PDA

View Full Version : Is it me, or is 9.04 REALLY buggy?

pi.boy.travis
April 30th, 2009, 03:02 AM
I don't think I have been impacted my this many bugs in one release since 7.04. The only system that is still functioning perfectly is my server!

Have a look at this list. . . (https://bugs.launchpad.net/~pi-boy-travis)

Anyone else find this release really buggy?

Ah well, it just makes me look forward to Karmic.

andrewabc
April 30th, 2009, 03:10 AM
Yep, it has been really buggy for me.

First two times trying to install, it crashed a minute before finishing the install. Third time it installed properly.

I have the shutdown beep bug (on 3 different computers). Didn't internal computer speaker beeps go out of style 10 years ago? How did this get into final product?

I have no sound. I tried stuff others have suggested, I tried "jaunty proposed" updates, and that didn't work (but it did remove my printer driver...). Sometimes when I start computer sound does work. But then it stops a couple minutes later. Most of the time ubuntu starts muted, and even when unmuted no sound. I tried different alsa/pulseaudio, changed all sound outputs/volumes. No solution. Tried editing config files. This is not acceptable.

Intrepid worked better out of the box than this one.

Looks like I'll be upgrading to 9.10 quickly. This is on a 2007 core2duo computer.

I did install it on a 2003 computer and everything went fine. Scared to install on other peoples computer since it is so buggy on mine.

Oddly my intel g965 x3000 compiz works fine. Glad that bug having it blacklisted did not affect me.

joey-elijah
April 30th, 2009, 03:11 AM
So far for me it's been the least buggy Ubuntu i've ever tried! It's so snappy!

Intrepid was probably the most problematic for me.

I know there are lots os issues for people using Intel atm, so i guess i'm lucky i'm an AMD/Nvidia person.

executorvs
April 30th, 2009, 03:11 AM
probably you. but that means someone else with similar hardware may also be affected.

I've notice some python issues with programs involving older python dependencies and that drag and drop no longer works on some programs (VLC and media player won't just let me drag media on to them anymore).

for the most part I've had fewer issues than anything since I started with dapper.

getting tablet PCs to run smoothly is still a white whale IMO. once we have that and good webcam support I'll be happy... for a few weeks.

Beezleray
April 30th, 2009, 03:12 AM
So far I haven't encountered any bugs, I could just be lucky.

Depressed Man
April 30th, 2009, 03:15 AM
Only bugs I have noticed..

1) sound pops sometimes on notification. Probably due to ALSA

2) Intel video driver issue. Was going go fix it by following steps, but the 2D performance doesn't bother me enough to do an unofficial hack. Hopefully an official fix will happen soon.

mamamia88
April 30th, 2009, 03:16 AM
i have an annoying bug where spacebar stops working in anything but gnome-do and only restarting x fixes it. am i still runnning beta if all updates applied? it still says (development branch) on my menu.lst could that be the reason for the bugs? haven't booted since release

pi.boy.travis
April 30th, 2009, 03:17 AM
Yep, it has been really buggy for me.

First two times trying to install, it crashed a minute before finishing the install. Third time it installed properly.

I have the shutdown beep bug.

I have no sound. I tried stuff others have suggested, I tried "jaunty proposed" updates, and that didn't work (but it did remove my printer driver...). Soemtimes wehn I star computer sound does work. But then it stops a couple minutes later. Most of the time ubuntu starts muted, and even when unmuted no sound. I tried different alsa/pulseaudio, changed all sound outputs/volumes. No solution. Tried editing config files. This is not acceptable.

Intrepid worked better out of the box than this one.

Looks like I'll be upgrading to 9.10 quickly.

Wow, that is serious. Do you know if there is a bug filed for this? If not, you should really file one. That is unacceptable.

The one bugging me the most is X crashing. I have tried UXA and reverting drivers, but nothing works. I am seriously considering going back to 8.04.

executorvs
April 30th, 2009, 03:26 AM
just noticed many of my videos no longer display proper thumbnails either.. but again if this Alarm-Clock, Aleph one, and Easycam2 not working are my biggest issues I think I'm doing alright.

jimi_hendrix
April 30th, 2009, 03:31 AM
well it was better than ibex for me...kinda

while the animations were smooth, they were delayed...about 1 second from when i would hit maximize or minimize and such

i am now the happy owner of a sabayon install...i cant stand lag

pi.boy.travis
April 30th, 2009, 03:33 AM
Don't get me wrong, I love the new features of 9.04, especially the indicator applet. And the fact that my HP mini 1000 boots in 20 seconds. But some of the regressions are ridiculous.

