PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Uh -Oh Install problem, need help

gordoha
April 29th, 2009, 06:17 PM
Having been given a computer with Vista on it (the biggest POS ever) I decided to totally make the switch to Ubuntu.

So, I went and installed it (with a partition) and made the big mistake of apparently not remembering the username and password that I set it up with. Uh-Oh.

So I want to put the CD back in to reinstall, but, I can't get the computer to boot from the CD. It goes straight to the page where I choose to boot Ubuntu or Vista.

Can anyone help me here?

On another note, assuming I can reinstall, what do I do to overwrite the old Ubuntu, as I obviously don't want three partitions.

Thanks!

psmar
April 29th, 2009, 06:58 PM
have you checked your bios to make sure that the cd is first on your boot choices ( hit del during startup)

as to the over write , there should be an option to use the whole disk for ubuntu ( you can shrink it later with gparted if needed)

ajgreeny
April 29th, 2009, 07:21 PM
Or if you prefer you can just keep the install you have already and reset the password with recovery mode from the grub menu. Have a look here.
http://www.ubuntugeek.com/howtorecover-your-username-and-passwordfix-grub-21-error-in-ubuntu.html