PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone NOT upgrade every 6 months?

lyceum
April 29th, 2009, 03:45 PM
Does anyone NOT upgrade when the newest K/X/Ubuntu comes out? In not, why not?

zakany
April 29th, 2009, 04:00 PM
I have Ubuntu working just fine. For me, there's no compelling reason to upgrade, but since I jumped in at 8.10, I plan to upgrade to the next LTS version, probably a month or two after it comes out.

SuperSonic4
April 29th, 2009, 04:02 PM
I usually get the new development when it enters beta stage and run it on my spare hard drive. I still prefer rolling releases though, hence why I don't use kubuntu any more

wannadumpwindows
April 29th, 2009, 04:05 PM
I have three different puters, each running a different version.

Hardy on my desktop.

Intrepid on my laptop.

And Jaunty on my Eee PC.

I usually wait at least a couple weeks to upgrade when a new release comes out, or when I get bored and need something to do.

Everything is running flawlessly at this point though, so I haven't felt the need to upgrade and break what works. :)

Icehuck
April 29th, 2009, 04:08 PM
I usually like to upgrade to get newer versions of software, but I don't think I'll upgrade again until the next LTS. Unless something so amazing I can't live without gets added, I'll be on Jaunty for a while.

Irihapeti
April 29th, 2009, 04:11 PM
I did upgrade for the first couple of releases, which took me to Hardy. Since then, I've decided to stay with what works, partly because I've got a number of compiled packages and personal tweaks that I don't want to redo.

So, I'll upgrade to "Loping Lizard" when the time comes, but not necessarily straight away.

Carl Hamlin
April 29th, 2009, 04:11 PM
I tend to avoid the upgrade router specifically, and instead go for the 'backup my data, smoke the drive and install fresh from CD route'. Works a hell of a lot better for me that way.

This time is the first time I've intentionally held back on upgrading server, however - I upgraded my little server that I use to host a home-brewed application of my own, and that went fine, but the other server doesn't have a working CD-ROM, and 9.04 installed from USB just ain't working yet, so the big file server gets to stick with 8.10 until the kinks get worked out of installing from USB.

slakkie
April 29th, 2009, 04:12 PM
I'm not upgrading since the last time I've upgraded (from 8.04 to 8.10) it broke my system and they forced KDE 4.x on me. So I downgraded to 8.04 again and will probably wait for the next LTS release. Be aware that I only upgraded one box 6 months ago from 6.10 to 8.04. Keeping a stable system is more important then new or improved functions within Ubuntu. Most of them I do not use.

aysiu
April 29th, 2009, 04:15 PM
I think you have a biased survey sample.

You're more likely to find people who do frequent upgrades and go for the cutting edge in a forum whose primary membership consists of people invested in sharing tips and tricks with each other and generally being concerned with Ubuntu and Linux developments.

You're less likely to find people who just install an LTS release and then stick with it. Most of those people won't be spending a lot of time on a support forum (either supporting or asking for support). They'll just be using their computers.

Sunflower1970
April 29th, 2009, 04:27 PM
I usually wait a few weeks/months for some of the bugs to get worked out.

infoseeker
April 29th, 2009, 04:34 PM
I tend to avoid the upgrade route specifically, and instead go for the 'backup my data, smoke the drive and install fresh from CD route'. Works a hell of a lot better for me that way.

ditto

The temptation of new software, clean install, etc, is just too much to ignore :)

jerrrys
April 29th, 2009, 04:39 PM
at the time i started using ubuntu the choice was 8.04 or 8.10...8.10 had the usual problems that you see posted in the forum...8.04 for the most part worked out of the box...havent tried 9.04...think ill be an LTS'er from now on...

Bart_D
April 29th, 2009, 04:43 PM
I like new and fresh. I can't stand stale.

I update after the heat from the servers has reduced.

I will NEVER be a LTS'er...unless it is the most current release.

gn2
April 29th, 2009, 04:47 PM
Since starting with Linux I have upgraded, distro-hopped, uninstalled, re-installed, fiddled, tweaked, broke and fixed my way through various flavours of Linux.
All that has stopped, I'm bored with it.
I have made the decision to go back to and stick with 8.04.
The reason why?
Because it works and will continue to work for the next two years.

Dragonbite
April 29th, 2009, 04:49 PM

I did not update my Edubuntu installation since I installed 7.10 for a couple reasons. Most of which was I did not have a good means ot backup the system to keep the files and/or the whole system in case it borked.

I finally updated to 9.04 because now I have a home server set up and extra hard drives to install on and then move files over without risk.

Same with my laptop, I now have 2 drives so one is running 8.04 (my production system) and one I am testing 9.04 to make sure it all works (so far, so good.. I think Hibernate/Suspend is the last thing to test). Then it's a case of backup-install-restore files.