I'm upgrading to Karmic Alpha 1 as soon as it is released.

picturefreedom
April 30th, 2009, 03:37 AM
Jaunty is Like Fiesty for me in that they are very stable.

andrewabc
April 30th, 2009, 03:39 AM
Wow, that is serious. Do you know if there is a bug filed for this? If not, you should really file one. That is unacceptable.

The one bugging me the most is X crashing. I have tried UXA and reverting drivers, but nothing works. I am seriously considering going back to 8.04.

Yep, bugs are reported for all of them. I even sent in my install crash.
Go to Multimedia & Video (http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=334) support forum, go through first couple pages and how many sound problems do you see?

Another bug that affects me: VLC has two windows. Video does not play in main vlc window, it has it's own separate window. Apparently they don't plan on fixing this, and it is fixed in 1.0 series (not yet officially released), and I dunno if they will send 1.0 to jaunty updates.

lisati
April 30th, 2009, 03:43 AM
I've noticed a couple of bugs and/or "unwanted features", and even ended up reporting one myself. (This relates to woes installing via wubi.)

Keithhed
April 30th, 2009, 03:44 AM
im also having most the issues mr. Pi is having, so i will be looking forward to the next release, will sample karmic and if it works i'll use it and not look back

pi.boy.travis
April 30th, 2009, 03:51 AM
I'm almost thinking that this release should have been delayed. My laptop display won't even turn off if I close the display. I can't use the volume control buttons. I can't use compiz, X crashes, and my video card feels like it is 10 years old. I'm going back to 8.10. . .

pluviosity
April 30th, 2009, 03:54 AM
Jaunty is Like Fiesty for me in that they are very stable.

+1

The past few releases really have been let-downs for me since Feisty, my first Ubuntu release. Especially Hardy, which I skipped because it was didn't work on my laptop. Jaunty is snappy and what I've been waiting for. The only noticeable bug for me is that the HP printer driver is broken, but that was remedied by getting it directly from HP.

scottuss
April 30th, 2009, 03:55 AM
Least buggy Linux distro I've ever used and I've been through a few.

lethalfang
April 30th, 2009, 03:55 AM
I have two issues, neither is important to me:
1) my laptop has trouble restarting after going into suspension or hibernation. I must shut down my laptop.
2) windows resizing has a delay.

Icehuck
April 30th, 2009, 03:56 AM
After I fixed most of my Intel graphic woes, the only problem I have is Firefox's awesome bar not responding when I click on the down arrow. Sometimes it takes 6-7 clicks before it registers that I clicked it.

andrewabc
April 30th, 2009, 04:04 AM
After I fixed most of my Intel graphic woes, the only problem I have is Firefox's awesome bar not responding when I click on the down arrow. Sometimes it takes 6-7 clicks before it registers that I clicked it.

I had a problem in 8.10 that after 6 months of use, it had a lot of information to process for awesome bar and it made firefox slow. The sqlite database was 26mb. If you empty your information, it should work faster.

But I'm assuming you are using fresh jaunty install, so you should not have this problem yet. Unless you upgraded or copy/pasted older firefox profile?

pi.boy.travis
April 30th, 2009, 04:34 AM
I'm reinstalling 8.10 now on my Dell Inspiron 1520. 8.10 worked perfectly on that laptop.

But my HP mini runs 9.04 like a dream!

reprobus
April 30th, 2009, 04:41 AM
Whats this about a shutdown beep bug? Mine makes a beel on shutdown. I thought it was normal?

Icehuck
April 30th, 2009, 04:43 AM
I had a problem in 8.10 that after 6 months of use, it had a lot of information to process for awesome bar and it made firefox slow. The sqlite database was 26mb. If you empty your information, it should work faster.

But I'm assuming you are using fresh jaunty install, so you should not have this problem yet. Unless you upgraded or copy/pasted older firefox profile?

It was definitely a fresh install and I didn't migrate my old profile to my new setup. It probably does it about ever 10 minutes and the arrow icon will depress like it was clicked just nothing happens. I've tried waiting to see if it was just lagging behind but it nothing happens.

