PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Creating a system disc.

HBBFrum
April 30th, 2009, 02:34 AM
I happened to have a few 8 Gig, dual layer discs laying around, and the idea came to mind. "Hey, I wander if I could install an uncompressed operating system on one of these bad boys." Initially I was just going to make a live CD out of them, due to their extra storage ability, but that idea went to flop when my Mac, which is the system I use to write any Live CD's I use, wouldn't recognize the disk, unless it was already written.

My second problem, is my lack of knowledge as to *if* I can install Ubuntu on a DVD, and not just create a live CD out of it.

Now, I am presented with two problems. The second being that I can not find a live CD making utility that will run on Vista for me. The recommended ones always seem to result in an error when writing the disc. So, if someone would be so kind as to supply me with one, I would be very happy, and the Mac is getting a bit outdated, and the Ubuntu installation on it wont recognize the disc either.

My second problem, is my lack of knowledge as to *if* I can install Ubuntu on a DVD, and not just create a live CD out of it.

Thank you. I would also like to say sorry, if I happened to have posted this in an incorrect section.

fdrake
April 30th, 2009, 02:39 AM
i ma not too sure of what you are trying to do?

first question :do you want to make your dvd a live cd? or you want to install the os ubuntu on the dvd instead of the hard disk?

secon q.: you are saying that your mac can read dual layer dvd but not write them? can your vista computer write on dual-layer-dvd?

HBBFrum
April 30th, 2009, 02:45 AM
i ma not too sure of what you are trying to do?

first question :do you want to make your dvd a live cd? or you want to install the os ubuntu on the dvd instead of the hard disk?

secon q.: you are saying that your mac can read dual layer dvd but not write them? can your vista computer write on dual-layer-dvd?

I want to perform a complete install of Ubuntu on a DVD and not on a computer Hard Disk.

My mac can read them, when there is information on them, even if that information is taking up both layers, but not recognize a blank one, it will just eject it.

My PC can read and write all DVD formats, including Blu-Ray, which means the only thing keeping me actually making a live CD on it is the lack of control of the burn speed.

fdrake
April 30th, 2009, 03:00 AM
I want to perform a complete install of Ubuntu on a DVD and not on a computer Hard Disk.
you cannot install a os system on a cd because it needs space where to run and save temporary and permanent files. you could do this on a usb drive with enught memory space.
A live cd is an operating system that uses your ram for temporary files. if u install during the use of the live-dvd NTFS-configuration-tools you can save permanently files on some partition of your hard disk.

My mac can read them, when there is information on them, even if that information is taking up both layers, but not recognize a blank one, it will just eject it.
so you can boot an ubuntu-live-dvd on your mac. that's fine

My PC can read and write all DVD formats, including Blu-Ray, which means the only thing keeping me actually making a live CD on it is the lack of control of the burn speed.
try this (http://isorecorder.alexfeinman.com/Vista.htm) to burn the live-cd image onto a dvd disk

HBBFrum
April 30th, 2009, 03:04 AM
Well, thats unfortunate. Thank you for your help, though.

Also, that Live CD creator is the one I have tried, and it has always failed to actually burn the CD, it will get clear to the point and come up with one of the longest error codes possible.

fdrake
April 30th, 2009, 03:10 AM
Well, thats unfortunate. Thank you for your help, though.

Also, that Live CD creator is the one I have tried, and it has always failed to actually burn the CD, it will get clear to the point and come up with one of the longest error codes possible.
why don't you try to mount the ubuntu iso on your desktop (here is how (http://www.disk-tools.com/download/daemon)) without actually burning the dvd

to achive 2 things:
1. to ensure that the iso is error-free
2. to install the ubuntu saftware on windoes desktop *** an application and use the ubuntu application to burne the iso image on the dvd?