I would do a system upgrade, opposed to clean install, if I can just keep from adding a boatload of crap to "try it out"! ;) These last clean installs is in part from playing around with Xfce which I don't want on the new system, I don't want the applications and I don't want the system being tied up even longer trying to upgrade these applications just because they're installed.

My server, though, is staying 8.04 because it's LTS and I'm not interested in setting up cloud computing, etc. so there is little reason for me to upgrade. That, and I just got my book oon Ubuntu LTS Server Administration :) !

andras artois
April 29th, 2009, 04:52 PM
Going to wait about a month before I bother upgrading because thats when I get my new computer :)

NJC
April 29th, 2009, 05:08 PM
I had ONLY planned to install 9.04 on a separate, far-removed partition on the corner of my XP drive. Really ... it was all innocent enough. A bit of testing, boot here, install there - and right back to 8.04LTS. But 9.04 is so much faster and nicer to use: Better font rendering, faster boot times, no 3s internet lag, and quicker overall. So I find I'm booting mostly into 9.04.

TheIdiotThatIsMe
April 29th, 2009, 05:17 PM
I swore up and down I was going to stick with 8.04 LTS, and I did until about a week ago. But frankly, I had a lot of problems with PulseAudio, and the overall release wasn't as polished as the previous LTS (6.06, to this day my favorite release, but I hate going backwards so just chugging forward). So dist-upgraded to 8.10, and now 9.04, and without any problems at all. Jaunty has proved to be very stable and polished for me.

craigeo
April 29th, 2009, 06:46 PM
I upgrade as soon as I can ... usually during beta stages.
No point staying with the old.
I keep a good backup... if it breaks I just reload and restore.
No big deal.

Tristam Green
April 29th, 2009, 07:00 PM
Normally, I have to wait for server/mirror traffic to die down before i do my upgrades.

This time around, I was able to download and reinstall on release day :D

lovinglinux
April 29th, 2009, 07:10 PM
I was planning to install only LTS versions, but then Jaunty came out with interesting new features and since Hardy was my first and learning installation (possibly containing misconfigurations), I decided to jump on the bandwagon and do a clean install. I do not regret.

FuturePilot
April 29th, 2009, 07:16 PM
I usually upgrade one of my computers to the next version around Beta time to test it out and help test and report bugs. If it works good, then I upgrade the rest of my computers at release time. Why do I upgrade every 6 months? Because I want the latest software and features.

jespdj
April 29th, 2009, 07:26 PM
Didn't vote, because the option I'd choose is not there.

I skipped 8.10; I had 8.04 and did a fresh install of 9.04 two days after it came out.

lyceum
April 29th, 2009, 07:30 PM

You're more likely to find people who do frequent upgrades and go for the cutting edge in a forum whose primary membership consists of people invested in sharing tips and tricks with each other and generally being concerned with Ubuntu and Linux developments.

You're less likely to find people who just install an LTS release and then stick with it. Most of those people won't be spending a lot of time on a support forum (either supporting or asking for support). They'll just be using their computers.

That's cool, I was just curious. At this point, I am getting what I expected, most people wait for the heat to die down before upgrading.

calrogman
April 29th, 2009, 07:34 PM
I upgraded on release day from 8.04 to 9.04 (I skipped 8.10 due to compatibiltiy/stability issues).

billgoldberg
April 29th, 2009, 07:36 PM
I start using it from the RC.

But that wasn't in the poll, so I said from beta.

map84
April 29th, 2009, 07:38 PM
I upgrade at the realease day and I'm using the bandwith of the University to download the content.

lyceum
April 29th, 2009, 07:38 PM
I start using it from the RC.

But that wasn't in the poll, so I said from beta.

Yeah, I almost put RS/Beta, but I figured people would get it. :popcorn:

BrokenKingpin
April 29th, 2009, 07:43 PM
On my desktop I wait to see if there are issues before upgrading to the newest one, so usually about a week or two after the release.

I only upgrade my server to the new LTS releases (and I sometimes skip those as well).

EDIT:
I never really understood why so many people upgrade to the beta or even alpha versions of a new release. I get excited for the new releases just like everyone else, but I just don't see the point of jumping the gun and using a beta release (unless the previous version is broken on my machine and the new version resolves it). I guess I just don't have the time to setup all the different releases and prefer just to wait and setup the final release.

chriskin
April 29th, 2009, 07:45 PM
i upgrade as soon as alpha4 or alpha5 is out :)

ibuclaw
April 29th, 2009, 07:48 PM
I actually upgrade beyond the current version of Ubuntu in some instances.