I'm honestly starting think it has something to do with X server and Intel, because I noticed when it happens the Xorg process sits at about 20% cpu activity and when it drops to 5% Firefox works.

TheIdiotThatIsMe
April 30th, 2009, 04:48 AM
Mine has been one of the more bug-free experiences, although I'm coming from an install that started on 8.04 (then went to 8.10 then 9.04). Overall the entire release feels very quick and light and stable. The only part I haven't gotten used to is it seems typing in Gnome-Do has a slight delay compared to before, but it may be my imagination.

So we shall see!

JK3mp
April 30th, 2009, 04:51 AM
WEll its good to here you have a good experience on one of your computers. Its pretty much all a hardware guess and go game, lol. I always like to check ahead and google for other people who have my hardware specs etc and see what they have problem wise and if there easily solvable before updating or switching distro's etc.

lisati
April 30th, 2009, 04:54 AM
I'm reinstalling 8.10 now on my Dell Inspiron 1520. 8.10 worked perfectly on that laptop.

I ended up doing that on my laptops, and setting the Xfce display manager as the default on one of them.

OutOfReach
April 30th, 2009, 05:05 AM
Whats this about a shutdown beep bug? Mine makes a beel on shutdown. I thought it was normal?

It IS normal, no bug there.

pi.boy.travis
April 30th, 2009, 05:12 AM

+1
All my desktops, and even my server does that.

speedwell68
April 30th, 2009, 07:17 AM
It has been fine on my netbook, but my desktop and laptop have their fair share of annoying issues. I have sorted most of them but I am seriously considering going back to 8.04 as I need stability and 9.04 isn't that, but then it has never claimed to be.

jespdj
April 30th, 2009, 07:49 AM
Jaunty works very well on my laptop (Dell XPS M1530), I have a few minor issues for which there are workarounds available:

Microphone volume issue (bug #275998) (https://bugs.launchpad.net/fedora/+source/alsa-lib/+bug/275998)

Shutdown problem (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1134201) - the wireless driver needs to be unloaded explicitly, otherwise the laptop doesn't shut down

zmjjmz
April 30th, 2009, 08:03 AM
I only suffer from the intel video issue, which I expect to be fixed in due time.

nerfball
April 30th, 2009, 12:28 PM
Jaunty works very well on my laptop (Dell XPS M1530), I have a few minor issues for which there are workarounds available:

Microphone volume issue (bug #275998) (https://bugs.launchpad.net/fedora/+source/alsa-lib/+bug/275998)

Shutdown problem (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1134201) - the wireless driver needs to be unloaded explicitly, otherwise the laptop doesn't shut down

man, I need to talk to you because I also have an M1530 and I'm not having nearly as good a time with 9.04 as you.

I'm having trouble with wireless network performance, sound card issues, cant get the web cam working, I have a HDTV tuner card that I can't figure out, get error installing program packages... :confused:

I'm new to linux, so maybe that's the core of my troubles, but I was hoping this release would be a little more painless for me to transition too.

coutts99
April 30th, 2009, 12:37 PM
I only suffer from the intel video issue, which I expect to be fixed in due time.

What is that issue?

Jon Bradbury
April 30th, 2009, 01:16 PM
What is that issue?

Look here : http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1130582

Orlsend
April 30th, 2009, 01:20 PM
I have that Intel graphics Bug, which is supposedly going to be fixed with the next kernel. Until then No Compiz or Or 3D acceleration games for me. Apart from that HUGE bug the system seems to be running Ok. I guess time will fix it.

andrewabc
April 30th, 2009, 01:41 PM

How is it normal? What is the purpose of the beep?

Intrepid did not have the beep for me. Why was the beep added when shutting down? I don't think windows or OSX beep when they shutdown.

Shouldn't it just play the shutdown music/sound?

coutts99
April 30th, 2009, 01:42 PM
Look here : http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1130582

Hmm, strange, I've never came across that!

automaton26
April 30th, 2009, 01:55 PM
It's been better than Intrepid for me, so far. It seems like a lot of problems may be hardware related, as usual.

Although, personally, if I can live without the features in a new version, I simply don't upgrade.

