PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Install Ubuntu 9.04 over 8.10

JohnPta
April 29th, 2009, 05:52 PM
For one or other reason can I not UPGRADE from "8.10" to "9.04" and nobody in the forums/fora is able to help me.
Now the question is: When I download version 9.04 and install it over 8.04 will I be able to keep the settings from 8.10 and e.g. documents/spreadsheets??
I hope somebody can help me with this question.

zacattack145
April 29th, 2009, 06:00 PM
i recently asked the same question and the response i got is that IF you have a home folder, then only format the root folder and not the home folder. (I actually haven't tried it yet.) =D

btunell
April 29th, 2009, 06:04 PM
Check out this link, maybe it'll help?

http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/upgrading

Also, check out the Release Notes:

http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/releasenotes/904

kpkeerthi
April 29th, 2009, 06:06 PM
For one or other reason can I not UPGRADE from "8.10" to "9.04" and nobody in the forums/fora is able to help me.
Now the question is: When I download version 9.04 and install it over 8.04 will I be able to keep the settings from 8.10 and e.g. documents/spreadsheets??
I hope somebody can help me with this question.

You are installing it over, so things get overwritten. Back up your data (not programs and apps) and copy them over to the new install.

umuro
April 29th, 2009, 06:12 PM
When I cannot upgrade, I just install a fresh ubuntu.
a) You can copy back your home folder from your backup
b) Better if you have a separate home partition, you just leave it unformatted during installation.

If (a) applies and you don't have a backup of home then time do buy an external hard disk.

freshtolinux
April 29th, 2009, 06:48 PM
I'm new to linux and I did the upgrade last week and I could see my files in my folder. The problem was after the upgrade ubuntu did not start normally and it will take me to DOS (haven't learned it's name in Linux yet) version login and using dir command I could see all my files.
I have been running ubuntu in virtualBox for about a month now on Windows XP.

First week after installing ubuntu 8.10, I could not get evolution mail to sync with my corporate email through mail exchange, I was able to get it to sync and used it for a week before it stopped syncing in week three. Last week which was week four, I got the evolution mail to work again and I got the update ready message (for 9.04) on the same day so I decided to upgrade and it did not want to start normally saying the graphics/resolution is low and I should change the settings, but it did not recognize me as admin so I could change the settings.

I stopped using ubuntu for a couple of days and I had time yesterday so I dedicated the whole day to make sure it works. I re-installed 8.10, loosing all my files (I had copies on windows xp), then upgraded to 9.04, set my evolution mail and things are great!!

My machine specs in a nut shell: I assigned 12.5GB to virtualBox, installed ubuntu on 10GB (expanding option) and 12MB of graphics card.

My goal is to stop using windows, if evolution can work continuously; other applications seem to be great so I have no worries there.

Go Ubuntu!!

oldos2er
April 29th, 2009, 08:32 PM
"You are installing it over, so things get overwritten."

Unless you have /home on a separate partition.

JohnPta
April 29th, 2009, 08:48 PM
Check out this link, maybe it'll help?

http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/upgrading

Also, check out the Release Notes:

http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/releasenotes/904

Thanks, when everything else fails read the manual. :-)
I was able to upgrade from "8.10" to "9.04" after reading the documentation you advised.

JohnPta
April 29th, 2009, 08:54 PM
"You are installing it over, so things get overwritten."

Unless you have /home on a separate partition.

I understand that is where it boils down to, to make a separate partition for the home directory. I have a 80 Gb HD, How would you advice me to split it up? 75% for the home directory and 25% for the rest ! ?