PDA

View Full Version : I've got a lovely new Ubuntu PC...

lordyosch
April 29th, 2009, 08:48 PM
I decided recently it was time for an upgrade. The old box was getting on a bit so off I went a-googling.

Came across efficientpc.co.uk who sell pre-installed Ubuntu (and other distros) PC's. Splendid I thought and had a nosey at their range.

There was one which took my eye, the ISIS at £350. Reasonable I thought, then I up-specced it. A bit.

Went Quad-core, added a HDD that the Starship enterprise might envy and a lovely flat-screen monitor to replace my (trusty, reliable) old CRT.

Card number in, order sent.

Excited days waiting, few emails with retailer and one day I came home to a selection of cardboard boxes on my kitchen floor.

Oh happy day! thought I and immediately rushed upstairs to get set up.

Boots quickly, does everything it should, looks cool. Monitor fantastic (and huge)

I've hardly seen my wife since it arrived! Here I am, up in my study telling you how much I'm enjoying myself sat typing this!

If linux reawakened my enjoyment of computing this new toy has turning it up another notch! -even sat working seems less awful than it used to!

A convenient side-effect of all this is the old PC sat on the floor behind me. Experiment in safety, try out new things, and fiddle with code.

Happy days of a re-born geek!

Jay:KS

lisati
April 29th, 2009, 08:50 PM
Welcome to the team!
I hope your experience of Ubuntu on your new machine is a positive one. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

b@sh_n3rd
April 29th, 2009, 09:21 PM
cool..
...I've hardly seen my wife since it arrived!... :lolflag: :lolflag:

And Welcome To The Community! :D

garythegoth
April 29th, 2009, 09:27 PM
Ok, but dont ignore your wife for a piece of metal and silicone.

0per4t0r
April 29th, 2009, 09:30 PM
system76 has some nice Ubuntu PCs.

Colin@oxford
June 26th, 2009, 12:51 PM
Well I hope that your experience is better than mine with this PC. I have had one disk failure (replacement from EfficientPC took a month) and now the motherboard appears to have failed (has been doing slowly for the past 6 months). Dale (the owner and sole employee) has been noticeable by his silence. He had a Launchpad account until this morning, when he appears to have removed it because he was getting too many negative comments (I assume).

His attitude does not do Ubuntu, Linux in general, nor Asus any favours.

mr-woof
June 26th, 2009, 06:29 PM
What's the spec of the old machine? You could turn it into a Linux firewall, I've just stuck smoothwall on an old p3 800 with 512mb ram working great :)