02:31 AM
Yes. Thank you again. This is what it says:
#define DISKNAME Ubuntu 5.10 "Breezy Badger" - Release i386
#define TYPE binary
#define TYPEbinary 1
#define ARCH i386
#define ARCHi386 1
#define DISKNUM 1
#define DISKNUM1 1
#define TOTALNUM 1
#define TOTALNUM1 1

poofyhairguy
January 9th, 2006, 04:23 AM

You can ask for support in the forums or in IRC. I am amazed that the printer does not work like it did in Fedora though....did you have to do anything to set it up in Fedora?