PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Wubi doesn't work, folder "too small"

Darvon
April 29th, 2009, 08:49 PM
Hi!
I try to install 9.04 with Wubi, and it's always the same: The "Ubuntu" folder in Windows (drive C:) is only 711 Mb. 698 of that are an image file of the CD. When I boot my notebbok, how surprising, I can't chose between windows and buntu.
I tried to install it from CD; from a virtual drive; With an image file placed in C: and without; downloaded wubi.exe and placed it in C: - it's all the same.
I'd like to install with wubi, because I don't feel like to mess around with my windows partition.

greets
Darvon

CMJ Tech
April 29th, 2009, 09:56 PM
How big is your hard drive?
I do believe that the minimum requirements for wubi are as following:
256 MB memory

Harddisk Space 5 GB harddisk space

Operating System: Windows 98, 2000, XP, Vista

Darvon
April 29th, 2009, 10:19 PM
Well, my hard drive is 90something GB big, and I have 17 GB of free disk space at the moment; I chose to install a "10 GB Ubuntu".
I have 896 MB RAM.
That should be enough, I guess

CMJ Tech
April 29th, 2009, 10:32 PM
This may be a long shot, but I would try to defrag the hard drive in windows if you have not already done so. Then try to reinstall wubi again. You may have 17GB of free space but it may be fragmented over the entire hard drive because of how windows writes data to the disk.

pparks1
April 29th, 2009, 10:36 PM
Are you getting an error message when you run wubi.exe from the CD? I've installed using Wubi quite a few times and it's worked out well for me.

Darvon
April 29th, 2009, 10:50 PM
I've done two defrags before installation, and no, no error messages. After the installation I can even uninstall Ubuntu under windows.
But now I've got an idea: perhaps it helps to download the 8.10 version; if the installation works, I can still upgrade to 9.04.
Thanks for the help though, I'll let you know how it worked :)

Darvon
May 1st, 2009, 12:01 AM
It worked, was quite long, but in the end, it worked; I don't know what Wubi's problem is, but the version on 8.10 seems to be fine

Darvon

CMJ Tech
May 1st, 2009, 02:18 AM
It worked,

Darvon

That's great to hear! :) I had similar problem installing ubuntu on my system. I started with 8.10 but had problems, tried to upgrade to 9.04 and the system would not boot. I had an old 7.10 live cd and tried it and it worked.
But I did learn a few things during my journey. I have 8.04LTS installed now.