I run Jaunty with a custom 2.6.30 pre-release kernel, and quite a few upstreams programs that I have tweaked and patched so they work to my needs.
These include customised versions of:

NVIDIA 185.18.04 beta drivers
sudo 1.7.1
apt 0.7.2
bristol 0.30.1

There are a few numerous others, most of which I forget about half the time :)

Spif
April 29th, 2009, 08:33 PM
On my laptop, I tend to run the latest and greatest.

My workstation, however, I don.'t upgrade unless I will gain something significant out of it, and I am certain whatever I am upgrading to will provide the same rock solid and bug-free experience. 8.04 is running like a champ here. Best operating system I've used, ever.

9.10 looks great, I just see no real killer features I cannot live without.

Bölvağur
April 29th, 2009, 09:05 PM
I do a mix, as I have both multi booting desktop and a laptop to play with.

the laptop went from 8.04 to 9.04 beta 3
the desktop is currently only 8.10 and will not be changed for some time.

0per4t0r
April 29th, 2009, 09:56 PM
try the liveCd first, and if it works okay, upgrade.

lisati
April 29th, 2009, 09:59 PM
I upgrade when I feel like it. I started with 7,04, skipped 7.10 and 8.04, went to 8.10. I have 9.04 on one of my machines.

hatten
April 29th, 2009, 10:02 PM
i use arch mainly, and just keep my ubuntu as a backup if arch would bork at a bad time. Therefore i don't upgrade it very often.

roachk71
April 29th, 2009, 10:34 PM
Since I use several applications which have to be built from source, I tend to wait until at least three months after release, to make sure enough bugfixes have been committed to the repositories (especially in the -dev and -devel library branches.)

Many of those development libraries and headers don't show up until later. Still, it's a very good policy, anyway. This was certainly the case when 6.04 was announced--the development team switched from an older version of the GNU Compiler Collection (GCC) to the latest, which broke quite a few binaries and kernel modules.

They had to delay the release a couple of months, and it became 6.06 instead.

Thirtysixway
April 29th, 2009, 10:51 PM
I usually upgrade either the day of, or the next day of the release on my Desktop. Server I'm still running 8.04, and I plan on keeping it on LTS.

I haven't upgraded to 9.04 on my desktop yet, but I will as soon as I get my computer back online.

SeanBlader
April 29th, 2009, 11:08 PM
I get started with a new version about 2 weeks before release, but I keep my mom's system on the latest LTS release. For me though, newest best driver support and fastest coolest interface is very important.

Tobine
April 29th, 2009, 11:25 PM
I would upgrade right away but they are always released when I'm most busy and can't afford to have any problems with my computer. I'm hoping that when I'm finished school I can start getting on board with the early releases and even do some beta testing :)

3Miro
April 29th, 2009, 11:35 PM
I sometimes just don't feel like upgrading. I wait to get a reason to do that. Trying KDE 4 was a reason to go from kubuntu 8.04 to 8.10 and ext4 is a reason to go to 9.04 (I would have started with the beta on that one, but I have been extremely busy at work).

Keithhed
April 29th, 2009, 11:40 PM
i upgraded because of most of the standard responses, ext4, speed. newest fastest etc. even though it takes a lil while to get the system configured just the way i want it, i will probably upgrade to karmic a couple weeks after release, when a few updates are out.

Mister LinOx
April 29th, 2009, 11:46 PM
I like to wait a couple weeks for the servers to cool down.

freebeer
April 30th, 2009, 12:05 AM
It depends on what role my machine is playing. My servers tend to stick with LTS releases. My desktops machines I tend to keep more current. I also have a dual boot XP/Ubuntu machine. That one tends to have the most current release once I get around to trying it out.

I don't fix what ain't broken, but I'm not against doing a little testing with the current release to see how things fare.

linuxology
April 30th, 2009, 12:31 AM
I'm still running Hardy. When you say upgrade do you upgrade or do you reformat and start over?

lyceum
April 30th, 2009, 11:59 AM
I'm still running Hardy. When you say upgrade do you upgrade or do you reformat and start over?

either

Hallvor
April 30th, 2009, 12:04 PM
I upgrade almost every day. :)

fletchoid
May 1st, 2009, 03:02 PM

Agreed. This "survey" is probably not statistically valid. However, some of the individual posts may have an interesting perspective.

I have upgraded twice since I first started using Ubuntu in 2008. I went from 8.4 to 8.10, had a few problems with my GRUB file and told myself I would NOT upgrade again until the next package was proven to be stable. Yeah, sure, and I am going to start going to the gym and lose some weight and eat more healthy foods. So, of course as soon as 9.04 came out, I had to upgrade, and ran into a nightmare of problems with sound and my ATI drivers. But, now, everything is working perfectly, and I love the new upgrade. But, NEXT TIME I will wait until the update is bug free and stable before I upgrade. And of course, lose that extra weight....;)

automaton26
May 1st, 2009, 03:44 PM
I only move to the latest when I get a new machine, or replace the hard drive.

