PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Trackpoint sensitivity in Ubuntu 9.04

lukas.mach
April 29th, 2009, 11:55 PM
Hi,

I've been using Ubuntu 8.10 for some time now. When I installed 9.04, I noticed that trackpoint on my notebook/tablet is moving very slowly. The mouse settings (in System > Preferences) are not affecting the sensitivity of the trackpoint (I have both on maximum and it still moves extremely slowly).

Does anybody know how to change the sensitivity? My notebook is HP 2730p. I tried configure-trackpoint package, but it says that trackpoint is not detected.

Chubbafied
May 12th, 2009, 01:50 AM
I too have this exact same problem. I've installed on a ibm x41 tablet.

I'm new to linux and most of the stuff i read says to edit information in the xorg.conf file pertaining to "Configured Mouse". The problem is with the new build there is no mouse section.

I've tried copy pasting other xorg.conf files and even dabbling in writing in some sections on my own, but that has only resulted in crashes or no change at all.

Any one with a solution?

The search continues for me...

rainwalker
May 12th, 2009, 03:25 AM
Have you tried adjusting the acceleration rather than sensitivity?

AncientPC
May 12th, 2009, 03:32 AM
I too have this exact same problem. I've installed on a ibm x41 tablet.

I'm new to linux and most of the stuff i read says to edit information in the xorg.conf file pertaining to "Configured Mouse". The problem is with the new build there is no mouse section.

I've tried copy pasting other xorg.conf files and even dabbling in writing in some sections on my own, but that has only resulted in crashes or no change at all.

Any one with a solution?

The search continues for me...
configure-trackpoint (http://tpctl.sourceforge.net/configure-trackpoint.html) doesn't work for lukas.much, but have you tried it?

You might also try: http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/How_to_configure_the_TrackPoint

Chubbafied
May 12th, 2009, 06:33 AM
Ah the thinkwiki is such an incredible resource! It WORKS!!

I initially tried running the
"echo -n 160 > /sys/devices/platformi8042/serio1/serio2/speed"
command, but encountered 2 hurdles: 1) The location of the "speed" file was different on my computer. Simple fix, just find the file and correct the command. and... 2) I had problems with the terminal telling me i didn't have access. This was solved by entering "sudo su" in the terminal to get into root mode, and after entering the commands the sensitivity was immediately noticable.

In order to have the changes work after a suspend/resume/restart i edited the etc/rc.local file with the added sensitivity commands (in root mode).

This Linux stuff is crazy bewildering, but the feeling of accomplishment reminds me of the ol' days coding stuff for my computer science class in fortran and C+.

undoIT
April 14th, 2010, 11:16 PM
Ah the thinkwiki is such an incredible resource! It WORKS!!

I initially tried running the
"echo -n 160 > /sys/devices/platformi8042/serio1/serio2/speed"
command, but encountered 2 hurdles: 1) The location of the "speed" file was different on my computer. Simple fix, just find the file and correct the command. and... 2) I had problems with the terminal telling me i didn't have access. This was solved by entering "sudo su" in the terminal to get into root mode, and after entering the commands the sensitivity was immediately noticable.

In order to have the changes work after a suspend/resume/restart i edited the etc/rc.local file with the added sensitivity commands (in root mode).

This Linux stuff is crazy bewildering, but the feeling of accomplishment reminds me of the ol' days coding stuff for my computer science class in fortran and C+.

Hi. I was able to get the settings adjusted for the current session using sudo su and then issuing the commands.

However, the settings do not stick after adding the commands to the rc.local file.

I added the following to rc.local:

echo -n 250 > /sys/devices/platform/i8042/serio1/serio2/speed
echo -n 250 > /sys/devices/platform/i8042/serio1/serio2/sensitivity

Any ideas how to get the settings to stick for Ubuntu Lucid?

pgriffiths
May 27th, 2010, 01:31 AM
You can add a WAIT_FOR condition in /etc/udev/rules.d/trackpoint.rules. See http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=9365735