PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] No input after Intrepid update

SteveHillier
April 29th, 2009, 03:54 PM
I had skipped the move to Intrepid, but as Jaunty is now out I thought time to move forward.
I have too much on the system to consider a complete wipe down and rebuild so go to the upgrade route.
Step 1 - upgrade 8.04 to 8.10.
All seemed to work OK. One little minor thing on the remove unsupported items I had wanted to keep the ubuntu calendar stuff I had so I looked at the list, highlighted one of the items and clicked 'keep' and it went off and finished to update.
So looking forward to a new beginning, rebooted the machine.
Looks fine, boots OK and presents the login screen.
Ah!!
I cannot type anything into the username box. Maybe the cursor is not located correctly so go to move the mouse
Ah!!
Move the mouse all you like but it isn't going to move the screen cursor.
So no screen input.
ctrl-alt-del will reboot the system
alt-F1, thru alt-F6 will take me to text logon screens. alt-F7 gets me back into X.
I am sure this must be an easy fix but I don't know where to start.
Any clues appreciated, or the roll back option if needed.
Many thanks
Steve

SteveHillier
April 30th, 2009, 11:16 AM
It always worries me when a problem gets posted, people view it, but no responses come back.
Hey, this is not a criticism of anyone, it just means I am on my own. Still I suppose this is how we learn!!
I will let you know how I get on.
Steve

SteveHillier
April 30th, 2009, 02:06 PM
OK guys, I bottled it.
I was only going through Intrepid on my way to Jaunty. SO knowing I can access the files on the old system in my new system I decided to do a complete new install of Jaunty.
NIES. Nothing Is Ever Simple.
When I tried to attach my second SATA disk I discovered that one of the SATA ports was broken. In fact I knew about it but had forgotten. So not only a new hard disk, but new motherboard, CPU and memory.
Have had Jaunty installed for half an hour so far. I like what I see. Well done team.
I consider this thread now closed.