PDA

View Full Version : Good bye my drive

elliotn
April 29th, 2009, 02:10 PM
I would like to say Goodbye to my Samsung 80gb harddrive, yesterday it started giving me the following error,

SMART FALIURE PREDICTED IN SAMSUNG SD4008BD 80GB, BACKUP ALL YOUR DATA.
Press F1 continue...

Windows cant booth so I am just counting when will it die. Luckly my ubuntu is on a 20gb separate drive.

Record breaking I have killed 2 drives in 30 days

Sealbhach
April 29th, 2009, 02:17 PM
How long did they last?

elliotn
April 29th, 2009, 02:39 PM
The first one died after 1 and half year but the other one that is in process off dying is 60 days old and I bought it from a friend.

gaffurabi
April 29th, 2009, 02:44 PM
do you constantly kick your case? :)

that's why i cannot tell you how much i love SSDs!

megamania
April 29th, 2009, 02:48 PM
The first one died after 1 and half year but the other one that is in process off dying is 60 days old and I bought it from a friend.
Did you connect them to the same (old) cable? Try using a new cable, and also try changing socket on the mainboard (i.e., if it is connected to ata/sata 1, move it to number 2).

Last year I was going crazy because of a faulty cable...

Pasdar
April 29th, 2009, 02:51 PM
funny enough i've never had a drive give up on my, while i have drives from even 10 years back... lol

az
April 29th, 2009, 05:00 PM
The drive seems to be recognized by the bios, which means you may be able to image the drive. If there is any data on it you want to save, there is hope...

See http://help.ubuntu.com/community/DataRecovery

You will need another drive onto which to write the image; it needs to be the same size or bigger than the original.

Use gddrescue to image the drive. It will read and re-read the disk until it gets a perfect image. It can take a few hours or a few months.

Good luck.

elliotn
April 29th, 2009, 05:42 PM
That drive only win xp, and my media, I usualy use it as a media drive, my nephew usually boot to it to play games in win xp,