CP1256
April 30th, 2009, 02:19 PM
This has been the best release for me so far, even though I had minor problems with Intrepid but I didn't bother solving them.

8.04 and 9.04 have been the best releases for me so far. I still have 8.04 installed on all the other desktop PC's on my network.

Wes7
April 30th, 2009, 02:23 PM
I haven't been getting really big glitches with 9.04 other than some java programs crashing, I'm sure in time those will be fixed.

monkeyKata
April 30th, 2009, 02:40 PM
For those with Intel graphics woes, instead of waiting for the next release/kernel, you can try reverting to an older Intel video driver. I had the same problem and it helped a lot. And if it doesn't do anything or makes it worse, you can easily switch back to what Jaunty defaults with.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ReinhardTartler/X/RevertingIntelDriverTo2.4

Also, adding the greedy migration heuristic to the xorg.conf file ended the choppy background fades and made them rather smooth. In the release notes it says how to do so under the known issues/intel graphics section.

markp1989
April 30th, 2009, 02:42 PM
when instaling on my server, it took 2 attempts to install, the installer refused to install grub. so i started again, and it worked fine.

ukripper
April 30th, 2009, 03:06 PM
Jaunty 64bit is the best release for me so far. Everything is working out of the box!! Brilliant

jordanae
April 30th, 2009, 03:44 PM
I haven't had any bugs with this release. Everything runs great, and everything I hoped would improve did. Hardy was probably the worst for me

andrewabc
April 30th, 2009, 03:45 PM
when instaling on my server, it took 2 attempts to install, the installer refused to install grub. so i started again, and it worked fine.

That's about where it got for me on first 2 attempts. It said ubiquity crashed. So then I'd reboot and grub was messed up (no access to my win partition), so I had to make sure jaunty did install so I would at least have access to windows.

dLeon
April 30th, 2009, 04:04 PM
It still buggy alright. I don't have any hardware issues since Intrepid, luckily. But I found some programs doesn't behave really good or that's new features?

Nevon
April 30th, 2009, 04:31 PM
Jaunty is by far the buggiest version I've ever installed. First off nautilus keeps crashing every now and then, which means I don't get any desktop icons or anything. Secondly, my CPU usage seems to go to 100% on one or both cores every couple of hours.

BrokenKingpin
April 30th, 2009, 04:37 PM
So far so good for me, but I havn't finished setting everything up yet. I did have it hang on startup from a reboot once, so hopefully that does not become a constant problem.

Icehuck
April 30th, 2009, 04:41 PM
Jaunty is by far the buggiest version I've ever installed. First off nautilus keeps crashing every now and then, which means I don't get any desktop icons or anything. Secondly, my CPU usage seems to go to 100% on one or both cores every couple of hours.

When your CPU goes to 100% is the nautilus process at 100%? If so it is probably related to this bug that's been there since breezy.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/nautilus/+bug/27109

MikeTheC
April 30th, 2009, 04:48 PM
Yeah, it's been kind of glitchy for me, too. Crashes occasionally, I've had all the text everywhere on the screen become blurred and completely unreadable, I can't get certain Compiz effects to enable, etc.

Arguably, when I had it on (and moreso with it installed in an EXT4-formatted partition than an EXT3, though not sure why this would be) it certainly booted a lot quicker.

Now, on the other hand...

I'd recently downloaded OpenSuSE 11.1 and while it's had a few glitches, too, on the whole it's been more stable, but you know what I find very interesting? Scribus works a LOT better (the UI is more stable and considerably faster) under SuSE than it ever was under Ubuntu.

So, I think I'll try out SuSE for a while and see what's up with it. But don't worry, folks, I won't leave you all in the lurch without my exciting commentary and bon vivant humor and charm. ;)

FuturePilot
April 30th, 2009, 05:19 PM

+1
All my desktops, and even my server does that.

Indeed it's not really a bug, it's doing what it's being told to do; beep. The problem is though that there's really no point to it. How do I benefit from hearing a loud obnoxious annoying beep when click shutdown? How many other OSes do you know that make a beep on shutdown?

MikeTheC
April 30th, 2009, 05:47 PM
OpenSuSE doesn't do it.

Mac OS X doesn't do it.

Heck, even Windows doesn't do it.