And once it's working, I'll leave it alone - an OS is only there to enable me to use software applications.

If it ain't broke, don't fix I.T.

Thelasko
May 1st, 2009, 03:50 PM
I upgraded to Hardy from Gusty after the heat from the servers died down. I haven't upgraded since. Where does that put me?

I had problems with Feisty and Gusty, but Hardy works perfectly, why should I upgrade?

KOld Iron
May 1st, 2009, 04:19 PM
- I upgrade my test machine every 6 month (upgrade and clean install) to verify the new version
- If I can't find any serious problems AND the live CD also seems work fine on the hardware of my production machine I usually do the upgrade some weeks later.
- My wife's machine is on the 8.04 LTS version and will be upgraded only to the next LTS version. For what she does with her computer (a bit of mail, surfing, chatting and skypeing) LTS is just fine and she does not really care about the OS version.

Myself I am too much of an IT person to be able to resist the new version :). So the main question for my production system is only: Inplace-Upgrade or Clean Install, but it will be upgraded sooner or later.

RandomJoe
May 1st, 2009, 10:38 PM
I suppose in some ways I'm a bit "lazy" anymore. My main system gets upgraded rarely. I may not necessarily go with an LTS release, just whatever is "current" at the time I finally decide to upgrade. But I get so comfortable with how things are set up, and have so much that I depend on regularly, that I don't want to have to spend the time setting it back up. As a result, at times it may be 2-3 years between re-dos.

The server is the same way - it is still doing what I need it to do, why mess with it? It has gotten VERY far behind the releases.

All the other machines, though... I usually come up with something to do with one computer or another, load it with the latest-n-greatest, then play a while. After I'm done with that project (or get bored with it!) the machine sits for a while. Then the cycle repeats!

9.04 will likely see me update everything in relatively short order. I'm very impressed with what I see on my Eee PC of all things, I can't wait to see how it does on the C2D high-end system. Might even have to try 64 bit while I'm at it...

lyceum
May 4th, 2009, 02:01 PM
Agreed. This "survey" is probably not statistically valid. However, some of the individual posts may have an interesting perspective.

:lolflag:

This isn't science class, I was just curious and thought the poll would be fun!

:D

lyceum
May 4th, 2009, 02:07 PM
I am using Ubuntu 8.04 LTS for my work PC, Kubuntu 8.10 on my personal PC (have not had time to upgrade, but will reinstall with 9.04 when I get the chance) and run Ubuntu 9.04 via VMware Fusion on my MacBook for work. I use to upgrade once the RC came out, but now I wait until the heat from the servers dies down. I want to stay current so I get the best running machine. I always re-install, so if it doesn't work out, I can always re-install with the older model. That said, it has never not worked out.

mick222
May 4th, 2009, 02:13 PM
I usually upgrade at beta but keep the last release until i'm sure.Jaunty isn't perfect for me yet i installed 64bit but there still seems to be issues with java and my ati agp card isn't supported ,so i think I'll stick with Intrepid for a while. I usually have three distros two ubuntu plus a test of either mint which i like or fedora running on two hard drives.

mxboy15u
May 4th, 2009, 02:22 PM
Now that I have 2 computers running Netbook Remix happily I doubt I will be upgrading again. I cannot imagine all of my hard work going down the tubes with the next version.

toejamfootball
May 4th, 2009, 02:34 PM
I like to wait a little while....

BLTicklemonster
May 4th, 2009, 02:43 PM

It is my experience that the newest releases are only stable on top notch cutting edge state of the art platforms (probably), which constitutes only a portion of the entire community. I do sometimes download the latest release and burn it and install it on another partition, though, and sometimes they work, which is great, but for the most part, I just stay with what I've got until the problems settle down, then download the iso, burn it, install it, then migrate everything from home to the new install, and remove the old one once I'm sure things are stable.

ranch hand
May 16th, 2009, 11:41 PM
I have several installations on this box. I love Jaunty.

Our primary OS is Hardy.

Upgrading, if you are running 1 partition, is just silly. You get everything working, bugs are fixed and then you want to start over with teething problems? WTF?

Vostrocity
May 17th, 2009, 12:45 AM
Lol this poll has too many choices. It is confusing to simple minds. :D

TBOL3
May 17th, 2009, 12:55 AM
Just to make the whole thing more complex, you forgot my option...

"I upgrade when I darn well please."

That's right, I have no schedule whatsover. On my lappy, I'm still running 8.04, and am to lazy to upgrade. On my desktop, I've been running 9.04 since Alpha 5.

starcannon
May 17th, 2009, 01:15 AM
I usually "wait and see"; but at the moment all but my netbooks are running 8.04.