PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu_studio] Running Windows & Linux on 2 hard-drives with virtualbox?

grichey789
April 29th, 2009, 11:34 AM
I much prefer Ubuntu, but for some things i need access to windows. Ive seen virtualbox, which makes things very convenient but I have a few questions. My goal is to run ubuntu in one desktop, with windows opened in the other desktop on ubuntu.

I am currently running both windows xp and ubuntu-studio 8.10 installed on top of windows. I need to reinstall windows completely (too many viruses), as well as reinstall ubuntu (incorrect install of the update).

Would it be best to use the CD provided with my computer containing windows and drivers to reformat and install windows, then install ubuntu or the other way around?

Would it be more stable/efficient/less complicated in the event of a crash to have both OS on one hard drive, or one on each? Can i run both OS in virtual box when using one hard drive for each OS?

I apologize for the barrage of questions and hope this is not a repeat post, i have only used linux for a few weeks.

Thank you for your help!

grichey789
April 29th, 2009, 01:21 PM
forgot to mention, each hard drive is 80G

if i were to use one hard-drive for both operating systems, how much space should i use for each partition? im guessing if that was my route of choice, it would be best to only use each partition for the OS and updates/programs, and use the other hard drive for media storage?