Yeah, I find the shutdown beep kind of stupid, too. And it gets worse in 9.04 because it's a series of beeps.

monkeyKata
April 30th, 2009, 05:58 PM
OpenSuSE doesn't do it.

Mac OS X doesn't do it.

Heck, even Windows doesn't do it.

Yeah, I find the shutdown beep kind of stupid, too. And it gets worse in 9.04 because it's a series of beeps.

And it's quite annoying if you're the last one awake at night, trying to be quiet and not wake up your room-mate, you finish using the computer and 'BEEP!'

Luckily I was able to disable it by blacklisting pcspkr in Intrepid, and after updating to Jaunty it hasn't been re-enabled. I think there are some posts that show how to disable it if you search the forums, something like "disable system beep." However, the process may have changed in Jaunty...?

sanderella
April 30th, 2009, 06:40 PM
It's you.:KS

tjwoosta
April 30th, 2009, 06:41 PM
I can honestly say that every single ubuntu release is always buggy!

As a sort of hobby of mine, i like to install every new release of major distros. Of all the distros i try, i would say that ubuntu releases are almost always the buggiest.

Then again ubuntu is usually easier to install and setup, for a beginner.

If you have the knowledge and ability to read documentation, i reccomend to anyone that they try a few different distros, rather then just sticking with ubuntu forever, as it can sometimes give linux a bad name if you have no other linux experience

If you really like ubuntu, but hate bugs, you could always install LTS releases as they are usually alot more stable

NightwishFan
April 30th, 2009, 06:44 PM
OpenSUSE 11.1 is the buggiest major distro I have tried. Some of the problems are not really bugs and more... Poor setup.

Pulseaudio ALSA wrapper does not work in GNOME, and removing it causes YAST and pretty much every GNOME program to want to uninstall. KDE3 uses Gwenview KDE4, and it cannot view .SVG files. Compiz Fusion will not maximize windows. SimpleCCSM-KDE does not work at all.

Stuff of that sort. Do not get me wrong. OpenSUSE is awesome! Just not 11.1..

Jaunty is a bit twitchy, but it has less bugs than many other distros. If you want stability use Hardy.

pi.boy.travis
April 30th, 2009, 11:32 PM
OpenSUSE 11.1 is the buggiest major distro I have tried. Some of the problems are not really bugs and more... Poor setup.

Pulseaudio ALSA wrapper does not work in GNOME, and removing it causes YAST and pretty much every GNOME program to want to uninstall. KDE3 uses Gwenview KDE4, and it cannot view .SVG files. Compiz Fusion will not maximize windows. SimpleCCSM-KDE does not work at all.

Stuff of that sort. Do not get me wrong. OpenSUSE is awesome! Just not 11.1..

Jaunty is a bit twitchy, but it has less bugs than many other distros. If you want stability use Hardy.

Yeah, OpenSUSE is really cool, but I hate the Yast packaging. 11.1 works flawlessly on my laptop, but I've always been more of a Debian/Ubuntu person.

8.04 was the first release that worked flawlessly on all my computers. No hardware problems, rock solid stability, it was awesome.

7.04 was the buggiest release. I tried everything, but I couldn't get the liveCD to boot on any of my systems. . .

Marlonsm
April 30th, 2009, 11:35 PM
Jaunty is working very well here, I only had a minor bug with compiz here, but now it seems to be fixed.

Techproof
April 30th, 2009, 11:49 PM
Just installed 9.04 on my desktop but I was a bit worried as 8.04 didn't like my wireless dongle or my graphics card and 8.10 didn't like my graphics card at all refusing to believe I had a monitor plugged in!

Can safely say that wireless works fine, The Nvidia gfx drivers are working a treat (which is strange as they appear to be the same ones i tried on the previous distros?) and i have compiz-fusion/emerald running as good as they will go with my 8500 GT.

I found with my problems with the previous versions that forums are a great way to troubleshoot, unfortunately for me I seem to have lost my last login so I have a new one now.

