PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Hardware for home server

napi
April 30th, 2009, 01:52 AM
Hello all,

I've saved up a bit of money and have decided to get on and sort out a (headless) home server.

I have a few old bits of machines lying around and could put something together but, as this will be used for work as well, wouldn't mind investing in some new hardware, set up in a good fashion (RAID perhaps? Still looking into hdd options)

Budget is ~300GBP. I'd be happy buying a prebuilt package (Dell, HP and a few other companies do a wide range) but would prefer to put the thing together myself.

Only actual requirements other than cost is I want a setup with 4 hdd's - 1 for work, 1 for personal, and a backup for both of those. Given money limits, might have to get the other 2 disks later on.

Any advice/thoughts on this would be much appreciated.

ToneDispenser
May 3rd, 2009, 12:36 PM
I'm also very interested in this. I'd like to set up a small file server for home use with a RAID 1 hardware controller.

I got a 450MHz 370MB RAM machine lying around. would this be enough for hardware controlled RAID 1, routing and print server? (NOTE: This system won't be under a lot of stress, I just want to share available resources.)

Thx for hints and experiences....