PDA

View Full Version : FireFox 3.5 beta 4 rocks!!!

wildman4god
April 29th, 2009, 04:34 PM
I have been using the new beta of firefox 3.5 and although its only been a day, i must say it is alot faster than the 3.x series and its only beta 4, i can't wait to see what the final release is like, also it seems very stable no crashes or hang ups, it also starts up quicker than before, with in 2 secs or less. has anyone else tried it, also I have only used it in windows, I can't use Linux at the school I live at. :(

Polygon
April 29th, 2009, 08:28 PM
the only annoying thing is that a few of my extensions have not updated to support firefox 3 yet.

Giant Speck
April 29th, 2009, 08:30 PM
the only annoying thing is that a few of my extensions have not updated to support firefox 3 yet.

Try the "Nightly Tester Tools" add-on: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/6543

When you restart Firefox, go into Add-ons and click on "Override all compatibility" and it will force install all of your add-ons.

Sand & Mercury
April 29th, 2009, 08:31 PM
Gave it a spin for 5 minutes and it looks good. Didn't tinker enough to care for using it regularly, 3.0.10 is fine for me to use till 3.5 comes out.

Daisuke_Aramaki
April 29th, 2009, 08:43 PM
will build 3.0.10 over the weekend. will take nearly three and a half hours. firefox 3.0.9 is already pretty fast for me, with pgo.

sports fan Matt
April 29th, 2009, 09:27 PM
I notice in Shiretoko with nightly tester tools added, the address of the webpage doesnt view in the address bar

0per4t0r
April 29th, 2009, 09:45 PM
it also starts up quicker than before, with in 2 secs or less. has anyone else tried it, also I have only used it in windows, I can't use Linux at the school I live at. :(
Great! Firefox is the best browser ever, except it needs to be faster.
And, you could try using a liveCD to use linux at school.

lvleph
April 29th, 2009, 09:48 PM
If only I could get it to start. i always get a segfault, even after disabling all addons. I am having the same problem with 3.6 and songbird.

Sunflower1970
April 29th, 2009, 09:51 PM
Been using Shiretoko (3.5 beta 5pre) nightly, and love it.
Also been trying Minefield (3.6 alpha) nightly, and it's even a bit faster than Shiretoko.

Come to think of it, I don't think I've used the non alpha or beta version of Firefox for quite some time...

Giant Speck
April 29th, 2009, 09:51 PM
Does anyone know where I can find an .exe for Firefox 3.5b4?

EDIT: Nevermind, I found it at FileHippo. I love FileHippo. :)

sports fan Matt
April 29th, 2009, 09:54 PM
Edit: even with tester tools disabled..no addresses in address bar when you select a boookmark

billgoldberg
April 29th, 2009, 09:59 PM
Edit: even with tester tools disabled..no addresses in address bar when you select a boookmark

Create a bug report.

sports fan Matt
April 29th, 2009, 10:07 PM
it would be the 1st one...and since I dont know where to, could you show me?

dannysanchez7924
April 29th, 2009, 10:09 PM
firefox 3.5 rocks :P :guitar:

mister_k81
April 30th, 2009, 12:20 AM
Personally, I'm quite happy with the performance of FF 3.0.10 and I think I'll just wait for the final release of 3.5, instead of jumping over to the beta. I've already noticed some nice improvements with 3.0.9, pages tend to scroll a lot smoother and overall it seems to use a lot less ram than 3.0.8 and earlier versions.

hanzomon4
April 30th, 2009, 12:37 AM
Mine segfaults

wispygalaxy
April 30th, 2009, 02:27 AM
I was at the computer lab today in my library, and almost everyone around me was using Firefox. This is a big change from last year, when I'd see one or two people at the lab use Firefox. The Firefox icon is on the desktop, so it's easy to see it.

andrewabc
April 30th, 2009, 03:30 AM

You mean 3.5?

If an extension doesn't support firefox 3, then it must not have been updated in a year. Abandoned?

myusername
April 30th, 2009, 04:16 AM
firefox 3.1 beta 3 was better. 3.5 b4 didnt even come with any search engines. i can't find googles so im having to use cuil

wildman4god
April 30th, 2009, 01:40 PM
Great! Firefox is the best browser ever, except it needs to be faster.
And, you could try using a liveCD to use linux at school.

No I mean i can install it on my computer at college, but the network won't allow anything other than windows xp on it, so it's juts easier to use windows xp on my system until i move out on my own again.

sim-value
April 30th, 2009, 01:59 PM
Yup awesome

cl333r
April 30th, 2009, 02:37 PM
It is indeed a lot better, but the linux port is still not as fast as the windows one. Sunspider on windows completed within about 1500 ms and on Ubuntu (same computer) it took about 2500 ms.

Besides, the fonts used by FF 3.5 beta 4 (at least for me) on Ubuntu look too bold (and thus ugly).

SKLP
April 30th, 2009, 03:34 PM
It is indeed a lot better, but the linux port is still not as fast as the windows one. Sunspider on windows completed within about 1500 ms and on Ubuntu (same computer) it took about 2500 ms.Strange that a pure JS benchmark shows that big of a difference. AFAIK what's _clearly_ slower on linux are drawing related things (e.g. resizing the window). Also the linux version of the flash player is a lot more resource intensive.
Could it be that you are running a 64-bit version of firefox on your linux install and 32-bit ff in windows. It comes to mind because I know that at least in WebKit, the javascript JIT is not yet enabled in an x64 build. so maybe it's the same in gecko?

Besides, the fonts used by FF 3.5 beta 4 (at least for me) on Ubuntu look too bold (and thus ugly). I guess that's a bug, or because of some missing ubuntu integration plugin or similar. It simply does not abide by the hinting set in Appearance preferences ( and defaults to no hinting, hence the "fatter" fonts).

arkashkin
June 28th, 2009, 06:10 AM
I use Firefox 3.5 RC3 with Ubuntu Jaunty and there is very annoying bug in it, the address bar title does not change when i switch web pages.