PDA

View Full Version : Fedora 11 Preview

NightwishFan
April 29th, 2009, 04:59 PM
I have been using Fedora on and off over the least couple releases, and I always found it to be excellent, but not for me.

Now that I am far more experienced, I tried the new Fedora 11 Preview Release (10.92). This is not a review. I am just wondering if anyone else has tried it, and their experiences.

As for me, the new open source Nouveau Nvidia driver, is installed by default, and finally my system has a usable screen refresh rate, and no spidery fonts and blurry images. It is a great improvement since I do not need 3d acceleration often. The project is expected to have 3d acceleration soon as well though, which will finally make my kernel completely open source.

As for performance, it passed my unscientific benchmarks with slightly more speed than Ubuntu 9.04, though not enough to make note of, they seem to be on par. It boots about as fast, though slightly slower. The live cd installation was MUCH faster though.

The artwork of the new release is more subtle than the last one, and not as flashy. The solar look of F10 was unprecedented.

With it's focus on security still high, I am going to give Fedora a try.

Any opinions?

Dragonbite
April 29th, 2009, 06:30 PM
My hard drive is slated for demo-work with developing a home Ubuntu server at the computer club for the next few months so I'm interested in other people's opinions but I probably won't be free to fool around with it until October (Fedora 12? are they going to try Fedora 13?!)