PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Dual boot w/ 9.04 and XP Pro

manqueller
April 29th, 2009, 04:37 PM
Hello,

I have 1 laptop that was running 8.04 and I successfully up-graded it to 9.04 with no problems. However I have another laptop that is running XP Pro and I want to install 9.04 and set it up as a dual boot. Right now this system has 1 hard drive with 1 NTFS partition for XP Pro.

I've downloaded 9.04, burned to CD and when I boot to the CD the install looks ok until I get to the partition manager. At that point I tell it I want to have the choice of OS at boot up, and the partition manager shows me 1 small fat32 partition, a large NTFS partition for XP, and a partition for Ubuntu at the end. I accept these default settings and go to the next step, and then it gives me an error and says I must go back to the partition manager. Then I'm stuck in this loop. I've tried the install on other machines where I just give Ubuntu the entire drive and it works fine. I'm not sure why the partition manger is giving me problems now. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Brian

manqueller
April 29th, 2009, 05:15 PM
I found this post:

http://bit.ly/gxT4w

I'm going to try that, but beyond this work around, why doesn't the partition manager let me do this manually without using a third system like partition magic?