PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] Gtk icons for Fluxbox?

pw_f100_220
April 29th, 2009, 05:53 PM
Hey, while in Fluxbox, my gnome applications look amazingly better in Jaunty than they did in Intrepid. However, I was wondering if it was possible to choose the icon scheme Fluxbox uses. I have a custom scheme installed in Gnome that looks great, but I don't know how to enable it in Fluxbox.

Any ideas? this is Flux's big visual flaw...on my system. Is it possible to fix?

kerry_s
April 29th, 2009, 07:10 PM
install lxappearance to customize the appearance of gtk2 programs.

sudo apt-get install lxappearance

pw_f100_220
April 29th, 2009, 07:24 PM
i tried lxappearance and it worked for window themes but the icons wouldn't change. not even in the preveiw. the icon sets i installed were listed, but nothing happened

kerry_s
April 29th, 2009, 11:36 PM
can you do a pic for me, i'm not sure what icons your talking about?

i'm going to assume you still have gnome, so i'll give the command for that.
in fluxbox, in terminal:

gnome-panel-screenshot

or for delay, so you can open a menu or what ever:
gnome-panel-screenshot --delay 5

i'm going to assume you already know how to use gimp or what ever paint program you use.

i use mtpaint, Example:

pw_f100_220
April 30th, 2009, 12:03 AM
Here is Fluxbox. lxappearance is opened with black-white_2-Style icons highlighted, not showing anything in the preview...and of course nothing happens when I apply.

And Gnome with that icon theme selected. Nautilus gives the best example, but gedit also shows it.

kerry_s
April 30th, 2009, 01:13 AM
alright try this:

first delete the ~/.gtkrc-2.0 that lxappearance created. in fact you can get rid of lxappearance, since you have gnome will use the gnome parts.

now in terminal:
gnome-settings-daemon &

if it works add it to your ~/.fluxbox/startup
hopefully you should get exactly what you have in gnome because you'll be using the gnome mechanism.

pw_f100_220
April 30th, 2009, 04:10 AM
worked like a charm! will gnome-settings-daemon affect fluxbox in any other ways that i'll probably discover later?

thanks!

kerry_s
April 30th, 2009, 04:20 AM
worked like a charm! will gnome-settings-daemon affect fluxbox in any other ways that i'll probably discover later?

thanks!

nah, it's just a extra process. from your screenshot i don't think your really concerned with low resource, so you'll be fine.
i only have 450mhz 256mb ram, for me every bit counts, i'd rather run ugly then have a extra process. :lolflag:

pw_f100_220
April 30th, 2009, 07:39 PM
yeah, i like to keep it as shiny as possible while still being able to consider my system overkill...minimalistic and efficient...but still shiny

pw_f100_220
April 30th, 2009, 08:59 PM
one more question: do I have to go into gnome to change the icons?

kerry_s
April 30th, 2009, 09:43 PM
one more question: do I have to go into gnome to change the icons?

nope, you can just call up the program. in fact i think gnome still has the control center which you can use in fluxbox.
in a terminal or alt+f2:
gnome-control-center

if it works you can just add it to your fluxbox menu.

pw_f100_220
April 30th, 2009, 10:08 PM
sweet, works great. i kinda feel bad since i'm practically using gnome. i just like the functions of fluxbox, especially keybindings and style customization.

thanks!

kerry_s
May 1st, 2009, 10:08 AM
no big, it's linux, use what you like. i mix programs all the time, i have both gnome and xfce4 programs on my jwm setup, i try and stay away from the kde stuff though. :lolflag:

Anzan
May 1st, 2009, 04:15 PM
gtkchtheme is good to have as well.