PDA

View Full Version : its a laptop thing

mrSgreen
April 29th, 2009, 01:46 PM
How about this..? Will laptop users like me ever see a complete ready to install Ubuntu on a widescreen without having to play around with config files and such. I ask only because there are more and more of these types of laptops being sold. I can't be the only one running into this problem. And I 'm stuck using Winblows.
Can you tell I don't like command/terminal. I'm a gui kind of guy. I know I can buy a Linux installed laptop online, but I won't use my credit/debit card online with a Win PC.
I see Ubuntu making great strides but until I can buy it in the stores.........:confused:

chucky chuckaluck
April 29th, 2009, 01:49 PM
are you talking about screen resolution? is that the only problem?

chrisinspace
April 29th, 2009, 01:51 PM
I installed Ubuntu on my laptop when I purchased it last year. I have not had any problems with the widescreen display. I didn't have to make any configuration changes to accomodate the format. I have a Dell Vostro with a 13.3 inch Widescreen WXGA LCD.

If you give us more information about your problems, we may be able to offer some solutions.

Pasdar
April 29th, 2009, 02:49 PM
The only distro/Ubuntu I have been able to install on my laptop is Ubuntu 9.04, and I have tried many.It's the first version that installed as easily, without me changing anything, like on my PC. Everything worked out of the box, no probs with widescreen. However, the ATI drivers were not in the hardware drivers update installation program. I installed the latest drivers from ATI website. I didn't like the slowness of it all. However, after I had installed the ATI drivers, the driver update appeared, installed the one from there. Speed went up a bit, but there is still a delay on 2 secs on many things that I do and video playback is choppy. This is weird because on my slower PC I can even play 1080p HD video without any choppiness, while I can't do that on the same PC with windows on it (funny enough, I can't even play 480p on windows properly in fullscreen).

So anyway, everything is slow, maximizing windows, etc, takes 2 sec delay... but when I run a game it runs it at max speed/settings... i don't get it.

mamamia88
April 29th, 2009, 02:53 PM
works great for me 1005%

Praxicoide
April 29th, 2009, 03:18 PM
I only had this problem back in 6.10, and it was fixed by installing i915resolution. In all subsequent releases the resolution was correct from the start.

Simian Man
April 29th, 2009, 03:27 PM
My laptop is a widescreen HP pavillion. It has had no trouble getting native resolution (1440x900) with any Linux distro. Have you tried installing the restricted drivers for your graphics card? What options does the screen resolution dialogue give you?

adw
April 29th, 2009, 03:36 PM
How about this..? Will laptop users like me ever see a complete ready to install Ubuntu on a widescreen without having to play around with config files and such. I ask only because there are more and more of these types of laptops being sold. I can't be the only one running into this problem. And I 'm stuck using Winblows.
Can you tell I don't like command/terminal. I'm a gui kind of guy. I know I can buy a Linux installed laptop online, but I won't use my credit/debit card online with a Win PC.
I see Ubuntu making great strides but until I can buy it in the stores.........:confused:
Tell us what make you have atleast.
As you see from previous posters, not all are experiencing issues with default installs of Ubuntu, me included.
I've got a Dell xps m1330 which was pre-installed with Vista. When i wiped it and installed Ubuntu 3 releases ago, it worked like a charm; and even though i enjoy commandline i didn't have to touch it to get up and running.
So, let us help you:)

luvdemheels
April 29th, 2009, 04:26 PM
I installed ubuntu 9.04 and the previous release on the acer widescreen I got at Christmas and they both worked fine.

I really like 9.04 btw.

Daveski
April 29th, 2009, 11:48 PM
How about this..? Will laptop users like me ever see a complete ready to install Ubuntu on a widescreen without having to play around with config files and such.

Oh dear. Well I have been booting all kinds of machines with the Ubuntu LiveCD since version 7.04 and all the widescreen laptops I have tried have always defaulted to the correct resolution on the widescreen display. All Dell D and E range Latitude laptops work fine.

Mehall
April 30th, 2009, 12:13 AM
My lapotp graphics worked fine once I added the nVidia proprietary drivers.

1280x800 perfectly automatic.

init1
April 30th, 2009, 01:54 AM
Depends on your hardware, and the release. Intrepid worked OTB for me, but Gutsy required some work to get running.

NFblaze
April 30th, 2009, 02:08 AM
i have a widescreen laptop.... I bought it in August and I installed Ubuntu 8.04 actually right after 8.10 came out (cuz my friend told me he had it and when I had ordered it from Amazon to be shipped here 8.04 was only out) on it which I must say sucked for me ... cuz the screen resolution sucked...and i didnt have wireless.....

Well, later on I downloaded Intrepid and did an update.. the screen resolution worked, and wireless worked. I didnt have to config a thing... I think it might be during what cycle your laptop was made...

As you see in mine I used 8.04 first even tho my laptop came out 4 months later.... and that fudged my screen..but using 8.10 it worked out the box.

MaxIBoy
April 30th, 2009, 02:19 AM
2) Learn the !@#$ command line. I am SO friggin' tired of people being too lazy to learn how to type hilariously simple commands. We're not asking you to start coding in python, just not to complain when you get told to run a three-word command.
+1

It's ridiculously easy to use, I had an non-technical kid (who, between you and me, was kind of an idiot) cruising around in it after five minutes of instruction.