Going back to complaining about 9.04 what everyone above says is true and when i had major issues with a ubuntu version I logged on here and found infinite suggestions from the forum community. Its not fair to gripe about the issues, at the end of the day this OS is great!

yoasif
May 1st, 2009, 12:07 AM
the shutdown beep is going away with an update: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/331589

it's nice that fixes can be done when bugs are reported. :)

Dr.Vista
May 1st, 2009, 12:16 AM
I can't compare this release with other according to bugs because I didn't use them to much but I can tell you that it has better hardware support because it recognized my Wireless and Video cards.

tjwoosta
May 1st, 2009, 12:18 AM
I can't compare this release with other according to bugs because I didn't use them to much but I can tell you that it has better hardware support because it recognized my Wireless and Video cards.

the hardware support is all about the kernel, not the distro

if you have the same kernel in another distro you will get the same hardware support

pi.boy.travis
May 2nd, 2009, 02:20 AM
Dang. I just got my computer up and running with 8.10, and now a fix has been committed for the X intel bug!

Maybe I should just stick with LTS. . .

Icehuck
May 2nd, 2009, 02:21 AM
Dang. I just got my computer up and running with 8.10, and now a fix has been committed for the X intel bug!

Maybe I should just stick with LTS. . .

Was this the same software that was used from the PPA or something completely different?

pi.boy.travis
May 2nd, 2009, 02:25 AM
Was this the same software that was used from the PPA or something completely different?

If I am interpreting the comments correctly, the PPA patch is uploaded into Karmic and is now in Jaunty-proposed.

charlesdean2002
May 2nd, 2009, 02:48 AM
I don't think I have been impacted my this many bugs in one release since 7.04. The only system that is still functioning perfectly is my server!

Have a look at this list. . . (https://bugs.launchpad.net/~pi-boy-travis)

Anyone else find this release really buggy?

Ah well, it just makes me look forward to Karmic.
yes mine went buggs on this one from 8.01 upgrade to 9.04 I lost my desktop and cannot recover it. I don't know where to go to find a bug or report the bug a few forums told me I was in wrong forum. I am using a live cd to come here . Anyonme know how I could revert back to my old os 8.01? It worked fine .

studavis
May 2nd, 2009, 02:57 AM
What I can't understand (as a newbie) is how 8.04 gave me perfect bluetooth support, I could select correct screen resolution, and I could suspend/resume most of the time.

Now with 9.04 - bluetooth mouse drops out after inactivity, have to delete and pair again each restart. I cannot suspend unless I remove my BT SD card and disable Wireless. And I cannot select 1600 resolution on external (I could with 9.04 beta..)

Am I missing something here? I've searched the forums and not come up with solutions so far. Another common problem, I cannot use a .Trash-1000 folder on my NTFS partition yet I can with my fat flash drive. It all makes removing XP a no-no .. pity.

Icehuck
May 2nd, 2009, 03:33 AM
What I can't understand (as a newbie) is how 8.04 gave me perfect bluetooth support, I could select correct screen resolution, and I could suspend/resume most of the time.

Now with 9.04 - bluetooth mouse drops out after inactivity, have to delete and pair again each restart. I cannot suspend unless I remove my BT SD card and disable Wireless. And I cannot select 1600 resolution on external (I could with 9.04 beta..)

Am I missing something here? I've searched the forums and not come up with solutions so far. Another common problem, I cannot use a .Trash-1000 folder on my NTFS partition yet I can with my fat flash drive. It all makes removing XP a no-no .. pity.

You have this issue because they keep pushing down new drivers. If they picked a stable development branch and called it a day you wouldn't have that issue. When it comes to hardware drivers, 6 months development time is not enough. The proof being people have issues where hardware works on 8.04, doesn't work on 8.10, and works again on 9.04.

pi.boy.travis
May 2nd, 2009, 03:34 AM

It all has to do with the kernel. There are regressions sometimes, otherwise software would never advance! That is why releases are supported for 18 months. LTS releases like 8.04 generally tend to be especially stable, but there are exceptions.

At least it isn't as bad as going from XP to Vista. . .

kjkoec
May 2nd, 2009, 03:46 AM
It's a good thing I disabled the system beep before the update =]
For me too, this is the buggiest update I have ever experienced, except for Fedora 10. I did use the upgrade tool, however, which has been known to be problematic.

