PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Black after 9.04 Upgrade

nashikens
April 30th, 2009, 12:58 AM
After arguing with the 8.10 to 9.04 upgrade I thought I'd finally won. Here's a thread to the problem originally:http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1142347
Finally I got 9.04 installed and it seemed fine. I shut off the machine and went to bed. This morning, after the Ubuntu screen with progress bar, the screen goes black/blank. When I installed 8.10 from a CD I had to remove compiz to fix this problem. Now I'm not sure what the problem is.

eluminx
April 30th, 2009, 02:03 AM
i had something very similar. Quick question does your box even load the logon screen? If it does and you get the black screen after that, try removing nvidia-common and see if that works. If you can't even reach the logon screen then i don't know what the problem might be. Sorry i could not be of any more help, hopefully you can fix the problem tho.

nashikens
April 30th, 2009, 02:08 AM
It doesn't reach the login screen, just past the "splash" screen then flashes (the monitor) from off to on but black, like that a couple times, then off... and nothing. Before the upgrade, occasionally it would go black but you could hear the sound of the login screen, and you could login if you wanted, but the screen was black. It doesn't do that now.

emarkay
April 30th, 2009, 02:27 AM
Need info - what type of graphics card - what type of PC?

nashikens
April 30th, 2009, 02:31 AM
Intel 845GL in a Dell Inspiron 1100.
It has to be something in the upgrade, it worked in 8.10