PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] installing kubuntu without changing the mbr of windows

brijraj22
April 30th, 2009, 06:45 AM
i want to install kubuntu on my portable hdd ( 80 gb) but i want to run kubuntu only when i specifically boot from my portable hdd and do not want any changes in the boot record of windows vista.is that possible?
i have done this on ubuntu but the installation of kubuntu is slightly different and i cant find the option in the kubuntu installer

Zorael
April 30th, 2009, 12:37 PM
Supposedly when you get to the final screen before it starts creating filesystems and copying files, you can hit Advanced and choose not to install the bootloader (grub). I'd make a backup of the mbr first though; I think you can do that with testdisk from the repos.

SuperSonic4
April 30th, 2009, 12:41 PM
Or you can choose where to install it to. Making a backup as said in post 2 will be a good safety net

I think the easiest method would be to plug in the external drive and unplug the internal drive and so grub will have to install to the external and not see windows.

Once done and shutdown you can plug in the windows drive and should be able to pick whichever via the bios.