First off, Pulseaudio:
-Forgets volume setting upon restart and sets it to max upon login
-Mutes both my usb and monitor speakers (I use simultaneous output)
-Occasionally crashes doesn't work untill I logout/login again

Flash:
-Came installed via swfdec (in my opinion a terribly inadequate player)

Logout Buttons:
-Are not on the 'system' menu

And what are the pros of this new distro. anyway? So far I'm not seeing anything major. Don't get me wrong, I love Ubuntu, but I think I may have to roll back to 8.10 one.

pi.boy.travis
May 2nd, 2009, 03:54 AM
It's a good thing I disabled the system beep before the update =]
For me too, this is the buggiest update I have ever experienced, except for Fedora 10. I did use the upgrade tool, however, which has been known to be problematic.

First off, Pulseaudio:
-Forgets volume setting upon restart and sets it to max upon login
-Mutes both my usb and monitor speakers (I use simultaneous output)
-Occasionally crashes doesn't work untill I logout/login again

Flash:
-Came installed via swfdec (in my opinion a terribly inadequate player)

Logout Buttons:
-Are not on the 'system' menu

And what are the pros of this new distro. anyway? So far I'm not seeing anything major. Don't get me wrong, I love Ubuntu, but I think I may have to roll back to 8.10 one.

I just downgraded, and I can surely say that 9.04 is much faster. 9.04 loaded most applications instantly, but with 8.10 Firefox takes 7 seconds to open. . . Then there is boot speed. . .

But stability is more important than speed.

HappyFeet
May 2nd, 2009, 04:59 AM
I've only noticed one bug in glabels, and that will be fixed soon. But other than that, it's been a real pleasure to use. I'm officially spoiled now. :)

johnnyxxxcakes
May 2nd, 2009, 05:04 AM
Sadly enough, it has been buggy for me as well. My Intel 950M graphics chipset is blacklisted so I can't get the beautiful compiz effects to work by default. The new versions of GNOME used in Intrepid and Jaunty have been running slow for me too, so I guess from other user's experiences, they've decided to blacklist this card or something.

I also noticed how the install didn't come up the first time I double-clicked the icon on the desktop, and after it finally came up, the progress bar was stuck on 5% for quite a while (about 5 minutes).

With the past two releases (Intrepid and Jaunty), I've always found myself going back to Hardy. I'm glad they'll be supporting it for a while.

wolfgar
May 2nd, 2009, 05:15 AM
So far so good. No major issues for me.

nathang1392
May 2nd, 2009, 05:17 AM
its all good in the neighborhood for me. jaunty = best ubuntu ever!

crl0901
May 2nd, 2009, 05:19 AM
Haven't had any bugginess here.

turned2black
May 2nd, 2009, 05:50 AM
It's been an absolute pleasure on my eee. My older Dell desktop (my daughter's computer) had major package errors that I'm not sure was a glitch or caused by my 2-year-old son. He is fascinated by computers and enjoys turning them off and on, especially during synaptic updates. My main desktop has been error free and ridiculously fast. I just upgraded my main laptop this morning, but noticed no glitches. I did notice that Firefox was faster.

visionaire
May 2nd, 2009, 06:41 AM
I have intel, so, went back down to Hardy, i probably i'll upgrade LTS ones only now

Hardy works great, in jaunty was impossible to whatch almost any video format, and in intrepid, the same annoying problem, but lighter

I think is the new Xorg the problem, cause also have the same in Opensuse 11.1, not so in 11.0

EDIT: Other than the intel and video eating 100% cpu issues, it was really nice and smooth, i definitely would use it right now, but i love watch movies in my pc, so, i changed back =(

inobe
May 2nd, 2009, 07:06 AM
i can name a few distros that are buggy enough to avoid, jaunty wasn't one of them.

Ralphie
May 2nd, 2009, 07:12 AM
It's been better than 8.04, thats for sure. My only major issue so far being burning an iso. Still looking into this problem though.

tjwoosta
May 2nd, 2009, 07:20 AM
Sadly enough, it has been buggy for me as well. My Intel 950M graphics chipset is blacklisted so I can't get the beautiful compiz effects to work by default. The new versions of GNOME used in Intrepid and Jaunty have been running slow for me too, so I guess from other user's experiences, they've decided to blacklist this card or something.

I also noticed how the install didn't come up the first time I double-clicked the icon on the desktop, and after it finally came up, the progress bar was stuck on 5% for quite a while (about 5 minutes).

With the past two releases (Intrepid and Jaunty), I've always found myself going back to Hardy. I'm glad they'll be supporting it for a while.

The main reason the new intel driver is blacklisted from compiz now is because the drivers peformance has regressed. Previous versions of the intel driver provided a much higher framerate with more stable 3d support.

Some time ago intel released a bunch of new information about how the intel cards work and ever since linux devs have been working hard to incorperate this new information (GEM and UXA)

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NjQ3Ng

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=intel_uxa&num=1

When the drivers are finished they will be much much better then the old ones were, but for the time being we are dealing with regression.

I know in arch its easy to downgrade the driver to the older, more stable, version while keeping the new xorg-server, but im not so sure how easy it is in ubuntu, if its even possable at all

Orlsend
May 2nd, 2009, 07:52 AM
I hope this gets fixed quickly as they promised, most of my friends have netbooks or laptops with Intel graphics, they want all the Compiz effects sadly I told them we have too wait. :(

legatoloco
May 18th, 2009, 10:38 PM
i would say that 9.04 is THE worst ubuntu upgrade i ever did.
-nmapplet used to support (partially support) pppoe, now entries don't appear
-got a kernel panic on first startup
-sound always starts muted
-xine always starts muted
-vlc doesn't appear in the list of packages anymore and it was removed from my install. synaptic shows vlc without a version and "suggest" that maybe it was replaced by another vlc
-not a bug, but merging the evolution notifications with pidgin's is hell because everytime the "letter" icon has a "star" you have to check your email, only to know that one of your contacts logged in
-switching the wireless on doesn't bring the interface up, i have to "ifconfig wlan0 up" before i can connect to anything
-movie player (totem) now jerks every ten seconds, and then crashes
-lost sound in flash, installed the extra with-sound package, having now sound work in galeon but not in seamonkey, and only in one tab at a time (can't load two youtube links in two tabs)
-if i pause a dvd in xine, sound is lost on resume and cannot be recovered
-cpu freq control doesn't work out of the box anymore

the list is long and keeps growing.

l-x-l
May 19th, 2009, 01:24 AM
This is my 2nd version of Ubuntu. First was 8.10 (via Wubi) which I played with for about 3 weeks before Jaunty came out. 8.10 was great & had no issues. So when Jaunty came out I jumped on the chance to dual-boot. While Jaunty is definitely quicker, bugs have crept into my life. The most irritating of which is with sound. Everytime I log-off & log back on my sound doesn't work. I have to kill pulseaudio & start it again to get it to work. Also... my wireless disconnects randomly. Otherwise, It's all good. :rolleyes:

dragos240
May 19th, 2009, 01:30 AM
So far for me it's been the least buggy Ubuntu i've ever tried! It's so snappy!

Intrepid was probably the most problematic for me.

I know there are lots os issues for people using Intel atm, so i guess i'm lucky i'm an AMD/Nvidia person.

Intrepid worked better than jaunty for me, but its working fine now, hardy, now THAT was a problem, it was a pain in the (insert job of mark shuttleworth)

pi.boy.travis
May 19th, 2009, 01:36 AM
Mine has been a lot better with the proposed updates, and nothing else has broken since. I can use Compiz again, and my graphics performance is better than Intrepid. I have worked around my mp3 player not mounting, but Pidgin notification sounds are still broken. . .

tjwoosta
May 19th, 2009, 02:01 AM
Why can't we have releases that just work for everybody? Every single release a handfull of people have issues, gradually the problems get fixed and everything starts to work for everyone. Then the new releases comes and a whole new set of problems arise where previously there were no problems and often for a new handfull of people. Why?

Can't we learn from previous releases and create new releases void of issues where everything was fine before? Sometimes I feel the devs are purposely changing/breaking things just to screw with us.

pi.boy.travis
May 19th, 2009, 02:06 AM
Why can't we have releases that just work for everybody? Every single release a handfull of people have issues, gradually the problems get fixed and everything starts to work for everyone. Then the new releases comes and a whole new set of problems arise where previously there were no problems and often for a new handfull of people. Why?

Can't we learn from previous releases and create new releases void of issues where everything was fine before? Sometimes I feel the devs are purposely changing/breaking things just to screw with us.

The way I see it there are only two ways to make a release that works for everyone.

-Have an extremely long release cycle

-Not change anything

Free software is always evolving and advancing, and things will break along the way. If they didn't we would never learn anything new. I have learned a ton about how X works by trying to fix my driver.